Jo Cox MP, RIP

Got anything else on your mind that isn't about the Warriors? If you do, this is the place to post.
yokozuna

Re: Jo Cox MP, RIP

Post by yokozuna »

That's not the point.

Why is mental health never mentioned when the murderer is brown, Muslim, etc.? I'm sure plenty of suicide bombers have mental health issues, but they aren't discussed or even mentioned?
Footballers spend 90 minutes pretending they're injured. Rugby League players spend 80 minutes pretending they're not.
platt-warrior

Post by platt-warrior »

There are times I really fear for our children and grandchildren and what they are
about to inherit from us.
i'm spartacus

Post by i'm spartacus »

yokozuna wrote:That's not the point.

Why is mental health never mentioned when the murderer is brown, Muslim, etc.? I'm sure plenty of suicide bombers have mental health issues, but they aren't discussed or even mentioned?
Who says it isn't mentioned?

There have been numerous newspaper reports and even TV programmes on how people with metal health issues have been manipulated by radical Islamist's into carrying out suicide attacks.

This is somewhat different insofar as Mair wasn't seemingly exploited by anyone. It is emerging that he sought treatment the night before the attack and was told to come back the following day. This guy had never held down a job and was obviously spending a lot of time fixating on his delusions.

Another educated guess, but i'm assuming you're another who's never come across seriously mentally disturbed individuals
yokozuna

Post by yokozuna »

i'm spartacus wrote:

There have been numerous newspaper reports and even TV programmes on how people with metal health issues have been manipulated by radical Islamist's into carrying out suicide attacks.

This is somewhat different insofar as Mair wasn't seemingly exploited by anyone. It is emerging that he sought treatment the night before the attack and was told to come back the following day. This guy had never held down a job and was obviously spending a lot of time fixating on his delusions.

Another educated guess, but i'm assuming you're another who's never come across seriously mentally disturbed individuals
Don't make assumptions when you don't know the first thing about me and what I do. It's actually irrelevant to the point that's being made anyway.

The mainstream media doesn't talk about mental health issues with non-white 'terrorists' (they often don't call them terrorists either) to anywhere near the same degree (if at all), and to say there's no distinction between the reporting is disingenuous to say the least.
Footballers spend 90 minutes pretending they're injured. Rugby League players spend 80 minutes pretending they're not.
i'm spartacus

Post by i'm spartacus »

yokozuna wrote:
i'm spartacus wrote:

Don't make assumptions when you don't know the first thing about me and what I do. It's actually irrelevant to the point that's being made anyway.

The mainstream media doesn't talk about mental health issues with non-white 'terrorists' (they often don't call them terrorists either) to anywhere near the same degree (if at all), and to say there's no distinction between the reporting is disingenuous to say the least.
The assumption was that you know nothing about the possible consequences of serious mental health issues, and the proof is evident in your comments. I wasnt trying to guess who you are or what you do because I really couldn't give a toss.

Terrorists generally belong to an organisation that carry out atrocities aimed at some particular end. Some terrorist groups exploit vulnerable people to carry out those atrocities and that has been well documented via the press, tv, and even in academic papers. The problem is you are labelling this a terrorist attack when it was a murder carried out by psychotic individual.

The offenders own brother has commented that he knows him as someone completely different than the man who killed Jo Cox. your 'point' was answered and you've really grasped the wrong end of the twig. Mair isn't a terrorist, he's a psychotic murderer. You can believe he is if you like - but he really isn't
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

i'm spartacus wrote:
The assumption was that you know nothing about the possible consequences of serious mental health issues, and the proof is evident in your comments.
And you do? You seem to be an expert on everything.
Terrorists generally belong to an organisation that carry out atrocities aimed at some particular end. Some terrorist groups exploit vulnerable people to carry out those atrocities and that has been well documented via the press, tv, and even in academic papers. The problem is you are labelling this a terrorist attack when it was a murder carried out by psychotic individual.
Wrong. Terrorism is the use of violence and threats to intimidate or coerce, especially for political purposes. A terrorist is someone who uses terrorism for political gain.

Given Mair's claims and who he targeted he fits the bill of a terrorist just as much as I would if if I went after BoJo because I think he is a danger to the country. You don't have to be a member of anything to be a terrorist.

The important question (more than whether he fits a definition of a terrorist or not) is what inspired him to attack Jo Cox in particular and if you think he did this just because he was mentally ill and so by definition his choice of victim was random you are barking up the wrong tree.

It is ridiculous to deny her stance on refugees and migrants along with the current political climate where they are blamed for virtually all the countries ill's is not what inspired him to attack her.

BriH

Post by BriH »

I watched the very moving recall of Parliament yesterday to pay tribute to Jo Cox. The common theme was we should all rediscover our humanity.
Then we get the obscenity of the UKIP poster and the rantings of Farage on the day we are paying tribute to a wonderful woman.
Sometimes I despair.
As an aside, there is a petition for the have-a-go Hero - a 77 year old ex-miner who ended up stabbed just because he was doing the right thing - to receive the George Cross.
If you Google you will find it.
SJ

Post by SJ »

DaveO wrote:
i'm spartacus wrote:
The assumption was that you know nothing about the possible consequences of serious mental health issues, and the proof is evident in your comments.
Wrong. Terrorism is the use of violence and threats to intimidate or coerce, especially for political purposes. A terrorist is someone who uses terrorism for political gain.

Given Mair's claims and who he targeted he fits the bill of a terrorist just as much as I would if if I went after BoJo because I think he is a danger to the country. You don't have to be a member of anything to be a terrorist.

