WAS THE REF REALLY AS BAD AS HE LOOKED?

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
FROM A TO B

WAS THE REF REALLY AS BAD AS HE LOOKED?

Post by FROM A TO B »

I don't think in this instance it made any difference to the outcome, but how the hell would he have managed without the VR? So many changes of decisions and bad calls (for both sides). Wigan on a team warning twice and FC once but with no further action and IMO for no reason (unless he like to pretend to be a helicopter).
My concern is that the game could have boiled over as he seemed to have no control or idea as to what he was doing.
Like I say, don't think it made much difference to the result, but had it been a lot closer!
Warrior came
Warrior saw
Warrior conquered
Warrior came
Warrior saw
Warrior conquered
DaveO

Re: WAS THE REF REALLY AS BAD AS HE LOOKED?

Post by DaveO »

I didn't think he was in control and players from both sides were telling him what to do at various points and he did it!

You could argue some of his decisions were wrong that led to at least one Hull try and once you go behind that alters the game anyway but the mistakes we made were the reason we lost. We got to within two points undoing a lot of the damage inflicted by the ref or our own stupidity but then let them run away with it again.
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

i couldnt go to the match so i watched on TV
the reffing wasn't that bad. he missed a couple both ways and that O'loughlin straddling call was a joke, however we did have our hands under to slow the ruck and so did FC. a ruck speed was decided on and both teams were punished for trying to slow it.
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

The only thing that frustrated me was the continual referals to the VR to "just check that". As far as I'm aware, this is not allowed - at least the fans haven't been informed of a clear set of circumstances where the VR can be used by the on field ref. And it seems to be creeping more and more into the refs mind that they can check everything. It even ends up with embarrasing situations where the has been no "offical" VR referal, and yet the decision on the field is reversed after 30 seconds of standing about. The fans at the game must wonder what the hell is going on.

I'd prefer a very clearly defined set of VR situations which IMO should be only associated with a potentially try scoring play. Everything else we live and die by the whim of what the onfield officials see (just like all non-televised games). I'd also have a second ref which I think we could now do becuase the SL matches are so spread around the weekend.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Wiganer Ted

Post by Wiganer Ted »

He left a few of us confused around where I was sat.
However it wasn't as frustrating as us giving away 2 daft pens and Hull scoring from both. Then the complete mix up for their 3rd try.

We need to look at why we conceded 16 points in the first 16-17 mins, then just 2 until around 20 to go and then another 12 and could have been 16 at least if Hull hadn't got themselves all over the place and offside.

That first and last quarter were disasters. That should be the main focus and the club this week. This fan will be looking for an improvement on that for Saturday.
As for the ref, I found more fault with our game than his!
Southern Softy

Post by Southern Softy »

Patently it wasn't one of Thaler's finest 3 hours (or however long the match seemed to last) but for once we were far more culpable than the referee.
It wouldn't have mattered who reffed the match the way that we played in the first and last quarter.
WiganWoman1968

Post by WiganWoman1968 »

Mike wrote:The only thing that frustrated me was the continual referals to the VR to "just check that". As far as I'm aware, this is not allowed - at least the fans haven't been informed of a clear set of circumstances where the VR can be used by the on field ref. And it seems to be creeping more and more into the refs mind that they can check everything. It even ends up with embarrasing situations where the has been no "offical" VR referal, and yet the decision on the field is reversed after 30 seconds of standing about. The fans at the game must wonder what the hell is going on.

I'd prefer a very clearly defined set of VR situations which IMO should be only associated with a potentially try scoring play. Everything else we live and die by the whim of what the onfield officials see (just like all non-televised games). I'd also have a second ref which I think we could now do becuase the SL matches are so spread around the weekend.
I did cringe when the crowd started singing " you don't know what you're doing!" because that usually makes the ref go even more against us but, as others have said, we were our own worst enemy on Friday night.

Owd Codger

Post by Owd Codger »

I have always rated Thalor as being the best of a poor bunch, but on Friday, he was very poor.

What concerns me more is the Touch Judge called Sherad who seems to have a down on Wigan and turns a blind eye to anything to help us in every game he attends.

DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Whelley Warrior wrote:I have always rated Thalor as being the best of a poor bunch, but on Friday, he was very poor.

What concerns me more is the Touch Judge called Sherad who seems to have a down on Wigan and turns a blind eye to anything to help us in every game he attends.

Is he the one who looks overweight, bald who "runs" along the East touchline? If so he is useless.
Owd Codger

Post by Owd Codger »

DaveO wrote:
Whelley Warrior wrote:I have always rated Thalor as being the best of a poor bunch, but on Friday, he was very poor.

Is he the one who looks overweight, bald who "runs" along the East touchline? If so he is useless.
Yes, not only useless, but has a bias against us as proved on more than one occasion this season.