Matty outkicked Pat

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
cpwigan

Matty outkicked Pat

Post by cpwigan »

Never expected it but Matty was top drawqer place kicking v Cats and on the day better than Pat.
Kiwiseddon

Re: Matty outkicked Pat

Post by Kiwiseddon »

His all round kicking game has improved hugely in the last month or so. Far more low raking kicks finding the ground (I refuse to say 'terra firma'!)
And he hasn't missed many conversions.
"K"

"But look at, look at Lydon go here...Remniscent of those two great tries when he won the Lance Todd... He's got Hanley inside him. He's going all the way..........."
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

Is old father time begining to catch up with Pat or just Catalans style of play?

He doesnt look the same player at times.
SJ

Post by SJ »

cpwigan wrote:Never expected it but Matty was top drawqer place kicking v Cats and on the day better than Pat.

Really pleased for him. Kicking game generally is good. Hope he stays with us.
OJ

Post by OJ »

I hope he stays too. Maybe he's been a bit more relaxed since Sam came back and others have also stepped up and taken the pressure off him. Annoys me when he doesn't get the recognition he deserves, the muppets on Sky where going through who they would have given man of the match award to and think they mentioned damn near everyone but Matty. We are lucky he's not got injured because then some fans might have had a wake up call with how much we rely on him sometimes
Never argue with an idiot. He will bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Wiganer Ted

Post by Wiganer Ted »

Matty Smith's long kicking game killed Catalans.
They were out on their feet after 25 mins and when we spread the ball they hadn't the energy to cover our plays.

Not noticed it as much as I did Saturday but our offloads led to two tries, Sutton and Gildart's. With Smith's excellent field kicking together with his brilliant goal kicking Catalans' heads went down very early.

George Williams piled on the pressure too with very good short kicks to their in goal.
Agree Matty Smith should have been there or thereabouts for MOM.
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

cherry.pie wrote:
fozzieskem wrote:Is old father time begining to catch up with Pat or just Catalans style of play?

He doesnt look the same player at times.
By the looks of things he's pushed himself for one season too many. He's fallen well below the standard of his time at Wigan. His goalkicking has also become very poor. It's a shame really, as you generally want top players to go out in a blaze of glory rather than fade away quietly.
There is an art to knowing when it's time of that I'm sure seeing your hero not having anything left in the tank,as a kid was heartbreaking to me.