So proud......

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Re: So proud......

Post by josie andrews »

Earlier in the day I was speaking with one of our former attack coaches, he said 'that pitch should be banned'!

After the game, the players came to the fans again & they were all covered on their arms & legs in tiny black balls of whatever the 'grass' is made up on!!!

Disgusting IMO
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
yokozuna

Post by yokozuna »

josie andrews wrote:Earlier in the day I was speaking with one of our former attack coaches, he said 'that pitch should be banned'!

After the game, the players came to the fans again & they were all covered on their arms & legs in tiny black balls of whatever the 'grass' is made up on!!!

Disgusting IMO
But surely if it had been a grass pitch, they'd be covered in mud from head to toe?

Is there actually any evidence that there are more injuries on that pitch than any other? Why aren't all the Widnes players injured? Yes, someone did his ACL on the pitch on Thursday, but plenty have had the same injury elsewhere.

There's lots of talk about Sam avoiding playing on the pitch to avoid injury, but he's never played on it!

If someone can show actual evidence that it's dangerous then I'll go with that. But if there was real evidence, I'm sure they wouldn't be allowed to play on it.
Footballers spend 90 minutes pretending they're injured. Rugby League players spend 80 minutes pretending they're not.
Panchitta Marra

Post by Panchitta Marra »

yokozuna wrote:
josie andrews wrote:Earlier in the day I was speaking with one of our former attack coaches, he said 'that pitch should be banned'!

Disgusting IMO
But surely if it had been a grass pitch, they'd be covered in mud from head to toe?

Is there actually any evidence that there are more injuries on that pitch than any other? Why aren't all the Widnes players injured? Yes, someone did his ACL on the pitch on Thursday, but plenty have had the same injury elsewhere.

There's lots of talk about Sam avoiding playing on the pitch to avoid injury, but he's never played on it!

If someone can show actual evidence that it's dangerous then I'll go with that. But if there was real evidence, I'm sure they wouldn't be allowed to play on it.
My question is, would Gregson's injury have been as bad on a grass pitch. His foot stayed stuck in the same position when his leg/knee twisted. Would the same have happened on a grass surface, ie, would there have been more give in the surface if it was grass?
moto748

Post by moto748 »

ian.birchall wrote:But the overall quality of the game as it was in the TV games last Thursday and Friday was woeful.
I'm thinking that Bennett may be rethinking his decision to become GB coach. It could ruin his reputation.
Bennett SchnBennett.

He was in charge at the Knights and they were pretty awful. His glowing rep in Oz dates from a a long time back.
jobo

Post by jobo »

moto748 wrote:
ian.birchall wrote:But the overall quality of the game as it was in the TV games last Thursday and Friday was woeful.
I'm thinking that Bennett may be rethinking his decision to become GB coach. It could ruin his reputation.
Bennett SchnBennett.

He was in charge at the Knights and they were pretty awful. His glowing rep in Oz dates from a a long time back.
Bit harsh that.

He's been coaching nearly 30 years and has had only one or two that could be classed as bad years.

Think a lesser coach on leaving the Knights would have faded into obscurity but he's done a sterling job back with the Broncos and hopefully will do the same with England.

moto748

Post by moto748 »

Maybe a bit harsh. I just don't like Bennett much. I don't like his "we'll take the two" (which spreads like a virus to other teams, it seems).

But it seems to me he hasn't done much as a coach since he was at the Dragons. He's inherited an already good and successful side at the Broncos, so I don't think he can claim that much credit for anything they may do (although they seem to have faltered a bit in the last few weeks).
Nezza Faz

Post by Nezza Faz »

moto748 wrote:Maybe a bit harsh. I just don't like Bennett much. I don't like his "we'll take the two" (which spreads like a virus to other teams, it seems).

But it seems to me he hasn't done much as a coach since he was at the Dragons. He's inherited an already good and successful side at the Broncos, so I don't think he can claim that much credit for anything they may do (although they seem to have faltered a bit in the last few weeks).

Just to correct a few things, Bennett has actually shaped the current Broncos side. On his return from the Knights he controversially sold a host of top name stars and got an amount of flack from some fans there who couldn't understand his intent, despite their previous inconsistent form. But he's now formed them into a top NRL side again, who provide the bulk of the Qld State of Origin team.
On that point, this is the main reason they are currently "faltering" - every year they suffer a drop in form during the 6 week long Origin series when they are without most of their top players.
old hooker

Post by old hooker »

moto748 wrote:
Bennett SchnBennett.

Did ok last season, grand finalists, only lost with a drop goal.Super coach without doubt.