Ryan Sutton and Dom Crosby?

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
southportcdm

Ryan Sutton and Dom Crosby?

Post by southportcdm »

I've been very impressed with his performances in the backrow in the last couple of games. More games in the backrow will help his development and reduce the wear and tear that he'd experience as a young prop. His form means that we don't have to play Joel unless he's fit enough. A good move all round. I was worried that we may have to overplay Ryan this year but we should be able to give him a break when we get Faz and Bateman back.

On another point, does anybody know if/when Dom Crosby will be back? He was just coming into good form too.
Owd Codger

Re: Ryan Sutton and Dom Crosby?

Post by Owd Codger »

southportcdm wrote:I've been very impressed with his performances in the backrow in the last couple of games. More games in the backrow will help his development and reduce the wear and tear that he'd experience as a young prop. His form means that we don't have to play Joel unless he's fit enough. A good move all round. I was worried that we may have to overplay Ryan this year but we should be able to give him a break when we get Faz and Bateman back.

On another point, does anybody know if/when Dom Crosby will be back? He was just coming into good form too.
Crosby is a good and big young Open Side Prop, but is he showing signs of a player who is injury prone and a reason why we have now signed a Prop Forward, especially a more rugged one.
Kiwiseddon

Post by Kiwiseddon »

The Cats' game was Sutton's best for Wigan IMO. When he started out I was impressed with his commitment taking the ball into contact and his tackling. The move to second row showed that he more facets to his game. The ball to Manfredi for our first try was Lockersesque. He also showed some good running lines and the ability to play what was in front of him.

All around a brilliant game for the lad.
"K"

"But look at, look at Lydon go here...Remniscent of those two great tries when he won the Lance Todd... He's got Hanley inside him. He's going all the way..........."
Owd Codger

Post by Owd Codger »

Kiwiseddon wrote:The Cats' game was Sutton's best for Wigan IMO. When he started out I was impressed with his commitment taking the ball into contact and his tackling. The move to second row showed that he more facets to his game. The ball to Manfredi for our first try was Lockersesque. He also showed some good running lines and the ability to play what was in front of him.

All around a brilliant game for the lad.
From the same mould as the great Brian McTigue perhaps?

He too could play both Prop and Second Row when required to do so!

thegimble

Post by thegimble »

Is Sutton going to play 2nd row and become an impact player next season given the interchange changes next season.

Did not see the game yesterday was working how good was he.
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

Sutton anyday of the week, a real prop who can and will blast through lines of defence, long may it continue
Southern Softy

Post by Southern Softy »

In the longer-term - Sutton to Loose Forward perhaps? He's got good passing skills (needs to work on ball retention when going forward) but has the build and skill to eventually replace SOL.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Sutton is no loose forward. What set him apart is his ability to position himself and time his run as he hits a gap.
Panchitta Marra

Post by Panchitta Marra »

Whelley Warrior wrote:
southportcdm wrote:I've been very impressed with his performances in the backrow in the last couple of games. More games in the backrow will help his development and reduce the wear and tear that he'd experience as a young prop. His form means that we don't have to play Joel unless he's fit enough. A good move all round. I was worried that we may have to overplay Ryan this year but we should be able to give him a break when we get Faz and Bateman back.

Crosby is a good and big young Open Side Prop, but is he showing signs of a player who is injury prone and a reason why we have now signed a Prop Forward, especially a more rugged one.
The elbow injury that Crosby recently picked up would have put any player out for a period of time Whelley, I don't see that type of injury stemming from a player being weak or injury prone.
I don't know and that's why I'm asking, how many injuries has Dom Crosby suffered keeping him out for longer periods of time?
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Worldof difference at Wigan CP. Hence why Lockers does so much play making. Sutty has no playmaking in him but he is a fantastic runner.