Wigan v Wakey

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
SJ

Re: Wigan v Wakey

Post by SJ »

Agreed :D
up the junction

Post by up the junction »

cpwigan wrote:Were you not given a list of players?
As answered by Rufford .Now don't get me wrong ,it was,a much more meaningful award when it was chosen by the press but with sales of tables and sponsorship being crucial to match day income ,the Mom award is an incentave to potential sponsors and part of the package to sell such .
Southern Softy

Post by Southern Softy »

You can only beat what's in front of you, so the team did really well. Amazing what a couple of early tries does for the confidence!
Slightly O/T - Hampshire was really impressive for Cas last night. Could be he has found his best place on the wing - maybe with Dom at centre next season? Gelling fans, don't all post at once.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

[quote="upthejunction]
cpwigan wrote:Were you not given a list of players?
As answered by Rufford .Now don't get me wrong ,it was,a much more meaningful award when it was chosen by the press but with sales of tables and sponsorship being crucial to match day income ,the Mom award is an incentave to potential sponsors and part of the package to sell such.[/quote]

Thanks for the info
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

I thought smiths try was a rather good one last night the entire play cut through their line but smith did a nice to way dodge (right then left) to get through three defenders.

Thought it was worth a mention :)

These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Rufford wrote:cp - I've chosen mom for sponsors in the past. It's not on rotation. Yes we were given a list of players....it was the team sheet.
No worrys. Done it muyself a few seasons back and you were given a list of players to select from. It was not the entire team.
Wiganer Ted

Post by Wiganer Ted »

Heard it said last night that Wakey were only two players different to the team that we beat less than a month ago by a try in the 80th minute by Lewis Tierney.
We managed to keep 13 on the field for 80 mins last night, it does help!

A very good performance from the whole squad.
They looked keen, very "up for it" and fast.
Sometimes it only needs one good win to transform a team's season. Hope that was it.
moto748

Post by moto748 »

However poor/busted Wakey were, there's surely no doubt that that was a much-improved attacking performance. We actually had players in motion, and an urgency to keep the ball alive. And I thought Wane actually spoke very well after the game.

But it does beg the obvious, 'elephant in the room' question: if all that was needed was "a few little tweaks to our attack, nothing major", if it was that simple, why the hell wasn't 'it' done a lot earlier in the season?
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Confidence is a huge factor in sport. Wakey have zero confidence at the moment and it will get worse by the match in the 8's. Wally Lewis could be on the team sheet at this moment in time and it would not make any difference. The counter is that whomever you play, winning breeds confidence.

Tweaks? we will only know v the best Super 8 opponents. Castleford and for sure Saints will tell us FAR MORE. Cas with its restricted pitch will tell us a lot even though I do not see Cas as a top 4 team.
moto748

Post by moto748 »

Cas sure will tell us more. I'm on holiday now, and setting off for Cornwall on my bike shortly. I plan to do a bit of a tour (booked into Wales early next week), and had vague plans about looping round clockwise (perhaps with an overnight stay in Wigan) to end up in (or near) Cas next Friday.Should be some contest!

If the weather and my ageing bod are up to it!

The last time I went to Cas I met the lovely Maxine Peake at half-time and chatted to her in the beer queue all interval. She was so nice. Got back to my mate as the second half started: "You'll never guess who I've just been chatting to...!" Local (ish) girl, of course. Bolton, I think.