Brexit UK vote to leave Europe in historic referendum

Got anything else on your mind that isn't about the Warriors? If you do, this is the place to post.
JUKESAYS

Re: Brexit UK vote to leave Europe in historic referendum

Post by JUKESAYS »

fozzieskem wrote:
i'm spartacus wrote:
fozzieskem wrote: Forgetting the referendum and its result,does anyone think the UK parliament will vote against leaving the EU?

As far as im aware it wasnt a legally binding vote the other day was it?
The UK Parliament doesn't get to vote on leaving the EU. We had the vote, the single issue referendum returned in favour of leaving.

The Prime Minister makes the decision as he or she has the prerogative
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/po ... 5181.html

Don't know if you've seen this but most certainly MPS have to vote it through
Got told that earlier this week and to be honest didn't know.
I knew the referendum wasn't legally binding but didn't know that a bill would still need to be passed etc.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

i'm spartacus wrote:
We don't have to accept anything, but as a matter of interest, why don't you or Dave give us all an explanation of what is wrong with the Norway system. I'll look forward to reading that
If you look back on the posts in this debate you will find I already told you.

Try searching for "Fax democracy".

To save you the trouble of looking Norway accepts EU laws, pays into the EU, accepts free movement of Labour and even has open borders with the rest of the EU (no passport control unlike us).

Yet they have no say in the laws, rules and regulations that affect their relationship with the EU and the single market. No veto, no input, nothing.

Hence the term coined by one of their own Prime Ministers, "fax democracy". EU sends them a fax, they implement the laws.

So now I'd like to know why as a Leaver you want to be in a position where we have to accept EU laws, pay into the EU and accepts free movement of Labour. And have no say in those laws.

Seems a pretty stupid position to put yourself in to me!
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

SJ wrote:Don't be silly Mike. You insisting we are all Racist doesn't make it the case. Go on catch your d inflatable to France. ............not gone yet. Oh and by the way BAN yourself from the forum for insulting those who voted to leave the EU

I for one haven't insulted you and the likes of Dave O for voting Remain. That's your right so grow up and cut out the insults please.
I'm already on a final warning so I suppose I should ban myself. :lol:

Even if you are not racist, you voted for a campaign that was supported by racists, and that supports and validates their vile views. You chose to blame your problems on "others" rather than face to up solving them yourselves. You supported a step towards conflict and war rather than away from it. I'm disgusted by 52% of my former fellow citizens. Disgusted.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
🏆🏆🏆🏆
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

The Referendum was just to get the view of the British public, the MPS have to vote to enact article 50, however after the referendum it would be political suicide for them to vote against the british public wishes,

that being said i really hope it happens, Boris johnsons view of a none EU Britan has already been rubbished by the EU nations saying we want the trade we have to accept the free movement (the immigration part that won leave so many votes)

the Leave Campaign has admitted they don't really have a plan as well as back out on most of the points they used to persuade the british public (you'll be happy to know leaving the EU wont actually effect the immigration your concerned about as thats from none EU countries)

on the plus side, despite how much i despise Cameron he has had the last laugh, by leaving it to his replacement to enact article 50 they are making them commit political suicide.

front runner is Boris Johnson
if he gets in he has two choices,

Enact Article 50 (screw over the UK economy short term (at the very least) and the EU set a example by screwing us so that other countries don't do the same) most likely ending his career

Don't Enact Article 50 as go against the referendum result
most likely ending his career.

i do wonder if the british public realised how much funding we actually get from the EU before voting.

most of the funding for research into disease and rare conditions come from the EU not the Gov.

Alot of research funding at universities come from the EU not the GOV

The EU is why you have the current workers rights including breaks (our gov wanted to remove these a few years ago)

alot of the funding for the agricultural sector is EU funding.

look how much EU funding manchester used:
http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/ ... r-11020085

or after the bombing to help rebuild:

the gov gave - Government gave £300,000
the EU - £21.5 million

we already refused the Euro meaning for years we have enjoyed Sterling to Euro/Dollar exchange rates (which are dropping already before we have even left.

you only have to go on google to see how much better off we actually will be in the EU,

oh BTW

We will never hit the immigration targets you were promised, the GOV and Leave already have admitted this.

These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
Wintergreen

Post by Wintergreen »

Caboosegg wrote:
The Referendum was just to get the view of the British public, the MPS have to vote to enact article 50, however after the referendum it would be political suicide for them to vote against the british public wishes,

that being said i really hope it happens, Boris johnsons view of a none EU Britan has already been rubbished by the EU nations saying we want the trade we have to accept the free movement (the immigration part that won leave so many votes)

the Leave Campaign has admitted they don't really have a plan as well as back out on most of the points they used to persuade the british public (you'll be happy to know leaving the EU wont actually effect the immigration your concerned about as thats from none EU countries)

on the plus side, despite how much i despise Cameron he has had the last laugh, by leaving it to his replacement to enact article 50 they are making them commit political suicide.

front runner is Boris Johnson
if he gets in he has two choices,

Enact Article 50 (screw over the UK economy short term (at the very least) and the EU set a example by screwing us so that other countries don't do the same) most likely ending his career

Don't Enact Article 50 as go against the referendum result
most likely ending his career.

i do wonder if the british public realised how much funding we actually get from the EU before voting.

most of the funding for research into disease and rare conditions come from the EU not the Gov.

