Joe Burgess

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
jao711

Re: Joe Burgess

Post by jao711 »

Joe has been picked again for thie next game against the Bulldogs.Let's not get too excited.
shaunedwardsfanclub

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

Mike wrote:I wouldn't have him back. He was unproven when he left - anyone can have a good first season, you've got to back it up year after year to be a proven player. And if he's forced back after one season his confidence will be shot.
I'd have him back in a heartbeat. He was the only player we had that could score a length of the field try. I hope that he makes it in Sydney though.
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
keptinthedarkfans

Post by keptinthedarkfans »

shaunedwardsfan​club​ wrote:
Mike wrote:I wouldn't have him back. He was unproven when he left - anyone can have a good first season, you've got to back it up year after year to be a proven player. And if he's forced back after one season his confidence will be shot.
I'd have him back in a heartbeat. He was the only player we had that could score a length of the field try. I hope that he makes it in Sydney though.
+1 AGREE
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

One season wonder
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

medlocke wrote:One season wonder
But he did it for two seasons?

Had a poor start to the second season but once he was over the hump he was class.
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
Panchitta Marra

Post by Panchitta Marra »

Hampshire can fair trek too SEFC, I've seen him keep up with budgie to back up. Dare say he couldn't keep up over the 90m.
Do you think this is part of our game we've desperately missed this season, the ability of a winger with the pace of Burgess to finish off on the left flank.
We were always strong and pretty quick on the left with Faz, George Carmont and Budgie.
Wiganer Ted

Post by Wiganer Ted »

I'd have Joe Burgess back in an instant.
A top class wingman if ever there were one.
Can score from 10 mtrs or 100.
Manfredi is the only wingman in SL who can come close.
Panchitta Marra

Post by Panchitta Marra »

medlocke wrote:One season wonder
52 tries in 55 games from 2 and a little bit seasons.
Wigan top try scorer with 26 just before he departed, therefore his total is approx 26 tries per season.
One season wonder ????????
shaunedwardsfanclub

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

Panchitta Marra wrote:
Hampshire can fair trek too SEFC, I've seen him keep up with budgie to back up. Dare say he couldn't keep up over the 90m.
Do you think this is part of our game we've desperately missed this season, the ability of a winger with the pace of Burgess to finish off on the left flank.
We were always strong and pretty quick on the left with Faz, George Carmont and Budgie.
Budgies type only need half a chance to win you a game. The try he scored at Magic last season was right out of the top drawer and one that very few in SL could score.
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Panchitta Marra wrote:
shaunedwardsfan​club​ wrote: I'd have him back in a heartbeat. He was the only player we had that could score a length of the field try. I hope that he makes it in Sydney though.
Budgies type only need half a chance to win you a game. The try he scored at Magic last season was right out of the top drawer and one that very few in SL could score.
It was his vision that set him apart as a special player for me.

Sever times he'd be going full tilt down the wing and when he was going to be closed down had the presence of mind to actually look inside to pass (not just toss the ball away hopefully) and he'd give an accurate pass to such as Faz leading to a try.

Sometimes he would kick but it wasn't a speculative kick either, it was intended for the supporting player.

This is so far ahead of virtually any of our current backs bar Sam most of whom don't know what is going on around them half of the time and even if they do simply do not have the "time on the ball" Budgie has to do this.

For a young player to have this skill shows he is a natural.