Cas v Wigan

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Kittwazzer

Re: Cas v Wigan

Post by Kittwazzer »

old hooker wrote:I watched that rubbish last night and IL and his coaches have the nerve to tell us recruitment is finished.We need to find 2 or 3 top players and first of all a new coach
I'd say either/or. IMO this squad is better than the one Maguire inherited!
butt monkey

Post by butt monkey »

Better in what way?

The one Madge inherited had a lot more experienced players and not work in progress players or so many limited in first team action

Whoever takes over. If it does happen. Will have some serious work to do. The ability might be there, just need start bringing what talent the players possess out onto the field and not simply the exact same play every single time for 2 or 3 years
[img]http://www.webdeveloper.com/animations/ ... monkey.gif[/img]

The biggest Room is the Room for improvement.

The best form of defence is attack!!

Out of the black and into the red, remember you don't get anything for two in a bed!!
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

My wife picked up on the seeming lack of communication last night,even Bateman seemed quiet till the second half,he's normally like an over active yorkshire terrier but he seemed muted to me till late on.
old hooker

Post by old hooker »

Kittwazzer wrote:
old hooker wrote:I watched that rubbish last night and IL and his coaches have the nerve to tell us recruitment is finished.We need to find 2 or 3 top players and first of all a new coach
sorry kitt cant agree with you there, Powell, Smith, Sarginson, Isa, Gelling, Tierney arenot good enough for Wigan and MM would have got rid.
moto748

Post by moto748 »

Just on our squad, is it really all that?

If you were, say, Tony Smith, and you were offered free rein to swap any of your players for their Wigan opposite number, how many would you want?

Very few, I suspect.
Wandering Warrior

Post by Wandering Warrior »

We've got rid of two better centres than the two senior centres we've got now. Purely my opinion of course.
Gelling is far too inconsistent, an enigma in attack and a disaster in defence on any given occasion, but hey, he's a work in progress project?
Sarginson has been fits and starts while he's been with us and I do hope he's not offered an open door back should it go belly up in Oz.
When John Byrom plays on snow, he doesn't leave any footprints - Jimmy Armfield
moto748

Post by moto748 »

- should
+ when

I just can't see Sarginson being a success in the NFL.
Owd Codger

Post by Owd Codger »

old hooker wrote:
Kittwazzer wrote:
sorry kitt cant agree with you there, Powell, Smith, Sarginson, Isa, Gelling, Tierney arenot good enough for Wigan and MM would have got rid.
Tierney is a good back up player for the Full Back and Wing positions, so I think it is unfair to include him when he is not a regular member of the team.

And how does anyone know that Maguire would still have been as successful if he had stayed.

If his tenure at South Sidney is anything to go by, the answer could be no success.

Like Wigan, first season successful, but since, they have done nothing with speculation that his job could be under threat.
shaunedwardsfanclub

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

Whelley Warrior wrote:
old hooker wrote:
Kittwazzer wrote: I'd say either/or. IMO this squad is better than the one Maguire inherited!
Tierney is a good back up player for the Full Back and Wing positions, so I think it is unfair to include him when he is not a regular member of the team.

And how does anyone know that Maguire would still have been as successful if he had stayed.

If his tenure at South Sidney is anything to go by, the answer could be no success.

Like Wigan, first season successful, but since, they have done nothing with speculation that his job could be under threat.
We don't know whether Madge would have continued to be successful, although he did replicate his success over here by winning the toughest comp in the game. He also grabbed two sleeping giants with the scruf of the neck and propelled them to champion teams. How do you know that he wouldn't have continued to be a great success at Wigan? Is what your seeing at Wigan acceptable? If we end up empty handed for a third season in a row should we just accept it and carry on as normal? What changes do you propose? Do you find us entertaining? What do you think needs to happen to reverse the trend of reducing crowds? By the way, what did you think of our performance on Friday?
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
Owd Codger

Post by Owd Codger »

shaunedwardsfan​club​ wrote:
Whelley Warrior wrote:
old hooker wrote: sorry kitt cant agree with you there, Powell, Smith, Sarginson, Isa, Gelling, Tierney arenot good enough for Wigan and MM would have got rid.

We don't know whether Madge would have continued to be successful, although he did replicate his success over here by winning the toughest comp in the game. He also grabbed two sleeping giants with the scruf of the neck and propelled them to champion teams. How do you know that he wouldn't have continued to be a great success at Wigan? Is what your seeing at Wigan acceptable? If we end up empty handed for a third season in a row should we just accept it and carry on as normal? What changes do you propose? Do you find us entertaining? What do you think needs to happen to reverse the trend of reducing crowds? By the way, what did you think of our performance on Friday?
'Replicated his success over here over here by winning the toughest comp in the game' sounds like you are not in merry old England.

'Only propelled both clubs by the scruff of the neck in his first season'. Was he showing the same success in the second season at Wigan and also since the first season at South Sydney. In both cases No!

In his first season at Wigan, he had a first team squad which included the likes of Gleeson, Carmont, Richards, Tomkins, Leiluai, Fielden, Riddell, Hoffman, O'Loughlin, Mclloroum, Deakin etc, so hardly surprising he was successful with players like them. What is now wrong is that we have to much emphisis on Academy and not enough class players from elsewhere here and down under.

Instead of being so quick as usual in having a swipe at me, I have said elsewhere that the present level is not acceptable and that perhaps the time has come for a change of Coach. As for the performance on Friday, I cannot pass comment until I have seen a recording of the game as I did not go to Castleford due to another interest of mine.

Oh, and Powell is not the answer as some seem to think. If there is one thing we don't need, it is a Winging Yorkie!