Views of Ian Millward (Season End)

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Nine

Re: Views of Ian Millward ...

Post by Nine »

He's the best coach in Super League, as he has shown in the remarkable turnaround he has achieved just this year, and in my opinion one of the top in the world. I sincerely hope we hang on to him for the duration ofhis current contract.

It was clear from his first appearance at the Riversiders supporters club that "Basil" is a charismatic personality, and I commented at the time to friends that if he could fire the players with as much enthusiasm and self-belief as he did the fans that night (at a very low point in the season for us), we'd soon see the difference. And I was right.
Squad number 18!
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

GeoffN posted:
Doc Warrior posted:
Chairman Mo's interview on BBC website was interesting he says basically that the loss of Faz was a major contribution to Wigans very poor season along with massive injury list.

Fair point i thought...
He also cites the loss of experienced players like Craig Smith, Cassidy, O'Connor, Connolly....

HELLO?

Who let them go, Maurice? All five would have walked into our first team this season...even Gazza at his age!
Got to agree with that. You would think Mourice had nothing to do with the Farrell exit. He could not have left if ML had held him to his contract.

We also missed Craig Smith out of that list a great deal. Another Maurice master stroke!

Dave
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Doc Warrior posted:
Chairman Mo's interview on BBC website was interesting he says basically that the loss of Faz was a major contribution to Wigans very poor season along with massive injury list.

Fair point i thought but cant help thinking about a lot of what people have said on this site about to much revolving around one player and should he get injuries or leave then we are rudderless an this is what has happened and was planted firmly at the feet of the coaching staff prior to IM arriving.
Surely the fact we were rudderless when Farrell left points to the fact every good team beeds a good captain who has a strong influence on the team?

Personally from a playing point of view I think Farrell proved in 2004 he would do what was required by playing prop such that not all the plays went through him. So the common charge laid against him of stifling play was pretty much blown apart in that season IMO.

What we have missed this season is not just his undoubted skill as a player but his leadership.

Not one of the remaining senior players stepped forward with enough authority to be a convincing captain. There was an opportunity there for whoever was picked to take the mantle but not one of them did IMO.

Choice of captain next year will be interesting and also crucal so lets see what Millward does with that little problem.

Dave
MrsLam

Post by MrsLam »

He's getting towards likeable. Was not sure at all when he first came to Wigan, he didn't seem to comfortable either then again it must have been just as hard for him to think "I'm a Wiganer" as it was for most of us to actually cheer him.
Last few weeks he's started referring to Wigan as "We" rather than just Wigan.

I'm definitely not judging him yet though, we'll never actually know what would have happened had Betts stayed in charge but I'm guessing we would have still stayed up but not been anywhere near enough points to finish in the top 6 as we nearly did. He's raised their confidence a lot and it's showing in how they play, as I've said before though I just hope he can get over this bad luck when playing the biggest rivals thing! We need to beat the Scousers
:thum: Ancient and Loyal :thum:

2005 - Play for pride
2006 - Play!
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Craig Smith has really come back to haunt us. A terrible decision by Mo :( I think IM must be looking at being around for a few years the way he's clearing players out to make way for the youngsters from the Academy Teams and so forth.

Must admit IM has impressed me at Academy Matches when little kids have approached him etc. He's been friendly and made the extra effort with them.
jinkin jimmy

Post by jinkin jimmy »

Im not bothered about what Saints have let go lets look at what Wigan have gained
Isn't this the same thing? :)