ins......and outs

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
cpwigan

Re: ins......and outs

Post by cpwigan »

:conf: No allowed to state opinions eh. Opinions seemingly supported by those paid to make them.

So come on Schalk WHO out of those released would make a top SL player? Many never even played 1 first team match.

The players I have backed as having the best chance are ones that the majority would back and I've watched both teams on numerous occasions and watched youngsters coming through back in the days of the old Friday night Alliance matches at CP.

Not bagging any young player. You give it your best and if it's time to go elsewhere then you do so and do your best again. Release does not mean you have failed (provided you gave it everything and these lads have) nor does it mean the end of a career.

Don't be such a silly billy and as for the brawl comment. I could not give a damn about it. Players fighting is often funny because by and large they cannot fight and it's incredibly futile because they damage their hands.

Jeepers, if I talk ****** God help you

:eh:

Moderator message: Please don't use abusive language (or you Shalk). Thanks, Rob
Fraggle

Post by Fraggle »

pie eaters posted:
yeah ive heard dave allen is in talks with a move to london broncos as a replacement for francis stephenson
He'd been hailed as the next big thing for 2-3 seasons, but hasn't really shone when he's played first team. A squad player, at best, for Wigan, so if he wants regular first team rugby then it's right for him to look elsewhere. Same goes for some of the other players, there aren't enough 1st team slots for everyone and if some of them want first team football sooner rather than later then they will leave. Maybe releasing such players will come back and haunt us, but unless someone comes up with a way of accommodating everyone under the salary cap and ensuring they all get equal playing time then some good ones will go.

BTW another one apparently confirmed is Desi Williams to Hull KR. He didn't get a game last year, so maybe not too much of a surprise, but another of last year's first team squad out the door.
http://fraggle.fotopic.net

"You rescue me, you are my faith, my hope, my liberty.
And when there's darkness all around, you shine bright for me, you are a guiding light to me....
You are a Tower of Strength to me" - Wayne Hussey, The Mission.

Shepherd's Bush Empire - 27/Feb/08 - 1/Mar/08
[hr]
GeoffN

Post by GeoffN »

Fraggle posted:

BTW another one apparently confirmed is Desi Williams to Hull KR. He didn't get a game last year, so maybe not too much of a surprise, but another of last year's first team squad out the door.
Seems like he's suffering on the basis of one bad game...he did OK in his first SL appearance (against London), but then had a nightmare against Cas the following game, and was never seen again.
Nine

Post by Nine »

GeoffN posted:
Seems like he's suffering on the basis of one bad game...he did OK in his first SL appearance (against London), but then had a nightmare against Cas the following game, and was never seen again.
He was seen frequently in the Under-21s afterwards, though - and failed to impress at that level. I think Williams has run out of time, as has Allen, and Beswick.

The 20-20 rule plus the need to make room in the Academy for the next batch of possible stars put the squeeze on players who are leaving their teens. The club has a lot of tough decisions to make at this time of year, and I'm glad it's not me having to make the call. Promise isn't always fulfilled at that age, and it needs a good eye to decide what players will go on to make it, and which have probably hit a plateau.

FWIW I'm not unhappy that Beswick, Allen & Williams are on their way, and good luck to them wherever they go - apart from when they play Wigan, of course. I would be concerned if Tommy Coyle was let go because he does look to have something special about him - though it's too early in his development to tell for sure. That being said, sometimes it's the players who insist on going because they fancy their chances of a regular first-team spot elsewhere.
Squad number 18!
GeoffN

Post by GeoffN »

Confirmed in today's Wigan Reporter that Williams has signed for Hull KR.

He's in the team for the U21 GF, and the squad looks pretty much like our first team squad!

http://www.wiganwarriors.com/news_full.asp?newsid=1565

"The Wigan squad looks particularly strong with seven of the starting line up having first team experience to some degree in 2005. The Warriors eighteen man squad for the clash is:-

Chris Ashton, Andrew Ballard, Sean Gleeson, Liam Colbon, Desi Williams, James Coyle, Steven Roper, Simon Bissell, Bob Beswick, Lee Jewitt, Gary Sykes, Joel Tomkins, Danny Speakman, Martin Kenyon, Ben Kavanagh, Mike McIlorum, Thomas Coyle, Mark Brocklehurst."
Fraggle

Post by Fraggle »

pie eaters posted:
the only two to make it was o loughlin and hock
You forgot to include Rickkkaaayy Bibey :lol: :o
http://fraggle.fotopic.net

"You rescue me, you are my faith, my hope, my liberty.
And when there's darkness all around, you shine bright for me, you are a guiding light to me....
You are a Tower of Strength to me" - Wayne Hussey, The Mission.

Shepherd's Bush Empire - 27/Feb/08 - 1/Mar/08
[hr]
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Sorry Rob :cool:

I think for some players leaving Wigan could be the making of them. Bob Beswick is clearly suited to the hooker role and will only get that opportunity away from Wigan.

Dave Allen, career blighted by injuries, held back his development. May do fine elsewhere.

Professional rugby league is very cut throat
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

pie eaters posted:
it seems as though bob beswick was the forgotton man at the jjb this year he started so prmising then had a injury and just seemed to disappear
He played a few games but in thw wrong position. He always seemd to give 100% but his build is suited to hooker and unless Newtoin leaves he is behind Godwin and Newton for that slot.

He just isn't big enough to play in the back row and it is because we had to play players like him elsewhere in the pack we got steam rollered by bigger sides.

If he gets the hooking slot at another club he will do fine but if he does I shall be banging my head against the wall if we get the usual "we should never have let him go posts".

You have to make the decidions as to who to keep and who to let go given the circumstances at the time you must make the decisions.

That applied to the player who it is most often said about. The cry of "we should not heve let him go" has been said about Briscoe a million times and at the the time the club made the decision it was best for club and player.

The same applies to Beswick. At this point in time he has to leave to get on in the game.

Good luck to him.

Dave
robjoenz

Post by robjoenz »

Halifax, Cas or Whitehaven!
robjoenz

Post by robjoenz »

pie eaters posted:
yeah im losing it me i even saw the game at a pub and watched it yeah i meant halifax
Which pub? It wasn't on tv, not even the Haven-Cas game was on tele!