Warrington game

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
scholesjohn

Warrington game

Post by scholesjohn »

16 - 18

Well we won... just
Had to listen on radio, sounded end to end stuff, tho sounded like we missed a regular full back

Mike Gregory said (on radio) he thought the lads were probably a bit impatient and so made a few silly errors, but was happy with the win.
robjoenz

Re: Warrington game

Post by robjoenz »

I think every travelling fan was over the moon with the win today. It's true to say we didn't really deserve it, as for about 65 minutes of the game we were outplayed. In the past we've stuffed Warrington but today we had just two good spells, at the end of each half.

Not many players could say they played well, they played with pride but only for 10-15 mintes of the 80. Faz was lack lustre, Carney wasn't running out of tackles like he often does, O'Loughlin hasn't been performing for a few weeks now. There was only really, Newton, O'Conner and Smith that played with any conviction, perhaps with the expection of a few moves (including the run for the try of the day) by Luke Robinson.

Does anyone else agree that David Hodgson looks like he couldn't care less? I know he's out of position at full back but anyone knows that when the ball is kicked high with attackers approaching you jump for the ball not wait for it to drop allowing the Wolves to score? It wasn't just that either, he showed no urgency in his game, we were trailling by 2 points and he was dordling back with the ball.

I found Silverwood to be a terrible ref. The amount of decisions for offside against them that he didn't give was terrible. Time after time after time they were stood in front of him (often directly in front) and he didn't give any (to my recollection). He make more decisions from the linesman than he did himself, infact, he made more decisions from the crowd than he did off his own bat.

I was disappointed by the apparent tactics of the Wolves, right from the first Wigan movement Appo showed their dirty intentions by going in overly hard on Faz. There were quite a few instances where arms went high in the tackle and fists were flying in. Can anyone understand why Smithy was sinbinned for what looked like, to me, as getting the stuffing punched out of him? How can a man with the ball be punched by four men, keep hold of the ball and then get sin binned? It's beyond me, the only explanation I can give is the name Dicky Silverwood.

Anyway, at the end of the day we got two points and now we have the game against halifax to look forward too, hopefully without too much complacency!
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

robjoenz, thanks for the feedback on the game. I couldn't make due to illness and its very frustrating to rely on the radio.

Do you think the high shot on Faz affected his game? I have also heard he has a thigh injury and with Lam going off its a bit of a concern that two of our most important players may well join that never ending list of injuries.

Dave
robjoenz

Post by robjoenz »

The radio is frustrating isn't it, and their views seemed to differ so much from people at the game. Listening to GMR on the way home they were praising Farrell but I didn't really see anything special. Maybe it was because of the knock he took, he certainly looked pleased at the end of the game, punching the air and saluting the travelling fans.

I think we'll look a lot better when Radlinski's back.
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

robjoenz posted:
The radio is frustrating isn't it, and their views seemed to differ so much from people at the game. Listening to GMR on the way home they were praising Farrell but I didn't really see anything special. Maybe it was because of the knock he took, he certainly looked pleased at the end of the game, punching the air and saluting the travelling fans.
Personally I thought their (GMRs) summary was a lot more realistic than yours. Silverwood did pin Warrington for offside about 4 times. Faz didn't have a creative game, but he drove the ball up with great determination - and in a physical game like this you can't ask for much more. The front row were also extremely committed, but I lost count of the number of passes that Newton threw to no-body.

I think if you read the match reports from the Independent and the Telegraph, you will get a more objective view of the players performances (they are linked at the bottom of this page).

Our main problem was our defence - Wire broke our line cleanly at least 4 or 5 times, but we only managed a single bust.

If you listened to the phone-in after the match, the couple of WIgnaers that got through seemed to agree (in general) with the GMR view of the game.

I was a little worried by Mike Gregory's after match interview. He still seems to have stars in his eyes about the job - you get the impression that he is a little in awe of some of the senior players. He said: "Sometimes you don't have to coach them, you just let them play." That may well be the case, but it certainly wasn't today. We seemed to lack a "big picture" game plan. Admittedly our linch pin Lam was forced to retried early, and Gregory has only had 1 week to settle in. Hopefully, he can develop into the some of technical, thinking coach that the youngster are going to need to improve their game.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
wolftown warrior

Post by wolftown warrior »

thanx for the info guys!!
regardless of how well or who performed on the day we got the win, wasn`t pretty but ,hey, we got the win that we needed to get with gregorys first game in charge...

what we have to remember to now is that warrington are a dencent team this year.. from what saw of em down at the JJB they played some good football

i am now more concerned bout little lammy`s injury.. didn`t know bout it till i just read the report for u guys..
any updates?

we have had some lucky escapes in recent weeks.. i`m hoping that this is just another patch & we will hit just the right note heading into the play off`s..
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

wolftown warrior posted:
i am now more concerned bout little lammy`s injury..
any updates?
Its an ankle injury. He is rated likely to be OK for Halifax next Sunday
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