Wigan v Hull

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
fozzieskem

Re: Wigan v Hull

Post by fozzieskem »

Trying desperetly to take some solace from that game and I cant it was woeful,in fairness despite the score at Dewsbury the side was as disjointed as it was last night frankly so it shouldnt be a surprise.

Hard to pick one player for scorn as most where terrible,i exclude Bateman from that of course,credit though to Hull look a very good side who've spent well.

One thing though as bad as that was and I thought Warrington was far worse, someone started to shout "rubbish" at the team as they walked round at the end,yes it was rubbish but c'mon you dont yell that when you can clearly hear it as the stadium was emptying no matter how bad the performance was.

I'mno softie and I let rip when things are bad but lets be fair those lads take a physical hammering they know when (or should know)theyve played poorly.
Owd Codger

Post by Owd Codger »

fozzieskem wrote:Trying desperetly to take some solace from that game and I cant it was woeful,in fairness despite the score at Dewsbury the side was as disjointed as it was last night frankly so it shouldnt be a surprise.

Hard to pick one player for scorn as most where terrible,i exclude Bateman from that of course,credit though to Hull look a very good side who've spent well.

One thing though as bad as that was and I thought Warrington was far worse, someone started to shout "rubbish" at the team as they walked round at the end,yes it was rubbish but c'mon you dont yell that when you can clearly hear it as the stadium was emptying no matter how bad the performance was.

I'mno softie and I let rip when things are bad but lets be fair those lads take a physical hammering they know when (or should know)theyve played poorly.
I agree, especially when television is present.

But every club has its fickle element who can't take the rough
with the smooth!

p.s. And if they think last night was rubbish, they should have been around in the seventies.
Kittwazzer

Post by Kittwazzer »

Whelley Warrior wrote:
with the smooth!

p.s. And if they think last night was rubbish, they should have been around in the seventies.
Sorry but I have never bought into that argument. People watch in and for the present and are allowed to react accordingly. We played well in the 60's, had a torrid time in the 70's after the strike. We turned the corner in the 80s and early 90s and started to ease off again. As well as I recall the seventies, for me our lowest ebb was June 2005 with 70-0 and 75-0 in consecutive weeks. But that is all in the past and the past is a different country.
shaunedwardsfanclub

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

Whelley Warrior wrote:
josie andrews wrote:I said at the start of the season that Hull would be in the top four this year. They've recruited well whereas we haven't, again!! ????

Their pack is awesome!

We have the smallest/lightest pack, make that team, in SL & probably the Championship too.

We may be fit but you need weight & brawn to tackle opposition players!

Well done FC, I never expected us to win tonight anyway so not too disappointed ????
Radford is a former player of Bradford Bulls at the time they were renowned for having a big pack.

Our problem apart from having a small pack in comparison with Hull FC and Warrington is that with the odd exception, we are not rough enough. The only time last night when we looked good was in the spell when Tautai was on the pitch and like Bateman prepared to get stuck in and mix it with their players.

Plus we do not have half backs like other clubs and especially no proper Stand Off.
Whose fault is that?
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
shaunedwardsfanclub

Whelley Warrior wrote:
fozzieskem wrote:Trying desperetly to take some solace from that game and I cant it was woeful,in fairness despite the score at Dewsbury the side was as disjointed as it was last night frankly so it shouldnt be a surprise.

with the smooth!

We are very poor to watch.
shaunedwardsfanclub

ian.birchall wrote:
shaunedwardsfan​club​ wrote:
Cherry_Warrior wrote: Here Here :eusa17:

Prime example of Shaun Wanes expertise. Taking Gildart off and putting an injured Sarginson back on because he thinks he's more experienced. I just wish he would actually grow a spine and do whats right by Wigan. I can guarantee my house Lockers, Joel, Crosby and ISA will be first on his team sheet next week but after that performance they wouldn't get a reserve game for me. Is this just me who thinks this or im I going insane? Does form count for anything these days or is it a case of who you know or how much dosh your on?
You've missed two players off that list Cherry, Mossop and Smith they are both bloody awful and have been for some time but they seem bullet proof!
Think you are being unkind there as I'm not sure Joel was on the pitch tonight.
He was.
TrueBlueWarrior

Post by TrueBlueWarrior »

thegimble wrote:
DaveO wrote:
Kittwazzer wrote: Done my growing up Dave. I reckon its your turn now!
Well you could have fooled me with comments like that.
For a change I agree with DaveO that initial dig is a childish a post as you can make. People have a dig at CP but at least he will discuss the comment and not go personal at a poster regardless if you agree with him or not.
cp has been personal at times to posters gimble and constantly calling SW 'dumb' I find hard to swallow, I just don't like that word!!

