Re: Millward gives backing to ...

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Alex the Warrior

Re: Millward gives backing...

Post by Alex the Warrior »

I've no great problem with Newton's ban if it becomes part of a tougher stance from the RL. It's an area of the game that has got worse over 20 years. When I started watching the game, 8 game bans were common place for serious foul play, yet a match or two is standard now.

I've not seen the incidents repeated since the match, but the tackle on Gilmour appeared to be one that you see half a dozen times every week. Can't defend the one on Long, though asking how anyone is meant to resist making such a tackle would be the only possible defence. Incidently, I wonder how Brett Dallas feels after all the times he's been cracked round the head by players who escaped punishment.

Maybe referees have a responsibility to referee games properly. But for the succession of bad decisions relating to tries for St Helens, I'm sure Newton would've been a lot calmer at that stage of the game.

Terry has a reputation, not helped by incidents like last year's home game with the Stains. They came out swinging from the start and connected with many head shots. Terry decides to belt one back and their man is stretcherd off whilst all of ours luckily came through unscathed.
From Mission Impossible (1991) to The Great Escape (2006)
cpwigan

Re: Millward gives backing...

Post by cpwigan »

A touch of irony re Sean Long. Karl Long was taken to court whilst playing RU (for Manchester RU Club I think) after breaking the jaw of an opponent. It was decided there was insufficient evidence as I recall.

I think this incident has just got blown out of all proportion. Nobody can say what Terry Newtons true intent was. For what it's worth I think he's guilty of 2 reckless challenges.