This is the One

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

This is the One

Post by josie andrews »

Shaun Wane says his side are ready for the biggest game of the season on the eve of the DW Derby.

A 2016 Super League record crowd is already confirmed for the biggest Derby in Rugby League as Wigan host St Helens at the DW Stadium.

The Warriors Head Coach said: “There’s a lot of feeling, a lot of respect and both sets of fans are fantastic.

“It’ll be the biggest attendance in Super League this year so it’s going to be a great atmosphere and I urge everyone to get down and make sure there’s not one seat spare.

“This is the one. There’s more passion and desire in this game than any other and I think a lot of that is down to the respect between the fans, the players and staff.

“It’s our most important game of the season, there’s no doubt about that.”

Wigan head into the game on the back of their first defeat in nine last week at Leeds with Saints making the trip over Billinge Hill looking to add to a run of four consecutive wins.

“We went to Langtree Park on Good Friday and won there but St Helens are playing with a lot more confidence now,” Wane said.

“A bit like Leeds, I knew they’d come good. They’ve just got too many good players. You look at the Widnes game and the game last week (against Huddersfield) and they were outstanding. To travel to Huddersfield and win like that was a great win.”

Newest signing Frank-Paul Nuuausala will make his home debut and Wane says the team were quick to impress on him how important this game is.

“Within a day of Frank-Paul Nuuausala being here it was explained to him the need to win this game. He was told that this is the one, Wigan and Saints, home and away and it means everything to the people of Wigan.

“Frank will be on the bench. He’s shown some good improvements this week and he will be a great asset for us.”

Wigan Warriors host St Helens in the Derby at the DW Stadium tomorrow evening, Friday 22nd July - 8pm. Tickets for this huge game start from £22 for adults and £15 for concessions with tickets available from the DW Stadium Ticket Office, the Ticket Hotline and online using the print@home option HERE.

http://www.wiganwarriors.com/news/2016- ... Rl1X736.99
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
josie andrews

Re: This is the One

Post by josie andrews »

Like My Last

Dan Sarginson treating Wigan Saints Derby like his last

Wigan centre set to line-up against Saints tomorrow night

Wigan Warriors host St Helens at the DW Stadium with bumper crowd expected

Dan Sarginson says he is treating this week’s Derby against St Helens like it is his last.

The Warriors centre is due to leave at the end of the season with a move to NRL side Gold Coast Titans already agreed for next season.

Wigan will meet St Helens at least one more time this year in the Super 8s and depending on this weekend’s results it could be the final Derby at the DW in 2016.

“We’re not sure where we’ll end up (in the league table) at the moment so I’m just going to enjoy this game and soak it up.

“I remember when I signed for Wigan this was the first game I looked out for on the fixture list and that hasn’t changed in my three years here.

“It’s always special when we go up against St Helens and I’m sure this week will be no different. The rivalry really brings that extra something out of both sides.”

Wigan go into the game joint top separated from Hull FC on just points difference.

Sarginson says the team are determined to collect as many points as possible as the pursuit for the League Leaders Shield starts to hot up.

“We remember last season all too well.” He said.

“We dropped 15 points last year in the first part of the season and ultimately it ended up costing us the League Leaders shield. So far this year we’ve dropped 12 and we’re determined not to drop any more.

“It’s important that we go into this game and get the two points to keep up the pressure on Hull and make sure we pounce if they slipup.”

Wigan Warriors host St Helens in the Derby at the DW Stadium tomorrow evening, Friday 22nd July - 8pm. Tickets for this huge game start from £22 for adults and £15 for concessions with tickets available from the DW Stadium Ticket Office, the Ticket Hotline and online using the print@home option HERE.

http://www.wiganwarriors.com/news/2016- ... MBbhiKX.99
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Josie's friend

Re: This is the One

Post by Josie's friend »

:eusa3: