Wigan versus Warrington

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Wigan_forever1985

Re: Wigan versus Warrington

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

Thought it was interesting listening to gelling after the game granted I was half listening but I'm pretty sure he said in the run up to one of the tries smith was calling the completely wrong defensive play and gelling just ignored him and went with what was actually happening.

Smith again was completely anonymous once wire started to press.

In fact it was a game a few good performances I would say Bateman can hold his head up high but the rest really have some soul searching to do
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
Southern Softy

Post by Southern Softy »

I thought we were showing signs of improvement in the last match and then - back to square one - or worse. No complaints about the result - we got what we deserved, although as an aside, I don't like what is creeping into the Warrington style - time-wasting and that irritating habit of making sure that an 'injured' player is right in the way of the PTB so that the clock is stopped and so in any impetus by the opposition.

My main worry was the how players like Burke and Isa are in a Wigan side. Burke looked unfit and didn't seem to grasp the basics of playing and Isa was totally anonymous.

In defence we need to sort out a method of filling in for Gelling, who doesn't seem to think that it is his responsibility. When Josh was left facing 3 Warrington players for the Penney try, Smith came in to help as best he could, while Gelling looked on from a few yards away instead of being a shield so that Josh could catch the 'bomb.' As for one of the other tries - he simply wasn't there at all and wandered into shot as Warrington were celebrating. It didn't affect the result but it might in a close match.

Thought Bateman was outstanding and contrary to others, I thought Smith's general kicking was very good last night.
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

I just can't see how you can say his kicking was good? He had an ok first half in terms of kicking and the greatest thing he achieved was one good drop out and one good long kick.

All the rest went right down the throat of a wing or full back and his kicks near the line of his ridiculously bad cross field kick were terrible!

Gildey schooled us on how to kick.

I truely believe with smith that the law of averages means he does a few good kicks per game but I fail to believe it has anything to do with skill as there is absolutely no consistency

In terms of wire slowing the plays down etc, that's what good teams do - if you look at how they played last night, they played in bursts. What was key to their victory last night was how they played after scoring each try they just mounted pressure.

Both Gidley and Carney for dragons when have been interviewed have spoke of the importance of territory and pressure and you can tell their experience is helping both teams respectively in that area

We on the other hand rely on trying to score of every play by running around like headless chickens hoping that someone will create something off the cuff
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
Southern Softy

Post by Southern Softy »

Bit harsh. Smith found touch from a restart which was smart and the majority of his kicks split the defenders and made Warrington begin their attack from close to their own line. The odd kick went down someone's throat, an error much like Gidley kicking one out on the full. Gidley's kicking was generally as good as anyone in SL, however.
Don't think we should pin the blame on last night's showing on one man on the field - off the field might be another story, though.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

TrueBlueWarrior wrote:
DaveO wrote:
TrueBlueWarrior wrote:
Clearly you are blind full stop, was it not you that keyed your own car? I said it's not 'just about poor coaching', meaning poor coaching is part of it along with players that aren't good enough, is that really that difficult to follow?
That comment about the car is in very poor taste TBW. :eusa9:

If the players aren't good enough why did Wane put them in the squad?

Isn't it obvious he has his favourites like Powell and basically any player he signed? Regardless of ability.

Monie was never close to players. Wane clearly is and it's a bad thing. He is not detached enough and so in my opinion makes poor choices.

The fact some of the players aren't good enough doesn't exonerate him from the charge of bad coaching when it was him who signed them or decide to go with them when they aren't ready and keeps picking them regardless.
DaveO, I will take comments about bad taste from many posters on here but unfortunately you are not one as there have been examples of you showing bad taste and insulting other posters!!
You will have a hard time finding a post where I actually insult people. Like everyone I may question other posters judgement or opinion but you won't find any snide remarks like that one you made.
As for the rest of your post due to the SC and the overall standard of SL dropping all SL teams have players in that are simply not good enough, it's a reflection of the sport in general!

Again I never said it did exonerate him from poor coaching so please stop putting words in my mouth that I have clearly not used, as it leaves a bad taste and it's something you do quite a lot!!

Due to the amount of injuries some players are asking to be played more than they should at their age and ability level and are not quite ready for week in week out RL!
Fair enough both I and keptinthedarkfans missed your point that you were basically saying the players as well as the coach aren't good enough but it did come across as you were using the poor standard of players to exonerate the coach to a degree.

The poor standard of players in SL affects all teams across the board equally or it should do but it doesn't seem to. Wire and Les Cats have made some good signings that are within the financial restrictions SL faces. We have not but have instead gone for bargain basement players like Isa and Tuatai along with promoting kids to the first team.

In my opinion this approach is down to Wane. I think it was Monie who said if you get two first team standard players out of an academy side you are doing well. Wane thinks he can produce an entire team like this. So if you want to argue we have poor players, fair enough but you also need to remember it was Wane who signed them or promoted them in the first place.
TrueBlueWarrior

Post by TrueBlueWarrior »

DaveO, I am not pro Wane at all and not blinded by certain positives he clearly has, ultimately he is the Head Coach of Wigan and we should be winning trophies something we have failed to do for 2 years irrelevant of any reasons/excuses!

However I think at times the forum goes overboard and tries to make him out to be worse than he is with evidence that just isn't there.

I think he is on borrowed time and if the players come back and improve us then great because I want to see us win things more than I want SW to fail, however if we don't then surely he has to go!!
'If you start listening to the fans it won't be long before you're sitting with them.' - Wayne Bennett
Tuigamala

Post by Tuigamala »

Was just a bad night for the lads. We didn't create our own luck last night, the penalties put us under the pump massively and you just cant do that when it's men against boys. Our discipline definitely needs looking at but still im going to bang the drum that we have so many top players missing what can we expect against the team sat at the top of the ladder. Im confident we can beat Wire with a full team so im not worried in the slightest. Stay positive folks. :D
"If there is no blood on the line, it is not rugby league"
(Russell Crowe)

josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Why does everyone think it is solely down to Shaun Wane as to wanting a team made up of Wigan Academy players?

Ian Lenegan & Kris Radlinski are as much, if not more, to blame than Wane IMO! They hold the purse strings & both are as guilty in wanting to keep the drawstrings pulled very tight!

Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
warriors01

Post by warriors01 »

Could not agree more Josie. If we would have been brave enough to sign Gidley, we would have solved our experience, leadership, goalkicking and scrum half problems at a stroke, instead we opted for Isa and Burke. And in return we would have a great chance of lifting both trophies this year. No doubt things will get better when we get full compliment back but we still lack all the qualities Gidley has. We need to be on the look out for next season for the next Gidley.
TrueBlueWarrior

Post by TrueBlueWarrior »

warriors01 wrote:Could not agree more Josie. If we would have been brave enough to sign Gidley, we would have solved our experience, leadership, goalkicking and scrum half problems at a stroke, instead we opted for Isa and Burke. And in return we would have a great chance of lifting both trophies this year. No doubt things will get better when we get full compliment back but we still lack all the qualities Gidley has. We need to be on the look out for next season for the next Gidley.
Maybe we are as we write!! :roll:
'If you start listening to the fans it won't be long before you're sitting with them.' - Wayne Bennett