Disgusting

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
AncientWarrior

Terry Newton - A New Slant!!!!

Post by AncientWarrior »

I have read the reams of comments about TN and his indiscetions on the rugby field - from alleged supporters calling him 'our animal' to other sanctimonious posters advocating that we 'de-register' him but I should like to add my own views.

During a season when our under-sized, under-weight pack has been pushed all over the park by all and sundry (in many cases by lesser teams), one man has stood up to be counted and has played with passion throughout - Terry Newton.

This is the nature of the player, this is what he does. This is a high-contact sport which is why we all watch it and for anyone to suggest that in the speed and heat of the battle (for that is what it is) Terry Newton was able to 'line-up' Long and aim for his cheek-bone to inflict that injury is IMO nonsense. Much more likely in my view is that Newton intended to hurt Long in the tackle - something we as a team have been unable to do all season long - and that the resulting injury was a combination of the illegality of the tackle (which is not in dispute) and the involvement of the other Saints player.

Whether you think the punishment is excessive or perverse (as I do) does not alter the fact that TN will be missing for a long time but again, as I have previously stated, this is the nature of the player and I shudder to think of the outcome to this season if we had not had him in our team.

Every team has someone like Newton that the opposition fear and these men 'play on the edge' most of the time. When so called 'supporters' disown them whenever they step over the line I feel they should be watching Sadlers Wells production of 'Swan Lake' rather than rugby league.

These are the considered views of someone who has experienced the work of such sensitive players as: MIck Sullivan (master of the stiff-arm,) Bill McFarlane (master of everything illegal), Stan Owen, Vince Karalius, Rocky Turner - the list is endless and you would find Terry Newton lingering a long way down this list of miscreants.

It's rugby league - people get hurt!!!!
A word of encouragement during a failure is worth more than an hour of praise after success.

robjoenz

Re: Terry Newton - A New Slant...

Post by robjoenz »

Yeah... don't know whethet you noticed but there has already a thread about Terry Newton's ban where people have been sharing their opinions regardless of whether they think they are 'more right' than every other poster.
Matthew

Re: Terry Newton - A New Slant...

Post by Matthew »

AncientWarrior posted:

Whether you think the punishment is excessive or perverse (as I do) does not alter the fact that TN will be missing for a long time but again, as I have previously stated, this is the nature of the player and I shudder to think of the outcome to this season if we had not had him in our team.
Agreed up until TN lost his head in stains game by trying to remove long's and gimour's, his efforts this season have definitely be one of the reasons we weren't fighting relegation.

However by getting banned for such a long period he has handicapped us for a third of next season - so next season is unlikely to see him win man of steel.
AncientWarrior posted:
Every team has someone like Newton that the opposition fear and these men 'play on the edge' most of the time. When so called 'supporters' disown them whenever they step over the line I feel they should be watching Sadlers Wells production of 'Swan Lake' rather than rugby league.
I think that I speak for most people on this board when I say that we would have been delighted if TN had put long out of the match with a legal hit. However TN actions have hurt him and the club more than long - there is talk of long recovering in time for the grand final (which stains will surely make), mean while TN can look forward to no competitive rugby for 7 months - he'll hardly be match fit when he returns will he?
"And Martin Offiah, trying to make some space, now then..." - Ray French, Wembley 1994
------------------------------------------------
Interviewer: So that obviously means that you're not going to St Helens and you're not going to Leeds?

Frano: I don't know why I would ever want to go to St Helens or Leeds
------------------------------------------------
jinkin jimmy

Re: Terry Newton - A New S...

Post by jinkin jimmy »

Well, Ancient Warrior I have got to say that your opinions are quite a way from mine. No problem with that, but why do people who are (IMO rightly) wanting to disown TN suddenly called by you "so called fans"? It's because they - as fans - have seen the damage he has caused to next season's campaign that they are so angry with him.

You can go on all night about hard men from a bygone era, but what TN has done has no place in the modern game. This opinion doesn't make me any less of a supporter than you, merely a less biased one.
willie c

Post by willie c »

just a few week before tn did that to long everybody was calling for reilly from huddersfield to be banned for months when he was sent off for useing a elbow now we have people saying that tn got a bad deal and as for this its a hard game people get hurt is a poor excuse for what he did
here mate is that tackle seven your jokeing my head marra
cpwigan

Re: Disgusting

Post by cpwigan »

In the WEP, Newton and his solicitor say the appeal was based on new evidence showing he did not lead with the elbow on Long. They feel they proved that to be the case to no avail.

Was Newton guilty IMO yes
Was newton treated fairly IMO no
GeoffN

Re: Disgusting

Post by GeoffN »

pie eaters posted:
im goin to have one last say newton deserved his ban for the tackle he definently deserved to be banned no doubt whatso ever
Most people are agreeing with that, just saying that equally deserving 'tackles' don't incur the same penalty for other players.
Andy Wilson, in the Guardian article, actually talks good sense, for once, in calling for something similar to the NRL system...

"There is growing support for the introduction of Australia's more structured procedure, under which each incident of foul play has a points tariff, imposed whether or not the player is sent off. Each 100 points received means a one-match ban, with 75 for a grade one careless high tackle rising to 950 for a grade five intentional high tackle."

MrsLam

Post by MrsLam »

robjoenz posted:
Yeah... don't know whethet you noticed but there has already a thread about Terry Newton's ban where people have been sharing their opinions regardless of whether they think they are 'more right' than every other poster.
Rich coming from you! AncientWarrior was just expressing their opinion as everyone else on that thread have, it just isn't the same as yours.
Am in agreement with a lot of what you say Ancientwarrior, and Wigan fans on here must be the least biased people I have ever met. I've never been on a message board when aplayers been banned for a few months and seen so many "Oh well he deserved it" "lets get rid now"
Fair enough if he deserved it but my gawd, get rid of him? What about a bit of loyalty like the badge says? He's got his punishment, nowt we can do about that now whether we believe his punishment to be correct or not but stand by him at least. He's a Wigan player, he didn't leave when this season looked tough and we shouldn't desert him now.
:thum: Ancient and Loyal :thum:

2005 - Play for pride
2006 - Play!
robjoenz

Post by robjoenz »

MrsLam posted:
Rich coming from you! AncientWarrior was just expressing their opinion as everyone else on that thread have, it just isn't the same as yours.
I wrote that because they started a new thread with their message and Mike has since moved it onto this thread.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

I have to say Mrs Lam is spot on regarding people calling for the club to boot Terry. It's disloyal and totally out of order. The guys played when he shouldn't have week in week out in tremendous pain. He's been terribly well behaved this year. What have people said, we need Terry to get stuck in blah blah blah.He lost it once and for all we know he may have been asked to get stuck in etc by his own coaching team. Believe me it happens.

I'm not ready to turn my back on Terry Newton