George Williams

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
TrueBlueWarrior

Re: George Williams

Post by TrueBlueWarrior »

He will also improve playing with better players!
'If you start listening to the fans it won't be long before you're sitting with them.' - Wayne Bennett
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

If smith is defo going George has GOT to play at 7.Im hoping we get a six with an all round kicking game.If Hampshire gets the chance with George then that's good.
I can only see Leuluai as another hooker option(unless we get injuries in the halves).
Tommys kicking game isn't the best.
Let's give George and Ryan a chance and end the should he shouldn't he feud
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
markill

Post by markill »

In our system I don't think it's particularly relevant whether a half has a 6 or a 7 on his back. They are essentially expected to play to the same structures both sides of the pitch. The difference we have is George as a more skilled runner will take the line on more when the structure breaks down, Smith can't do that really. Smith does nominally organise most of the attacking plays and does more of the kicking, but Brough does that for Huddersfield at 6, for example, so 6 or 7 matter less in split halves.

Tommy is playing very well in the halves this year for NZW. Been keeping other players out with his form. Him and Williams may both need to work on long/strategic kicking games, but we do have Sam T on the pitch who has a pretty good long kicking game as well.
in the world of mules, there are no rules

LATEST PODCAST EPISODE
https://www.spreaker.com/user/superleaguepod
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

Ok,regardless of 6 or 7, I think George plays his best rugby at first receiver.
He's a master of beating the first man who charges out of defence..This is why I think we need the second receiver to be more of a runner with a kicking game.
I don't think Tommy fits this role.
Like most people on here I don't think our style of play suits some halfs
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
moto748

Post by moto748 »

josie andrews wrote: I've not watched him this time around, but didn't think he did much for London last time he was here.
He's been good for Penrith, playing against better opposition than he'd face in SL. Also, the days of him being a turnstile in defence are pretty much gone; he's decent there for his size now.

Whether he's a 'Wigan-type player' (and whether that matters) is another question.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Soward is very much a confidence player and therein is problem the reason he has bever realised his potential. Too big a risk IMO.
moto748

Post by moto748 »

cpwigan wrote:Soward is very much a confidence player and therein is problem the reason he has bever realised his potential. Too big a risk IMO.
Well, you say that, but he played Origin and won an NRL Grand Final. Most players would think that a pretty decent career.

cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

moto748 wrote:
cpwigan wrote:Soward is very much a confidence player and therein is problem the reason he has bever realised his potential. Too big a risk IMO.
Well, you say that, but he played Origin and won an NRL Grand Final. Most players would think that a pretty decent career.
He has but his biggest fan Gus Gould who IIRC signed him twice said exactly what I said re confidence and realising his potential. His kicking game and when he is on is why so many clubs have signed him but equally as many have let him go.
pieaterinLeigh

Post by pieaterinLeigh »

The NRL game and Superleague are very different and it can take time to transition between the 2 styles of game.

Look at Sandow last year! Yes like a lot of Aussies, he came over after injury so wasn't fit but he was called out as a flop last year after half a season. This season he's been Wire's arguably best player when fit and has really made them a lot better offensively.

I think with a full pre- season and warm up games then Soward would be a decent option for us, and given the NRL clubs don't seem to be fighting to chase him he may not cost us a lot more than Matty has been on since his new contract....... :roll:
Nezza Faz

Post by Nezza Faz »

But seeing everyone calls Smith's pace, then it's not much better in Soward's case. Speed ain't his strength, by a long chalk.

Even his goal kicking has gone off the boil the last couple of years, although his kicks in general play are still top order.

All in all though, not worth the swap with Smith given Smith's playing record in nearly all of Wigan's games. Soward's had a few injury problems as well. And like every other Aussie, given any new interest shown from home, and they're off back in a flash - contract or no contract.