Dr Revolution

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
Wigan_forever1985

Re: Dr Revolution

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

Mike wrote:I'd like some details on exectly what could be done better.

ALso, I'm very dubious of their "generally better overall" finanacial picture statement. Didn't we lose a huge amount of funding recently because our participation levels are falling? I imagine they mean the the SKY deal is a bit more than it was.
I think if you strip away all of the ideas that would be great in an ideal world you are left with only a few realistic options for halting the decline of the sport.

I think most on here myself also have alluded to the fact the standard has dropped in the Superleague, this in part is due to the influx of people leaving for NRL and Union.

The obvious solution is for the UK teams to pay more - but we all know that isnt probably feasable without outside investment, furthermore with the product itself losing its appeal to die hard fans outside investment is likely to be harder.

So i think in truth there is only one realistic option to halt the decline and that is to shrink the league. That way you condense the talent pool creating more competitive teams. More competitive teams of better talent will once again increase the spectacle of the matches.

The money from sky will go further across a smaller pool also allowing for wages to be heightened on top players. [/b]
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

He's elaborated a bit and is now saying that SL should have control over its own finances and governance and he is right.

The RFL went for the "whole game approach" where the Sky money is diluted across all the teams.

Couple that with jumping at Sky and not putting the TV deal out to tender it is obvious why the fully profession end of it (i.e. SL) is strapped for cash compared to the NRL.

I am sure the RFL think their "whole game approach" is doing the right thing by all the clubs but they ignore the realities of professional sport. With the money they got they can't afford it.

I have been saying all this ever since it became a reality with the reorganisation.

The RFL have their heads in the sand.

Panchitta Marra

Post by Panchitta Marra »

I may be wrong but a big increase in Salary cap may sink smaller clubs trying to keep up with the main big outfits.
1995 Workington Town fought to maintain SL status finishing 5th from bottom of the league in that inaugural season.
The very next season they nearly went bust, failing to pay the wages of players like Jimmy Pickering, Rowland Phillips, Phil McKenzie and others. Those players were released and Town hit the slippery slope down and never to recover. They would have a fan Base of maybe 2500 to 4500 per game, not much different from Wakefield are now at a guess.
The bigger teams like Wigan, Leeds, Sintelins, Warrington could attract and keep players on bigger salaries, but how would it affect teams like Wakefield,Huddersfield, Castleford and Widnes (used as examples only).
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

Seem like he's acting out because he's upset to me. He had a hour long conference to lay out a well thought out plan of how to take the SL forward, but as far as I can see he just said the RFL aren't very good at policing the salary cap, and even if there is a breakaway he wouldn't lead it.

I'd be amazed if he gets any more than the Hull KR chairman involved in supporting this "break-away". IL certainly won't IMO, its got zero substance.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

The biggest issue he has

The big clubs are happy to leave things cheap and the poor clubs can't afford to change things anyway
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
cow yeds

Post by cow yeds »

He has the backing of all chairmen except for Leeds and Widnes.
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

cow yeds wrote:He has the backing of all chairmen except for Leeds and Widnes.
Well if he does then I expect a breakaway to be announced on Friday.

Its one thing saying everyone supports you and another to get them to actually support you in a major reorganisation of how the sport is run when you don't even have a plan for what that should be.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
shaunedwardsfanclub

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

cow yeds wrote:He has the backing of all chairmen except for Leeds and Widnes.
I hope so, let Leeds and Widnes play the likes of Featherstone.
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
Owd Codger

Post by Owd Codger »

Koucash has only said he is holding talks with other club chairmen and that does not mean that he has the support of all of them.

As for the Super League splitting away as a separate organisation, I seemed to recall the this was the case when Super League was introduced in 1996 and it was then called Super League Europe.

And I suspect that some will follow the direction of Leeds when it comes to voting, especially in Yorkshire.

keptinthedarkfans

Post by keptinthedarkfans »

cherry.pie wrote:Ian Lenegan suggested 3 years ago that Super League clubs should be given greater control of their finances and have a greater say in the commercial management of the competition. That was during the 'walk out' during the general meeting led by Lenegan, during which there was plenty of talk of a rift but differences seemed to be settled to some extent.

Koukash seems to want something similar (but also a lot more). I don't think all of his suggestions are sensible and I still have a feeling it mostly boils down to ego and self interest with him, but then there are plenty of people within the game who share that problem.

Even though I think he's pushing this for the wrong reasons it could actually lead to the start of a shake up that the game desperately needs, but it could also become a power struggle and a battle of egos that ultimately ends up being detrimental to the game.

The timing of this doesn't seem great, because it seems to tie in with his frustrations over the salary cap. That means it could easily be painted as sour grapes; and it's a genuine possibility that he just has a problem with people telling him he can't do what he wants.

A meeting between representatives of all Super League clubs and the RFL to discuss more control for clubs and even the possibility of a split is something that should definitely happen in my opinion.

The problem is he needs to convince the other chairman that his aim is to bring about much needed improvements to the game, rather than to continue a vendetta.

I think you have hit the nail on the head Cherry. He has is work cut out convincing the rest of the clubs that this is not just a vendetta because of his treatment from the rfl. Imo would carry a lot more weight should another club owner take this forward.