Forwards win matches

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
shaunedwardsfanclub

Forwards win matches

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

Ours are powder puff, Mossop is a shadow of his former self as is Joel. Isa is not good enough for Wigan and TT must be the biggest earner at Wigan given the amount he is paid compared with the minutes he plays (but that is down to Waney). We badly need Faz and Benny back plus JB in the forwards.
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
DaveO

Re: Forwards win matches

Post by DaveO »

shaunedwardsfan​club​ wrote:Ours are powder puff, Mossop is a shadow of his former self as is Joel. Isa is not good enough for Wigan and TT must be the biggest earner at Wigan given the amount he is paid compared with the minutes he plays (but that is down to Waney). We badly need Faz and Benny back plus JB in the forwards.
Wane said in his after match comments they were much bigger than us.

Well Faz ain't that big either and Wane recruited Isa as a forward so if we lack size and as I said elsewhere Wane has said this before, who's fault is that?
menpond

Post by menpond »

Both Farrell and Bateman are too small to be RL forwards. Latter is a centre,and former should be playing for Leigh.Former could be a better stand off than Smith. He can run ,just about,tackle ,and put a man through a gap.On half his probable current wages. Get Denis Betts in to sort it out?He ought to know what a second row looks like.
mp
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Remember Sydney CIty and how we were going bigger and bigger? What happened? NOTHING Wigan have some size IMO but the reality IMO it is not the size of the dog but the fight in the dog that matters. Ultimately, our coach is dumb, his game plans go backwards and everything we get is down to his poor coaching.

Several players seem to have a divine rightto walk into this team, even re-sign. Joel is not cutting it, Moose is useless. Worse you have to question Wane in terms of judging players. He seems incapable of doing so. Isa is not a good signing and if we expect Wane to pluck a great player from another team or the NRL it is not going to happen.
AdamMac

Post by AdamMac »

After we lost to the roosters both IL&SW went on record to say we were to small and that we will now look to recruit accordingly! 3 years ago that. To still run this Lin is frankly embarrassing!
Wandering Warrior

Post by Wandering Warrior »

cpwigan wrote:Remember Sydney CIty and how we were going bigger and bigger? What happened? NOTHING Wigan have some size IMO but the reality IMO it is not the size of the dog but the fight in the dog that matters. Ultimately, our coach is dumb, his game plans go backwards and everything we get is down to his poor coaching.

Several players seem to have a divine rightto walk into this team, even re-sign. Joel is not cutting it, Moose is useless. Worse you have to question Wane in terms of judging players. He seems incapable of doing so. Isa is not a good signing and if we expect Wane to pluck a great player from another team or the NRL it is not going to happen.
Dare I say the best performing player when he came back is now at Hull KR?
When John Byrom plays on snow, he doesn't leave any footprints - Jimmy Armfield
Panchitta Marra

Post by Panchitta Marra »

shaunedwardsfan​club​ wrote:Ours are powder puff, Mossop is a shadow of his former self as is Joel. Isa is not good enough for Wigan and TT must be the biggest earner at Wigan given the amount he is paid compared with the minutes he plays (but that is down to Waney). We badly need Faz and Benny back plus JB in the forwards.
Thought we added more go forward with TT last night SEFC?
shaunedwardsfanclub

Panchitta Marra wrote:
I agree PM so why was he not on the pitch for longer? I wasn't criticising his performance more the coaches decision to play him for just a short period.
shaunedwardsfanclub

cherry.pie wrote:We've got quite a few small players and a hell of a lot of players who have converted from one position to another. We don't really have any big name props and our back row is small.

We've got Farrell, Bateman and O'Loughlin who I have no issue with except that it's quite lightweight on the edges. However both Faz and Bateman are stronger than they look.

Joel Tomkins has looked poor since his return. He's no doubt on a big contract but his performances certainly don't merit that. He's going the way of Lee Smith post-RU. Going from an England international to average Super League standard or worse. He seems to have lost his mobility. Perhaps he should move to prop, although that would be yet another in the category that I am going to complain about next.

Spot on CP. I would add that we seem obsessed with putting size on our guys, probably because they are not naturally big. The Aussies on the other hand want players to be physically big but mobile. Our mentality is akin to asking a boxer to put two stones to box in a higher weight category and then expect them to perform to the same standards - few can do it.

How many props do we have that are converted back row forwards? I know that for some players it's a seamless transition, but we just seem to be lacking something. We have props with good footwork but little power.

Flower, on his day, is a very good prop. Not one of the very best in Super League but he can be effective. What you need alongside him is a bigger guy to compliment him but that rarely happens.

Mossop is big enough for a prop but doesn't make any real impact going forward and is weak defensively.
Clubb is a former centre who is good defensively but ineffective running the ball in.
Crosby is big enough for a prop but rarely runs his weight. He was very good on his return from injury, he's had some good games previously, but he's so inconsistent. He's done nothing to suggest that he's worth being a first choice prop.
Tautai caused Hull problems last night. He changed the game when he came on. A big, strong, athletic prop forward. We don't have any other prop comparable to him, yet his size and power made all the difference. It doesn't take a genius to work out what we're lacking.
Sutton, he's a promising young player but he's still a bit ineffective taking the ball into contact. He's inconsistent but most young forwards are. He's played 40 first team games and he's only 20. I worry he's being overplayed.

Isa, I wasn't sure about his signing but I'm far from convinced. He runs the ball very hard and he works hard when fully fit. However, where's the ball playing ability? He seems like an average player and I don't know what he adds to the side that provides something different.

Also, after a promising start, Powell's performances at hooker have dipped. Perhaps he's being overplayed. We don't have anyone to bring on to change the tempo or offer something a little bit different which is becoming an issue.
Panchitta Marra

Post by Panchitta Marra »

shaunedwardsfan​club​ wrote:
Panchitta Marra wrote:
I agree PM so why was he not on the pitch for longer? I wasn't criticising his performance more the coaches decision to play him for just a short period.
Sorry SEFC, I picked up more on the "highest earner" part.
He deserves more time, having improved very much this season.
Gells, JB and TT have been my stand outs this season.
I like the look of young Gregson going forward to the future and think we're missing Faz.