The important question (more than whether he fits a definition of a terrorist or not) is what inspired him to attack Jo Cox in particular and if you think he did this just because he was mentally ill and so by definition his choice of victim was random you are barking up the wrong tree.

It is ridiculous to deny her stance on refugees and migrants along with the current political climate where they are blamed for virtually all the countries ill's is not what inspired him to attack her.

Dave you come across to me has bigoted in relation to appraisal of this whole sad situation You don't need to insult my or Sparticus's intelligence by telling us what a terrorist is but it seems you dismiss out of hand IS's contention that the murderer is mentally unstable which he may be. IS isn't a know it all. From reading his post he comes across to me as an intelligent informed person. He prefaced his comments re terrorists in "general " terms and I believe a consensus of that appraisal would concede the point. The whole tenor of your criticism of his post is invective. You may be correct in him being a terrorist but I doubt it and further it was the Court who had no hesitation in referring him for Mental Health reasons. I will say nothing more on this very sad topic
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

SJ wrote:
DaveO wrote:
i'm spartacus wrote:

Dave you come across to me has bigoted in relation to appraisal of this whole sad situation You don't need to insult my or Sparticus's intelligence by telling us what a terrorist is but it seems you dismiss out of hand IS's contention that the murderer is mentally unstable which he may be.
Since I have said more than one we would all consider anyone who does such a thing mentally unstable you can't say that. The issue I have is the rush to suggest or imply the only reason this occurred was because he was mentally ill.

I also take issue with the line of argument that goes along the lines of you aren't an expert mental illness so can't have an opinion as to the motives etc. Not being an expert on anything is a straw man argument anyone could use against anyones opinions on any subject.

This was a political murder. Had it been a Muslim doing this to Gove not only would it have been considered political it would have been considered terrorism just as the murder of Lee Rigby was.

But because he was alone while male all of a sudden it must be because he was mentally ill. Yeah right.
IS isn't a know it all. From reading his post he comes across to me as an intelligent informed person. He prefaced his comments re terrorists in "general " terms and I believe a consensus of that appraisal would concede the point. The whole tenor of your criticism of his post is invective. You may be correct in him being a terrorist but I doubt it and further it was the Court who had no hesitation in referring him for Mental Health reasons. I will say nothing more on this very sad topic
As I said in my previous post the issue of him being a terrorist isn't the main one, though I believe he qualifies as much as any lone attacker who latches onto a political issue (as explained above).

Her husband has stated he considers this a political murder and I believe he is right. It was not a random attack and she was targeted for her stance on the issues we all know she was passionate about.

Did the current xenophobia deliberately stoaked up by Leave push him or embolden him to do this? In my view the toxic climate did just that and the rush to put it all down to mental illness is rather obscene.

Owd Codger

Post by Owd Codger »

DaveO wrote:
SJ wrote:
DaveO wrote: And you do? You seem to be an expert on everything.

Dave you come across to me has bigoted in relation to appraisal of this whole sad situation You don't need to insult my or Sparticus's intelligence by telling us what a terrorist is but it seems you dismiss out of hand IS's contention that the murderer is mentally unstable which he may be.
Since I have said more than one we would all consider anyone who does such a thing mentally unstable you can't say that. The issue I have is the rush to suggest or imply the only reason this occurred was because he was mentally ill.

I also take issue with the line of argument that goes along the lines of you aren't an expert mental illness so can't have an opinion as to the motives etc. Not being an expert on anything is a straw man argument anyone could use against anyones opinions on any subject.

This was a political murder. Had it been a Muslim doing this to Gove not only would it have been considered political it would have been considered terrorism just as the murder of Lee Rigby was.

But because he was alone while male all of a sudden it must be because he was mentally ill. Yeah right.
IS isn't a know it all. From reading his post he comes across to me as an intelligent informed person. He prefaced his comments re terrorists in "general " terms and I believe a consensus of that appraisal would concede the point. The whole tenor of your criticism of his post is invective. You may be correct in him being a terrorist but I doubt it and further it was the Court who had no hesitation in referring him for Mental Health reasons. I will say nothing more on this very sad topic
As I said in my previous post the issue of him being a terrorist isn't the main one, though I believe he qualifies as much as any lone attacker who latches onto a political issue (as explained above).

Her husband has stated he considers this a political murder and I believe he is right. It was not a random attack and she was targeted for her stance on the issues we all know she was passionate about.

Did the current xenophobia deliberately stoaked up by Leave push him or embolden him to do this? In my view the toxic climate did just that and the rush to put it all down to mental illness is rather obscene.

The toxic climate or xenophobia as you call it has always been there under the surface as our country is a right wing country, but due to the laws of the country where you cannot express a opinion on immigration without fear of arrest or being accused of racism, the referendum is the only way for many people to express their concerns about the level of immigration and the failure of the politicians of all three major parties to take measures to control it.

For the Husband of Jo Cox to suggest that it was a political murder by the extreme right is hardly surprising seeing that he has left wing political connections.

Her murder was committed by a person living on his own, suffering from a mental disorder like depression which has built up to a situation where in his mental state, it resulted in him carrying out his terrible attack.

The country is divided as a result and lets be honest, there would be no referendum if the Governments of the last few years had taken a more firmer line on on immigration which is the reason why it reached the stage of the present Government having to accept having one.

For many people, the referendum is the only they can express their discontentment on immigration and no matter the result, the Government and opposition should take heed of the discontentment which has split the country.