Positive thread

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Exiled Wiganer

Re: Positive thread

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

well, here are my reasons to be cheerful...
1) we have been extraordinarily brave and resilient this year - the players' commitment to the cause has been superb
2) Williams will be world class soon
3) Sutton is becoming a fantastic player
4) Shorrocks has the look of a great player
5) Manfredi has been unstoppable at times
6) Gelling is increasingly more of a problem for the opposition than his own team
7) FPN is exactly the sort of signing we need - big and nasty
8) Tautai is turning into a far better player than I ever thought he would be
9) it remains a privilege to follow our great club. I will be forever in debt to my grandfather who took me to Central Park at the end of the 80s. If you think we are rubbish now, you should have seen Ness Flower's vintage...
10) this is a bit back handed, and I want to put this as positively as I can, but the shortcomings of our play this year have been so evident that it is inconceivable that the club won't do something about our attack before next year - in this fan site and twitter world, they know exactly what we think about the gap between attacking potential and the reality.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

markill wrote:10 years ago we were in the relegation places. Now, we're still in a chance of two of the three trophies, after losing a close semi final the other. We're not playing great but we've had some great wins this year - good Friday, Magic, both home games v Wakefield for different reasons. We can still be positive despite also being realistic that the team haven't attacked great. There's still time to turn that around. A win against Saints will do wonders.
10 years ago we were playing terrible and got into a relegation fight not helped by a points deduction. A change of coach, a couple of new players and bingo, we were the form team in SL. We missed out on the playoffs by about 2 points IIRC and the rest of the top teams were very pleased about that as we were a genuine threat. We are not remotely the form team in SL at the moment and no one fears us. There was far more positivity in the latter half of the 2006 season than there is in 2016 despite being at opposite ends of the table. Which just goes to show yet again that statistics without context are useless.

As to the two home wins v Wakefield being classed as great you must be joking. They both for different reasons highlight how poor we are! The first saw us struggle against an average not great side and the last one was an appalling performance against an injury hit team. It was exciting OK and the finish had me off my seat punching the air but that just covers up the shambles it was. This was not comparable to the truly great 31/30 win v Bradford who were a great side.

Exiled Wiganer

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

DaveO wrote:
markill wrote:10 years ago we were in the relegation places. Now, we're still in a chance of two of the three trophies, after losing a close semi final the other. We're not playing great but we've had some great wins this year - good Friday, Magic, both home games v Wakefield for different reasons. We can still be positive despite also being realistic that the team haven't attacked great. There's still time to turn that around. A win against Saints will do wonders.
10 years ago we were playing terrible and got into a relegation fight not helped by a points deduction. A change of coach, a couple of new players and bingo, we were the form team in SL. We missed out on the playoffs by about 2 points IIRC and the rest of the top teams were very pleased about that as we were a genuine threat. We are not remotely the form team in SL at the moment and no one fears us. There was far more positivity in the latter half of the 2006 season than there is in 2016 despite being at opposite ends of the table. Which just goes to show yet again that statistics without context are useless.

As to the two home wins v Wakefield being classed as great you must be joking. They both for different reasons highlight how poor we are! The first saw us struggle against an average not great side and the last one was an appalling performance against an injury hit team. It was exciting OK and the finish had me off my seat punching the air but that just covers up the shambles it was. This was not comparable to the truly great 31/30 win v Bradford who were a great side.

My god, what would you put into a negative thread?
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

morley pie eater wrote:
Exiled Wiganer wrote:
DaveO wrote: 10 years ago we were playing terrible and got into a relegation fight not helped by a points deduction. A change of coach, a couple of new players and bingo, we were the form team in SL. We missed out on the playoffs by about 2 points IIRC and the rest of the top teams were very pleased about that as we were a genuine threat. We are not remotely the form team in SL at the moment and no one fears us. There was far more positivity in the latter half of the 2006 season than there is in 2016 despite being at opposite ends of the table. Which just goes to show yet again that statistics without context are useless.

My god, what would you put into a negative thread?
:eusa2: :eusa2: :eusa2:
Anybody heard of Marvin the Paranoid Android (Hitchhikers'Guide to the Galaxy)?

"My capacity for happiness, you could fit into a matchbox without taking out the matches first."
Wigan ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Saints ⭐⭐⭐
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

My nominations for top ten, following 4G's lead:

You Can't Always Get What You Want - KC and the scum-shine band.

We Gan be Heroes - our squad

Always Look on the Bright Side of Life - some posters on this site

(I can't get no) Satisfaction - other posters on this site
Wigan ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Saints ⭐⭐⭐
markill

Post by markill »

DaveO wrote:

I think it was 2005 you're thinking off that we narrowly missed out. 2006 was the salary cap year and we were a couple of wins back. I think we're as feared now as we were then and I think other clubs would say the same, although we do have less momentum behind us right now than we did then I agree - in the name of positivity though, it's possible we could win 5 in a row going in to the semis and then we'd be feared for our momentum. In fact, I think we are still feared. We were one slightly forward pass / one dropped ball away from potentially beating Hull FC in the cup semi don't forget, and we're still in a chance of two trophies despite our poor form. We have class players who could win us games, who other teams will fear.

Oh, and great wins don't mean great performances. The comeback down a man with a patched up side in the regular season was a great win in it's own context. It was certainly great entertainment and I came away after buzzing. As was the big win, given how few of those we've been treated to this year.

And remember, this is the positive thread after all!
in the world of mules, there are no rules

LATEST PODCAST EPISODE
https://www.spreaker.com/user/superleaguepod
Owd Codger

Post by Owd Codger »

A positive thread which talks about negative times of the past!