Powell

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Wigan_forever1985

Powell

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

How well has he done since MM got injured. A lot of people myself included had written him off but he hasnt let anyone down and i believe he is the 2nd highest tackler in superleague

Makes you wonder what will happen when MM comes back as he will obviously have to make way, but as was raised on another thread he's played 80mins without an issue so going back to rotating hookers seems superfluous

does he have a future at 9? or is he worth another go in the halves?
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
Caboosegg

Re: Powell

Post by Caboosegg »

Powell has done well, no one can question his commitment or his defense which is spot on, however he just doesn't have the aggression MM adds and were MM dragged us back into game when we were looking out i haven't seen Powell do this yet.

even though it doesnt seem to be having the desired effect i can see us going back to 2 rotating hookers, with MM being used as a impact player (much in the same way as when Clubb is subbed on) and Powell filling in the rest, i would however hope instead of this happening 20 min on the dot each half that Wane learns to use it when needed to impact the game.

in a interview on Wigan TV a while back, MM mentioned he wants to play a full 80 it is Wane who doesnt let him and they have had disagreements about it, so it isnt a case of can't.
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
LooseHead

Post by LooseHead »

MM hasn't been the aggressive 9 leading the defense for 2 seasons - mainly cos of his limited playing time and SWs insistence on dragging him off for 30-40 min per game. Difficult, especially in a second spell coming off the bench, to make an impact.

If the Tommy rumour is true, and it won't go away, then we'll have a pure 9 in MM, two 7/9s in Powell and Tommy plus a pure 7 in Smith (and arguably Williams who is a natural 7 not a 6). Unless SW has some tactical masterplan it could all be a bit of a mess.
Panchitta Marra

Post by Panchitta Marra »

LooseHead wrote:MM hasn't been the aggressive 9 leading the defense for 2 seasons - mainly cos of his limited playing time and SWs insistence on dragging him off for 30-40 min per game. Difficult, especially in a second spell coming off the bench, to make an impact.

If the Tommy rumour is true, and it won't go away, then we'll have a pure 9 in MM, two 7/9s in Powell and Tommy plus a pure 7 in Smith (and arguably Williams who is a natural 7 not a 6). Unless SW has some tactical masterplan it could all be a bit of a mess.
Mac was carrying an arm injury for quite a bit of last season LH, something he camouflaged a bit.
Never seen him shirk a conflict with anyone which I think is big in today's game. It was well commented about how much Ashton Simms bullied us in our last game against wire, we seem to get bullied less when Micky Mac is playing as I see it.
This is not detracting from how well Sam Powell has played, I think he really has improved and puts the work in, but he hasn't got the edge Micky has for me.
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

Panchitta Marra wrote:
LooseHead wrote:MM hasn't been the aggressive 9 leading the defense for 2 seasons - mainly cos of his limited playing time and SWs insistence on dragging him off for 30-40 min per game. Difficult, especially in a second spell coming off the bench, to make an impact.

Mac was carrying an arm injury for quite a bit of last season LH, something he camouflaged a bit.
Never seen him shirk a conflict with anyone which I think is big in today's game. It was well commented about how much Ashton Simms bullied us in our last game against wire, we seem to get bullied less when Micky Mac is playing as I see it.
This is not detracting from how well Sam Powell has played, I think he really has improved and puts the work in, but he hasn't got the edge Micky has for me.
i Totally agree with this, MM was having a Brilliant start to the season as well before his injury, Powell has stepped up well but he isn't a enforcer type player.
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

His passing is shit and needs some works, apart from that he is a much better player putting in 80 mins a game than he was coming of the bench, do we even need 40 minute a game MM back?
Wiganer Ted

Post by Wiganer Ted »

Sam Powell is one of the main reason we are where we are in the League.
We are no longer using 2 interchanges on 9s but Waney can use them to keep his forwards fresher and fitter during a game.
Having a hooker come on for the last 20 mins of a game does not work for us. He will have been off the field for over an hour after only playing 20 mins. It doesn't work.
The number of games we were in front then couldn't see the game out was too many, that doesn't happen now.
Like most on here I thought once MM was back Sam P would be dropped to the bench. For me now, MM has to prove he can do the 80 mins. Powell can but can MM?
If we go back to 2 hookers using 2 interchanges then we won't win anything again.
Sam Powell has improved our game by playing 80 every week and we can't afford to go backwards.
Waney will have to make the call once MM returns. This is one he really has to get right as it could well be the difference between winning silverware and not.
yokozuna

Post by yokozuna »

Would/could there be a new role for McIlorum?
Footballers spend 90 minutes pretending they're injured. Rugby League players spend 80 minutes pretending they're not.
jaws1

Post by jaws1 »

yokozuna wrote:Would/could there be a new role for McIlorum?
Loose forward
moto748

Post by moto748 »

jaws1 wrote:
yokozuna wrote:Would/could there be a new role for McIlorum?
Loose forward
I can't see a downside in that. And he's done it before (a bit), as I recall.