Having said that I think it would be very hard to find a poster that hasn't been personal at some point, I just put it down to a passion for Wigan and frustration, rather than anybody being a particularly nasty person!

I also agree cp does talk a lot of sense at times!!
'If you start listening to the fans it won't be long before you're sitting with them.' - Wayne Bennett
Southern Softy

Post by Southern Softy »

Well - rushed back from France last night, secure in the knowledge that we had a nearly full-strength side out but wary of a decent Hull side and I'm still trying to come to terms with what I saw.
I can't remember a match when not one of the 17 had what you could call a good match. I guess I'd exclude Sam who didn't do too much wrong and Dom, who must have thought he was playing union as the ball never seemed to come to him for the first hour.
It pains me to say it but that must have been the worst game that SOL has ever played for Wigan and Lee Mossop seems to have gone back a year in his tackling capability. Not really right to single out players but I didn't understand why we signed Isa when we did and I still don't.
With Bateman and Gildart I was reminded of Trent Barrett (and I can't believe the comments about him on the forum recently) who often went down blind alleys because he reasoned that the side was playing so badly, he was the only one who could change things on the field and so looked selfish. The Gildart and Bateman solo tries must have made them feel that they had to do things on their own and so their solo attacks looked misguided.
What did worry me more than anything was that after an abysmal start - at 16-18 with 20 minutes left, there seemed only one possible winner as Hull looked dead and buried. Instead it was Wigan that made errors, leaked tries and seemed to run out of gas. That points to either a lack od belief in the way that they are being trained to play or something wrong in the training.
Without Flower, we have no consistent go-forward and without Farrell, we have no one who can inspire the team by bursting tackles.
I simply don't understand how we have come to this state of affairs but I do know it needs an intervention to change things - it won't get better just by doing more of the same.
The booze hound

Post by The booze hound »

Southern Softy wrote:Well - rushed back from France last night, secure in the knowledge that we had a nearly full-strength side out but wary of a decent Hull side and I'm still trying to come to terms with what I saw.
I can't remember a match when not one of the 17 had what you could call a good match. I guess I'd exclude Sam who didn't do too much wrong and Dom, who must have thought he was playing union as the ball never seemed to come to him for the first hour.
It pains me to say it but that must have been the worst game that SOL has ever played for Wigan and Lee Mossop seems to have gone back a year in his tackling capability. Not really right to single out players but I didn't understand why we signed Isa when we did and I still don't.
With Bateman and Gildart I was reminded of Trent Barrett (and I can't believe the comments about him on the forum recently) who often went down blind alleys because he reasoned that the side was playing so badly, he was the only one who could change things on the field and so looked selfish. The Gildart and Bateman solo tries must have made them feel that they had to do things on their own and so their solo attacks looked misguided.
What did worry me more than anything was that after an abysmal start - at 16-18 with 20 minutes left, there seemed only one possible winner as Hull looked dead and buried. Instead it was Wigan that made errors, leaked tries and seemed to run out of gas. That points to either a lack od belief in the way that they are being trained to play or something wrong in the training.
Without Flower, we have no consistent go-forward and without Farrell, we have no one who can inspire the team by bursting tackles.
I simply don't understand how we have come to this state of affairs but I do know it needs an intervention to change things - it won't get better just by doing more of the same.
Crikey that was a tough read, but so, so right. (In my opinion)
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Whelley Warrior wrote:

with the smooth!

I don't like that sort of shouting either! Some men waited deliberately on the steps to shout disgusting abuse to the players as they came to applaud the fans. I find that sort of behaviour appalling I don't care how bad they play! There is no need for that.

I think some "supporters" need to look at the club crest & read the motto ????
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan