Re: Smith to Saints

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Kiwiseddon

Post by Kiwiseddon »

I do get fed up with the criticism of the club for not confirming or denying rumours. They have also made announcements as and when they are confirmed and if Matty leaves, the club will make an announcement when things are signed and it's all official.
That's all they've ever done and all they ever will do. Why on earth would a club make a formal statement over something that is nothing more than a rumour and / or speculation at present.
They are under no obligation to supply information to a fan forum. But they always make formal club announcements as and when they are just that, formal.
"K"

"But look at, look at Lydon go here...Remniscent of those two great tries when he won the Lance Todd... He's got Hanley inside him. He's going all the way..........."
Southern Softy

Post by Southern Softy »

I think it's a bit more than a 'rumour.' If it's in the local newspaper (and I don't how well-regarded that is but it is well-read) and on a national news slot and then the projected destination team makes a comment, I would have thought supporters deserve to be told something definite by the club.
Kiwiseddon

Post by Kiwiseddon »

Southern Softy wrote:I think it's a bit more than a 'rumour.' If it's in the local newspaper (and I don't how well-regarded that is but it is well-read) and on a national news slot and then the projected destination team makes a comment, I would have thought supporters deserve to be told something definite by the club.
And I'm sure they will, once it's official. And why does it matter that we know? Our job is to support the team. Players come and go all the time.
"K"

"But look at, look at Lydon go here...Remniscent of those two great tries when he won the Lance Todd... He's got Hanley inside him. He's going all the way..........."
Southern Softy

Post by Southern Softy »

Simple good PR I would have said. We don't have a divine right to know everything about the club - players' salaries for one - but the apparent booing of Matty Smith at Cas puts this into a different category for me. Can't be good for the player and the team either.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Southern Softy wrote:Simple good PR I would have said. We don't have a divine right to know everything about the club - players' salaries for one - but the apparent booing of Matty Smith at Cas puts this into a different category for me. Can't be good for the player and the team either.
Exactly. I don't think I have ever seen a rumour have such a negative and obvious effect. It's OK having a "no comment" policy if you marry it to some common sense i.e. know when it is time to speak up.
Kiwiseddon

Post by Kiwiseddon »

DaveO wrote:
Southern Softy wrote:Simple good PR I would have said. We don't have a divine right to know everything about the club - players' salaries for one - but the apparent booing of Matty Smith at Cas puts this into a different category for me. Can't be good for the player and the team either.
Exactly. I don't think I have ever seen a rumour have such a negative and obvious effect. It's OK having a "no comment" policy if you marry it to some common sense i.e. know when it is time to speak up.
I was not aware he'd been booed at Cas. That does change things.
I personally don't feel that Matty is who I want at 7 for Wigan but he clearly knows the game and has a perfect professional attitude. What are people's thoughts on him being a coach at Wigan. Is he someone who's ability doesn't match the knowledge or RL brain he has? Would he be a good person to have around the club promoting an ethos and professionalism?
"K"

josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Kiwiseddon wrote:
DaveO wrote:
I was not aware he'd been booed at Cas. That does change things.
I personally don't feel that Matty is who I want at 7 for Wigan but he clearly knows the game and has a perfect professional attitude. What are people's thoughts on him being a coach at Wigan. Is he someone who's ability doesn't match the knowledge or RL brain he has?
Would he be a good person to have around the club promoting an ethos and professionalism?
I think that's a good shout. You cannot fail to see the passion with which he plays for the badge. He may not be everyone's ideal choice as 7, but you cannot challenge his committment, he gives 100% every game.

Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

DaveO wrote:
Giveon the vitriol aimed towards Smith this was a time when a few words were needed.
Owd Codger

Post by Owd Codger »

Come on, it was a rumour which no doubt was started here in Wigan by those who do not like Smith and I fail to see why the club should be blamed for not commenting on something which had nothing to do with them.

We have enough problems at the moment without this kind of nonsense!