Injury Update

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Injury Update

Post by josie andrews »

Injury Update

Dom Manfredi, Dom Crosby and Sean O’Loughlin in contention this week

Sam Tomkins could return against Hull FC

Wane using last year’s exit as motivation for Challenge Cup

Shaun Wane today updated fans on the injuries to the first team squad with positive news on several fronts.

Dom Manfredi (toe), Dom Crosby (knee) and Sean O’Loughlin (hamstring) all look set to feature this weekend at Dewsbury.

In a further boost to the Warriors Sam Tomkins could be set for a return to the DW Stadium next week for the First Utility Super League game with Hull FC.

“Dom Manfredi is back,” Wane said. “Dom Crosby and Sean O’Loughlin both have a chance this week. We’ve doubts on Lee Mossop, Taulima Tautai and Ben Flower though.

“Sam is training every day now so there’s a good chance he’ll be back for the Hull game.”

Wane admitted he was using Wigan’s early Challenge Cup exit from last year as motivation as his side get set to face Dewsbury.

“We showed that to the players.” He said.

“Our record in this competition is second to none. We went to Wembley a couple of years ago and beat Hull, a few years before that we beat Leeds and it was one of the best days of our lives. Some of the players spoke about it in our meeting and how important this competition is to us so we’ll use that motivation.”

http://www.wiganwarriors.com/news/2016- ... FxJtsC1.99
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Exiled Wiganer

Re: Injury Update

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

Now, nobody could accuse me of being a glass half empty sort, but am I alone in predicting that only Manfredi will play the week end, and Sam won't play against FC? We should still have enough for the Cup of course, but if there is one thing I won't miss when Wane goes it's this "may" "has a chance" "in the frame" "could be" variations of "no chance of any of these people playing but maybe the fans will buy some tickets thinking hey will"...
Or am I being too optimistice in thinking Manfredi will play?
menpond

Post by menpond »

Our record in the challenge cup is poor both under Wane and since 1995/6.Players know this ,and I assume they think Wane is clueless as his record shows.
mp
Stuwigan

Post by Stuwigan »

Am I missing something or did Wigan win the Challenge Cup with Wane as coach when we did the double ??
shaunedwardsfanclub

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

Can you believe Waney given he has cried wolf so many times? The sporting public deserve a little more honesty.
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Sam left out due to "respect" for Rams

Sam Tomkins’ won’t be rushed into action this weekend out of respect for Dewsbury, according to Shaun Wane.

The Rams are struggling in ninth place in the Championship, having lost their last four games in the competition.

But the sudden death nature of the Cup means Wane won’t take any chances with his line-up.

“It’s more respect to Dewsbury. I will be turning my strongest team out,” he said. “For example, if Lockers is fit he will play this week.”

Tomkins is back in full training having recovered from the knee surgery he had in November, but according to Wane needed ‘two to three weeks’ full training before making his second debut for Wigan.

And Wane has warned fans won’t see the best of the former Man of Steel for a couple of months given the time he has sat out on the sidelines.

“He won’t be winning the man-of-the-match, he won’t be scoring three tries but he will be competitive and that’s all I want from Sam,” said Wane.

“He’ll be wanting things to happen but I’m going to tell you now he isn’t going to kill it from game one because he’s been out for so long.”

Tomkins is expected to make his return in next Friday’s Super League clash with Hull FC.

Wane will get some relief this Sunday though with Dom Manfredi expected to make his first appearance since the loss to Warrington on April 1.

Dom Crosby and Sean O’Loughlin are also in the running to make returns.

But Lee Mossop, Ben Flower and Taulima Tautai remain doubts as injuries still bite into Wane’s options in the forwards.

And not wanting to become the victim of a Cup shock, Wane is refusing to take chances with his selections.

“Dewsbury are a good team. They are very good at home,” warned the boss who coached his side to a 58-6 Cup win over the Rams in 2014.

“They’ve had a few poor results the last few weeks but they’ve not been far off.

“It was tough last time we played there for 60 minutes and they fell away at the back end but they might not do that this time.”

http://www.wigantoday.net/sport/wigan-w ... z47r7CeU7N
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
keptinthedarkfans

Post by keptinthedarkfans »

Every one knows my veiws on wane. But this imo he can't be blamed for. Dont think he deliberatly tells lies just to get bums on seats. He is guided by the people around him including the player himself on there fitness levels. And these are only estimated time scales.But I do believe Sams injury is a lot worse than the club are letting on.
Exiled Wiganer

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

I read the latest scoop as... "the fans can look back to the Warrington game as a high point on the injury front, as we will be playing for the next month with an even weaker side." No worries though, as the club and I will continue to trot out the official line of "everyone's close/may/could/in the frame as an already dire season slips further and further down the pan".
AdamMac

Post by AdamMac »

He and the club are taking the you know what out of us, the fans.

Its pathetic.

There's no reason why they can't given a detailed, insightful update on the position of each player in terms of their injuries.

Other clubs do it, warrington are particularly good at doing it.

i cringe at most of wanes interviews these days, shambolic.

I will be taking NO notice of the 19 that gets named two days before the game, because we must be the unluckiest team in the world as we always have a few deemed unfit or getting injured AFTER the squad is named and prior to the match ;-0.
Stuwigan

Post by Stuwigan »

Wane bashers out again in force... Maybe we could ask for all the medical records of all the injured players and there recovery rates so the fans will be able to plan whether to believe the club or not with injuries. Also get detailed info on the rehab and how they are progressing but I think even this would not please some