Tony Smith ???

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
100% Warrior

Tony Smith ???

Post by 100% Warrior »

Is it me or does it look increasingly likely that Tony Smith could be our new coach from next season ?

It says on Teletext that he has rejected an extended contract from the Giants and will leave at the end of this season.

I know that he has done a good job on limited resources but this does not mean he will do the business should he come to Wigan.

Opinions please !!!

Also, with the news that Nick Graham has signed for the Broncos from next year it would be interesting to know if he was in fact offered a deal at Wigan.

Personally I think he's been a solid reliable performer for the team and deserved an extended contract.

Still never mind.
NTA1

Re: Tony Smith ???

Post by NTA1 »

I agree with you. Sounds as though decision of Raper's replacement has already been made in the Wigan board room. I can't knock the man too much because he has done a good job with limited resources, but Huds still play 'dull' rugby.

I want a hard coach that will stand no messing from any player, especially ones that consider themselves bigger than the club. Leave it up to you to decide who I am talking about!

Shaun McRae would be good? I think he could do wonders with a motivator such as Edwards or Bell.

Views please.
ian.birchall

Re: Tony Smith ???

Post by ian.birchall »

Yes, I am worried about this possible appointment. I know I am in a minority but that doesn't make me wrong when I say that we have tried a second grade aussie coach already and another would be a disaster. Farrell has not been the same player since he lost his weight, I believe that successive coaches have tried to make him beef up without success and it is time that he stopped believing all the Sky (high) hype about himself and moved into the front row.
I am at least relieved that Graham is off to the Broncos if that is true, with our back row strength in Hock, Tickle, Wild and Allen and even Paul Johnson and this new lad Hansen, the back row is deinately one place we do not need to waste a reduced aussie import slot. Enough controversy for one posting except to say that I would like to have a winger who can score more than 2 superleague tries in 20 games.
Regarder une fille en bikini, c'est comme avoir un revolver chargé sur sa table:
Il n'y a rien de mal a ça mais il est difficile de penser à autre chose.

Now Europe is just for holidays.