For those of you who think Wane can't coach

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Caboosegg

Re: For those of you who think Wane can't coach

Post by Caboosegg »

God wrote:It's a simple play even I can coach something like that, entice players out of the line. Credit should be given to Tomkins rather than Wane as Tomkins spots an obvious weakness in defence, all good fullbacks should do this play.

I sit with a bloke who has known SW since he was a child and he has never questioned his desire only that he isn't the sharpest tool in the box.

Something like this doesn't come from the coach but from Tomkins who isolates the young lad and makes him interested.

Credit is given to how well we defend, this is solely down to SW. But in attack we are still flat as a fart.
surely the credit should go the the coach who trained the player as a youngster and taught them to look for weakness in the line?
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
Wandering Warrior

Post by Wandering Warrior »

ddtftf wrote:I now only post in Private groups with any information i have. This forum needs to stop Shooting the messengers.
So, have you got any scoops d?
When John Byrom plays on snow, he doesn't leave any footprints - Jimmy Armfield
pieaterinLeigh

Post by pieaterinLeigh »

Hey D

People like you who have insights and information I don't hear are why I bother to come on here so I for one with would appreciate you're not being put off.

I do understand though, I took the time to post my thoughts on the thread title which is at the bottom of page 2. The very next post then derailed the thread back into petty bickering.

By saying that I'm not being personal towards those involved but I think the mods need to recognise this type of behaviour discourages open debate as many will just not bother posting anything if it means their efforts are either completely ignored or makes them targets for insults

Wiganer Ted

Post by Wiganer Ted »

If Waney and the rest couldn't coach, with our injuries we'd have been a long way south of 3rd after 23 games.

The team play has been dull all right but maybe when 8 men short out of 17 the squad have been told to play it tight until the 4 th or 5th play. Minimise risks and the defence will get us through most matches as it has done.

This year I've noticed improvements in Manfredi, Gelling, Gildart, Charnley, Smith, and the forwards in general have been very good.
Our attacking play has been poor to watch but perhaps that's down to the tactics/game plan deliberately employed to gain as risk free a win as possible.

Last Friday we saw an offloading game which can certainly be credited with Williams' try from Tautai. The match wasn't boring just spoilt by the soaked pitch and subsequent bad handling by both sides.

I do think that now we've players back, and v Widnes Clubb is said to be returning we shall see a better standard of Rugby to watch and hopefully some wins which will get us a trophy or two.
keptinthedarkfans

Post by keptinthedarkfans »

ddtftf wrote:I now only post in Private groups with any information i have. This forum needs to stop Shooting the messengers.
I for one appreciate your honest input and hope that you carry on giving us your reliable information. Gutted that a couple of childish morons try to spoil what in the main is a good forum and try to demean some of the best and most reliable posters. You being imo the best and most reliable of these.
wall_of_voodoo

Post by wall_of_voodoo »

Caboosegg wrote:
God wrote:It's a simple play even I can coach something like that, entice players out of the line. Credit should be given to Tomkins rather than Wane as Tomkins spots an obvious weakness in defence, all good fullbacks should do this play.

I sit with a bloke who has known SW since he was a child and he has never questioned his desire only that he isn't the sharpest tool in the box.

Something like this doesn't come from the coach but from Tomkins who isolates the young lad and makes him interested.

Credit is given to how well we defend, this is solely down to SW. But in attack we are still flat as a fart.
surely the credit should go the the coach who trained the player as a youngster and taught them to look for weakness in the line?
Do you mean those in the amateur game?

I congratulate you sir/madam for that attitude. For too long the coaching at junior level have been ignored
I'm a better fan than you
Because I don't "Boo"!!!

Yes I bloody know transfer fees do not count on the salary cap for those illiterates that need it explaining to them because they assume everyone is as thick as they are :roll:
wall_of_voodoo

Post by wall_of_voodoo »

Wiganer Ted wrote:If Waney and the rest couldn't coach, with our injuries we'd have been a long way south of 3rd after 23 games.

The team play has been dull all right but maybe when 8 men short out of 17 the squad have been told to play it tight until the 4 th or 5th play. Minimise risks and the defence will get us through most matches as it has done.

This year I've noticed improvements in Manfredi, Gelling, Gildart, Charnley, Smith, and the forwards in general have been very good.
Our attacking play has been poor to watch but perhaps that's down to the tactics/game plan deliberately employed to gain as risk free a win as possible.

Last Friday we saw an offloading game which can certainly be credited with Williams' try from Tautai. The match wasn't boring just spoilt by the soaked pitch and subsequent bad handling by both sides.

I do think that now we've players back, and v Widnes Clubb is said to be returning we shall see a better standard of Rugby to watch and hopefully some wins which will get us a trophy or two.
I fully agree with you pal!

What some people want is disturbing. We beat (well embarrass) our major rivals and yet all fans can complain about is the amount dropped ball. I have news for you. The weather was terrible prior to kick off and this resulted in the mistakes from both sides

Wigan's defence was as good as you will see this season and repeat that and no team will beat us. Wane is a superb coach who has had to deal with an extreme season of injuries and unavailability. We sit third and are in prime position for a return to Old Trafford and glory in the Grand Final

Enjoy!!! Trust in Wane and we will go places
I'm a better fan than you
Because I don't "Boo"!!!

Yes I bloody know transfer fees do not count on the salary cap for those illiterates that need it explaining to them because they assume everyone is as thick as they are :roll:
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

keptinthedarkfa​ns​ wrote:
I for one appreciate your honest input and hope that you carry on giving us your reliable information. Gutted that a couple of childish morons try to spoil what in the main is a good forum and try to demean some of the best and most reliable posters. You being imo the best and most reliable of these.
Well said Paul :)
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
moto748

Post by moto748 »

Can we put this thing to bed about watering the pitch? Is it something they are forced to do by the football people, or is it something they choose to do?
SJ

Post by SJ »

jaws1 wrote:4G it was far from a master class ok we beat a poor Saints side and defended well. The only highlights was Gell's 3 trys other than we mediocre we lost loads of ball and Saints were poor.
I wouldn't exactly call it a master class but to nil any Saints side deserves recognition

To be objective re the above subject. I don't think anyone can deny SW has not been one of our most successful coaches wether he is a good coach is a purely subjective matter. Many think he is many think he's not. It depends on the criteria one chooses to judge him on. In terms of success one would I think conclude he is a good coach and eo ipso can coach