Re: Millward gives backing to ...

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
oldhooker

Re: Millward gives backing to ...

Post by oldhooker »

Im sure Terry Newton did not for one minute intend to cause such injury to Sean Long. Long surely by now accepts the spur of the moment tackles that occur and has made illegal challenges in his career.As for Daniel Anderson complaining,well he never moaned when his New Zealand side were running around trying to take heads off. Stop whining Saints and look in the mirror before throwing slurs at others.[/quote][/list]
lou-lou

Re: Millward gives backing...

Post by lou-lou »

oldhooker posted:
Im sure Terry Newton did not for one minute intend to cause such injury to Sean Long. Long surely by now accepts the spur of the moment tackles that occur and has made illegal challenges in his career.As for Daniel Anderson complaining,well he never moaned when his New Zealand side were running around trying to take heads off. Stop whining Saints and look in the mirror before throwing slurs at others.
[/list][/quote]
i couldnt agree more with you there. wouldnt be half as bad if the other saints player wasnt there, it just seems Terry gets it all coz hes the player saints fans love to hate
"Kids and grown ups love it so - the Happy world of Harribo"
Mr Earls 13-09-05
Doveoverdave

Post by Doveoverdave »

[quote]old hooker posted;
Terry Newton did not for one minute intend to cause such injury to Sean Long. [/quote]
Perhaps not the specific injury but his sole aim seemed to be to "take out" players.
Long surely by now accepts the spur of the moment tackles
Newton was responsible for having a player stretchered from the field minutes earlier - the Long incident was just a contination of his one man war and was not a spur of the moment action.
has made illegal challenges in his career.
As have every player in SL - this does not justfy TN actions.
WiganWarrior

Post by WiganWarrior »

oldhooker posted:
Im sure Terry Newton did not for one minute intend to cause such injury to Sean Long. Long surely by now accepts the spur of the moment tackles that occur and has made illegal challenges in his career.As for Daniel Anderson complaining,well he never moaned when his New Zealand side were running around trying to take heads off. Stop whining Saints and look in the mirror before throwing slurs at others.
[/list][/quote]

I dont think he accepts anything lol

http://www.skysports.com/skysports/arti ... 64,00.html
Wigan til i Die !!!!

"Its like a game of union the ball disappears for 3-4 tackles then appears to be kicked" BBC GMR
mrs_carney

Post by mrs_carney »

Seems he can talk alright, so newton didnt do a brilliant job :wink:
11/07/05 x - Always and forever - x <3
GeoffN

Post by GeoffN »

Doveoverdave posted:
has made illegal challenges in his career.
As have every player in SL - this does not justfy TN actions.
True: exactly the point some of us are making. However, no player in SL has got a 7 & 3 match ban for those similar incidents - many examples of which have already been posted.
I don't have a problem with the punishment, provided similarly severe punishments are forthcoming in the future. I'm not holding my breath, though.
robjoenz

Post by robjoenz »

oldhooker posted:
[/list][/quote]

OK then, forget the severity of the tackle for a moment. Why did Newton go for Long? The ball had been long since released and Newton's path was nowhere near the new ball carrier, he went for Long to hurt him, not to make a tackle. On that alone, he is guilty, use of the shoulder and raising of the elbow made a whole lot worse.

As Nitsua said, you're burying your head in the sand!
ian.birchall

Post by ian.birchall »

Robjoenz, its looking bad for Terry. I was talking to my neighbour yesterday afternoon and as it happens he is on the appeals panel for Newton on Tuesday.
I had my say about MrsB's concurrent or consecutive and he said that T'appeals committee will not change any original penalty verdict just because the player/coach says sorry didn't mean to do it, as the only way to get a penalty changed is to produce new evidence and he said that he had not yet seen any suggestion that new evidence would be shown.
Having watched the incident many times to find ameliorating factors in Terrys favour I think that this time he is going to get his just penalty.
Regarder une fille en bikini, c'est comme avoir un revolver chargé sur sa table:
Il n'y a rien de mal a ça mais il est difficile de penser à autre chose.

Now Europe is just for holidays.
Fraggle

Post by Fraggle »

robjoenz posted:
OK then, forget the severity of the tackle for a moment. Why did Newton go for Long? The ball had been long since released and Newton's path was nowhere near the new ball carrier, he went for Long to hurt him, not to make a tackle. On that alone, he is guilty, use of the shoulder and raising of the elbow made a whole lot worse.
It's been a few days since I saw the incident, but the ball can't have "long since been released" since Long and Faiwawatsot collided with each other after Newton hit Long so they must have been pretty close together and it all seemed pretty quick to me in real time (but then I'm getting older and the game seems to get quicker, plus a week's memory distorts things!). I'm not going to dispute the fact that Newton had no intention of making a legal tackle on Long, no matter what he claims, but I don't think it was quite as late as many are making out.
http://fraggle.fotopic.net

"You rescue me, you are my faith, my hope, my liberty.
And when there's darkness all around, you shine bright for me, you are a guiding light to me....
You are a Tower of Strength to me" - Wayne Hussey, The Mission.

Shepherd's Bush Empire - 27/Feb/08 - 1/Mar/08
[hr]
superleague

Post by superleague »

fraggle i agree about u saying it wasnt as late as people r making out i saw the re-play and it was about a second and no one can stop dead in a second