town turning blue

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Nine

Re: town turning blue

Post by Nine »

My take on it is exactly the same as Jinkin' Jimmy's - except I didn't/don't go to Latics simply because I don't enjoy watching soccer so choose not to spend my limited spare time and money on it any more than on Wigan Hockey Club, Wigan Harriers, Orrell RU or Wigan Wasps. Doesn't mean I wish the club any ill, though.

Is it my bad luck or is it only in the last 10 years or less that the vile hostility of a section of Latics fans has come to the fore and been experienced by rugby fans like myself who wish only to enjoy our own sport and mind our own business? Did they just mutter into their pints about us before so we never noticed? Is it because society in general has developed a more in-your-face, "snarling dog" attitude?

One thing's for sure - I never even thought about Latics before whereas now I actively loathe them. Well - a section of the fans, I suppose, rather than the club or team itself.
Squad number 18!
DaiJones

Post by DaiJones »

Is it me or is this tiresome "rivalry" with Latics the most depressing thing about our beloved home town? I watch both and always have and whilst I respect those who don't like rugby league or football, surely the fact that we have a successful team in both sports is a matter of pride? Maybe I've gone soft living down in London....I'm boring myself even talking about this again. Sorry.
waterside glens

Post by waterside glens »

i wish the latics well but one thing i don,t like when i,m walking down to the jjb from the town center is some gab shouting at me out of their car about the warriors being cr*p and finnishing with up the latics. i find it strange that no one does this as they walk past :roll:
pedro

Post by pedro »

waterside glens posted:
i wish the latics well but one thing i don,t like when i,m walking down to the jjb from the town center is some gab shouting at me out of their car about the warriors being cr*p and finnishing with up the latics. i find it strange that no one does this as they walk past :roll:
I remember a post on here about this before. It said something about it coming from when we were succesful in the 80/90's the Latics turned to us for help of some kind and this was rejected. This is why they dont like us.

I like the football being in the prem but my god it bores the life out of me after the first 10 mins. Is it me or does football have the best build up in the world but disapoints but RL is the total opposite?

Maybe im just biased :)
superleague

Post by superleague »

i dont have anything against latics the team just the fans especially the foul mouth ones who hate the warriors as i know lots of latics fans and everyone is the same all they do is slag off the rugby it must be in their blood to hate the rugby because its the young and older and because of the fans i'm losing all respect for the latics as a whole and i hope they are relegated because of the abuse i've had thrown at me over the last few years.
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

Nine posted:
Did they just mutter into their pints about us before so we never noticed?
Yes, and that was one of the reasons they didn't like the rugby! - because we didn't even acknowledge that they disliked us.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
🏆🏆🏆🏆
mike binder

Post by mike binder »

Champions posted:
I think the fans have been awesome this year, and it shows how much the players appreciate it, by the fact that Carney didn't want to leave the pitch on sunday. Whoever had the drum had Huddersfield deserves a pat on the back.....none stop noise! Wish it was more like that at JJB.
well done craig and danny binder :lol:
mikebinderflooring@yahoo.co.uk for all your carpets and vinyls suppiled and fitted

TROPHIES COMING HOME
IT COMING HOME
ITS COMING HOME
ITS COMING
TROPHIES COMING HOME
mike binder

Post by mike binder »

jinkin jimmy posted:
DaveO posted:
standishcat posted:
Ok no one throw anything at me lol but in all fairness, Carling Cup games in the early stages rarely get big attendances. Personally, coming from a 50%-rugby-50%-football fan, I don't think it's a glory fan thing. These games get played on funny nights when a lot of people can't come. Just my opinion though. Don't hurt me please
My thinking is that the 3000 and odd fans shows what the Latics core support really is.

If I was an avid football fan and my team had reached the premiership for the first time in its history I would mortgage the wife to get to every game in all competitions.

So I am really surprised the latics fans are already being so selective of games.

As to it being the Carling Cup I heard Stuart Pearce of Man City on the radio saying he thinks its barmy for clubs to treat the competition lightly by fielding weak teams etc so there is one respected manager who thinks there ought to be more interest in these games.

Dave
I haven't verified this but I suspect the Latics fans will be paying quite a bit more for their football - especially the many away local derbies - than last yr, hence the garbage crowd.

I know I have posted here and am therefore as much of a contributor as anyone but I think the initial post - and the title - could be viewed as inflammatory by some Latics fans so don't be surprised if a few come on here having a pop at us, Mike Binder in particular.
thanks but guess who ill be watching on saturday now my rugby season is over ,oh no its everton v latics maybe the crowds will go up a little more now as there are plenty of people cant afoord to follow both teams ,so u stick to your prefered sport mine being rugby ,so come on up the wigan wat ever we play :wink:
mikebinderflooring@yahoo.co.uk for all your carpets and vinyls suppiled and fitted

TROPHIES COMING HOME
IT COMING HOME
ITS COMING HOME
ITS COMING
TROPHIES COMING HOME
robjoenz

Post by robjoenz »

mike binder posted:
thanks but guess who ill be watching on saturday now my rugby season is over ,oh no its everton v latics maybe the crowds will go up a little more now as there are plenty of people cant afoord to follow both teams ,so u stick to your prefered sport mine being rugby ,so come on up the wigan wat ever we play :wink:
There's RL to watch for many weeks to come! Aren't both acedemy sides playing this weekend? Plus there's local amateur sides and the NL1 grand-final eliminator between Haven and Cas (that's where I'll be).

Then of course there's the rest of the play-offs, many amateur games and the Tri-Nations!
mike binder

Post by mike binder »

yes the junior rugby kicks off this weekend and ill be spending most of the winter following st judes u 12s, but ive got free tickets to go watching everton vs the latics with corprate facilaties (free bar and meal) so how can i turn that down :blush:

TROPHIES COMING HOME
IT COMING HOME
ITS COMING HOME
ITS COMING
TROPHIES COMING HOME