Tonights Game

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
medlocke

Re: Tonights Game

Post by medlocke »

shaunedwardsfan​club​ wrote:
medlocke wrote:Could of got the draw there, why the fook didn't we kick the penalty, it is beyond belief, get the draw then try and win, a draw is better than a loss, now we knock on, try gone begging FFS.
The coaching staff told the players to run the ball, I just don't believe it!
4 or 5 times
doc

Post by doc »

cpwigan wrote:Doc I am not even sure George is fully fit. DT highlighted an injury issue that the club seem happy to manager as long as he gets out on the pitch and flogs himself.
He's nowhere near fit, a ball running halfback needs players providing decoys.
Even when he makes a half break he very rarely has support. Similarly when he has to scramble across the line the players out wide hold their position rather than coming back against the grain looking for a drop off ball.

We haven't used many decoy runners for a few years now since that season the refs started being silly on the obstruction rule and we subsequently changed our attacking structures. Saying that, Bentham missed several blatant obstructions tonight.
pedro

Post by pedro »

total disgrace, 11 men and we couldnt score. Id drop all 17 and play the reserves next week.
Wiganer Ted

Post by Wiganer Ted »

I came off the ground at the end of the match absolutely infuriated.

We expect our team to try and win games, they threw that one away. If you can't at least get a draw, we threw that chance away too.
With 24 mins to go they get penalised and a player sent into the bin for 10. It was a given to go get the 2, level the game up, ball back from the kick off against 12 men.

As for the Matty Smith debate, he would have gone for the 2, levelled up and if was still 8-8 with minutes to go kicked a drop goal to win it. YES, I think if Matty Smith had played we'd have won that game!
slimshady

Post by slimshady »

Nothing's going to change, apart from smith to stains, charnley to sale and sarge to aus. Leneghan will still be a cheapskate who persists with the fantasy of a team of world beaters from Wigan.
We need some halfbacks, some quality that we won't find over here. The games gone backwards, 5 drives and a kick is standard practice in SL. Nobody has any flair anymore, all coached like robots on the credits of the sky coverage.
The backs have been poor since we lost Blake Green and it won't change with the addition of TL. We should be in for people like Gidley, Pearce or Widdop but no we get TL who only offers us defence, crap kicking game and no idea in attack.
thegimble

Post by thegimble »

captinjack wrote:A terrible display tonight, one or two, TT and Bateman, did better than the rest, but only just. Tomkins is a lame duck, I think IFL was conned into bringing him back, he needs to be on his way as soon as possible, be away before the start on next season. It will be very doubtful if I renew my season ticket until changes are made, a new coach, an attack coach and some experienced Aussie players is what is needed.

As for Bentham he has always been incompetent, and he just enforced his status with his display tonight, assisted by the Chuckle Brother and the other tosser running the line. He give Widnes a team warning a good half an hour after they should have been given one, and then gave them another two, two players sinned binned, the second should have been shown a red card.

Widnes played awful tonight, but not as bad as us. I think that display tonight put the tin hat on it for this season. Hull will have an easy passage against us, and the same can be said of Warrington. The only word for that display is Shite.

If any of the coaching staff from the club read this thread, which I don't think they will, they should publicly apologise to the fans for that display prior to putting in their resignations. :angry:
Prop forwards need to run straight, if our guys were in the NRL they would be dropped with immediate effect. Wane has got to go for the benefit of the club. We shall see if the powers that be have the balls to make the right decision.
Our props are never used in attack or hardly used. its not their fault. We have 4/5 exceptional props but they might as well not play.
moto748

Post by moto748 »

slimshady wrote: We should be in for people like Gidley, Pearce or Widdop but no we get TL who only offers us defence, crap kicking game and no idea in attack.
Tommy has been twice the attacking half that Widdop has been this season.
Nezza Faz

Post by Nezza Faz »

moto748 wrote:
slimshady wrote: We should be in for people like Gidley, Pearce or Widdop but no we get TL who only offers us defence, crap kicking game and no idea in attack.
Tommy has been twice the attacking half that Widdop has been this season.
But Widdop's been carrying St George on his own all season - very little now coming off Marshall, and their forwards been well off the pace.
Southern Softy

Post by Southern Softy »

I'm wary about talking of players who 'aren't fit to wear the shirt' but there were a stack of players out there who just weren't Wigan class or Wigan-type players.

The only ones who could realistically hold their heads up were Farrell (outstanding) Flower and Charnley, who never got a pass but when he came looking for the ball made determined runs and was furious at the end when Gelling threw the ball into touch - perhaps his best moment of the night. That corner flag may never recover.

It does look as if Sammy has a problem because he doesn't have the confidence to run the ball straight back from full-back. Maybe there's a residual worry about the long-term effects of that leg injury and the subsequent operation.

As for Matty Smith, I can't believe there are people out there who think that he wouldn't have made any difference to the result. I simply cannot remember a worse Wigan performance and that includes when Millward was in charge.

I'm torn between hoping that we don't qualify for the semis because I think we'll get thumped or supporting the team to get through and finding SW in charge again next season.
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

The future without Smith was laid bare last night,it's a horrifying vision too,perhaps now people will start to understand what he brings to the side .