Alot of research funding at universities come from the EU not the GOV

The EU is why you have the current workers rights including breaks (our gov wanted to remove these a few years ago)

alot of the funding for the agricultural sector is EU funding.

look how much EU funding manchester used:
http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/ ... r-11020085

or after the bombing to help rebuild:

the gov gave - Government gave £300,000
the EU - £21.5 million

we already refused the Euro meaning for years we have enjoyed Sterling to Euro/Dollar exchange rates (which are dropping already before we have even left.

you only have to go on google to see how much better off we actually will be in the EU,

oh BTW

We will never hit the immigration targets you were promised, the GOV and Leave already have admitted this.

Some of what you say is right, some not.

In terms of EU funding, the UK pays in a NET of around £8bn. This is after accounting for all the funding coming back.

You are right on Immigration though.
nellywelly

Post by nellywelly »

Peter252 wrote:Nothing wrong at all with the Norway agreement as long as you don't want to take part in the actual decsion making.
They have full access to the free market, give full access to free movement of people, including Shengen arrangements, pay into the central fund and have enacted over 75% of the EU legislation.

Most people who voted to leave don't want free movement of people and this will be the biggest sticking point of any agreement with the EU. Everybody will feel let down and realise we have made a massive mistake to trust people like Johnson.The north will be the loser again,when will we wake up and realise to trust aright wing government is pure folly
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

JUKESAYS wrote:
fozzieskem wrote:
i'm spartacus wrote: The UK Parliament doesn't get to vote on leaving the EU. We had the vote, the single issue referendum returned in favour of leaving.

The Prime Minister makes the decision as he or she has the prerogative

Got told that earlier this week and to be honest didn't know.
I knew the referendum wasn't legally binding but didn't know that a bill would still need to be passed etc.
Oh all laws have to be passed even this one,now it could be just rubberstamped of course after all every MP are in total agreement along with 70 million people who by all accounts voted the other day (you have to love politicians).

This is a long way from being sorted and while i think Hunt is a bit of a pillock he's correct that another referendum will have to be put before the british public on the exit deal offered,you simply can't rely on the government of the day to say this is the best deal and not offer any alternatives on the proposed deal.

This is a long way from being finished of that im sure.
i'm spartacus

Post by i'm spartacus »

fozzieskem wrote:

I've read the article by the three academics on which the article is based, and it is based on a flawed analyses.

The argument by the academics is that the UK must repeal the European Communities Act 1972 before giving notice under Article 50 because this is the Act that took us into the EU.To repeal that Act it would have to pass through Parliament which would require the vote of MP's. So if the point that Act has to be repealed is correct, then the newspaper article is absolutely correct.

What wasn't considered is that there is no requirement or need to repeal the European Communities Act at all.

The Act itself, in particular, section 2 says

All such rights, powers, liabilities, obligations and restrictions from time to time created or arising by or under the Treaties, and all such remedies and procedures from time to time provided for by or under the Treaties, as in accordance with the Treaties are without further enactment to be given legal effect or used in the United Kingdom shall be recognised and available in law, and be enforced, allowed and followed accordingly; and the expression “enforceable EU right” and similar expressions shall be read as referring to one to which this subsection applies

This effectively means that any EU treaty is automatically enforceable law in the UK.

We are still members of the EU. Section 2 means that Article 50 as part of an EU Treaty is directly effective as law in the UK as long as the European Communities Act is in force. So a Prime Minister can give notice for the UK under Article 50 in accordance with our own constitutional requirements through using general prerogative power.

At the end of the 2 year period following the Article 50 notice, we will be out of the EU automatically and any EU treaties will no longer apply automatically. The European Communities Act will then be a redundant piece of legislation which can be repealed because there is nothing for it to give effect to
Owd Codger

Post by Owd Codger »

To imply that people who voted to leave the EU is a Racist is not only wrong, but only illustrates the nastiness that some people will go to when they have not got their own way in a democratic vote.

Wrong because those who did vote on the issue of immigration did so because of their concerns about the way our small country is getting over populated, the lack of Government to control it and the effect it will have on the country in the future with less jobs and more living on benefits, especially as people live longer.

The population is now 65 million compared with only 61 million of a short while ago and is expected to rise to 70 million within the next ten years in spite of the fact that there is a shortage of affordable housing, not enough Doctors and Dentists, the NHS unable to cope and £136 in debt, not enough schools and higher class sizes, more gridlock on the roads etc, etc.

Even many people of first generation immigrant origin voted to leave because of their concerns about the level of immigration affecting their established businesses as many of the immigrants coming in are also small business people and not all poor people as some seemed to think and led to believe they are.

And some should also face up to the fact that the leave vote and majority would have been even higher if the people of Scotland had not been misled by the SNP into the false belief that if Scotland voted to stay in, they would stand a better chance of getting Independence within the EU when in fact that will only happen by a Act of Parliament at Westminster and you can bet that the establishment in London and most of the Clan leaders in Scotland who are loyal to the Crown will do anything in their power to prevent the break up of the United Kingdom, especially with the amount of Oil and Gas revenue of Scotland contributing to our economy.

Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-a6HNXtdvVQ

NB: not suitable for children contains swearing
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure