Wane still has aim of top spot

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Wane still has aim of top spot

Post by josie andrews »

Shaun Wane has backed his players to resurrect their charge for Super League’s top-spot - and make Wigan’s critics eat their words.

The Warriors are three points behind new leaders Warrington with three rounds to go before the play-offs.

A top-two spot would secure the Warriors a home semi-final and, with matches against Hull FC and the Wolves to come, Wane has not given up hope of claiming the league leaders’ shield.

He knows they must make improvements to their performance on Thursday night, but he is keeping their shock 8-6 defeat by Widnes in perspective.

“It’s one game, and we lost by two points to a good side,” he said. “

“We were poor, I won’t get away from that fact, but how people react to that is out of my control.

“The only thing we can control now is going to Hull and putting in a good performance.

“And we’re looking forward to it. We’re motivated and ready to prove some people wrong.”

Finishing in the No.1 spot is out of Wigan’s hands – they could win all their remaining three matches and still come up short.

But Wane has targeted an unbeaten charge through September to put them in the best possible position - starting with Friday’s trip to Challenge Cup winners Hull.

He said: “The players are very motivated. They can’t wait to get stuck into this week.
“We’re looking forward to going there.”

He hopes to welcome back halfback Matty Smith (illness) and prop Dom Crosby (injury) after they missed out last week.

Wane, along with director Winston Higham and doctor Chris Brookes, represented Wigan at the unveiling of the Billy Boston statue in the town centre on Saturday.

“It makes me proud that we’ve done something like this,” added Wane. “It’s a great statue, very life-like.

“Whenever you travel around England or Wales, you mention Wigan and it’s ‘rugby league’ and ‘Billy Boston’, and it’s terrific we've got a permanent tribute to someone who has done so much for our town"

http://www.wigantoday.net/sport/wigan-w ... -1-8104874
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
markill

Re: Wane still has aim of top spot

Post by markill »

Given how angry Wane was after the game, I would have expected the players to be in for review on Friday last week. Apparently though he only had them in on Sudnay for the review, after the Wigan 10k. Not sure if they were in for other extras before then but not the reaction I expected.
in the world of mules, there are no rules

LATEST PODCAST EPISODE
https://www.spreaker.com/user/superleaguepod
Second Row

Post by Second Row »

Same old, same old, I am sick of it. After 60yrs supporting the club, and I still do because that is where my loyalty lies, I have never felt so down after a season even relegation did not feel so bad after Thursday.
Wandering Warrior

Post by Wandering Warrior »

Let's hope his hopes are not pipe dreams? Then we'll all be smiling! :D
When John Byrom plays on snow, he doesn't leave any footprints - Jimmy Armfield
jaws1

Post by jaws1 »

After watching RL for 63 years I am bored watching RL in its present form. Watching Wigan at the moment is like watching grass grow. Have SKY sports and cant even watch it on there one hour to save your life on Thursday is more interesting .Debating whether to renew my season ticket next year bored to tears with the rugby on show at Wigan. Never used to miss a match home and away now do not look forward to home games .
Garry Riley

Post by Garry Riley »

jaws1 wrote:After watching RL for 63 years I am bored watching RL in its present form. Watching Wigan at the moment is like watching grass grow. Have SKY sports and cant even watch it on there one hour to save your life on Thursday is more interesting .Debating whether to renew my season ticket next year bored to tears with the rugby on show at Wigan. Never used to miss a match home and away now do not look forward to home games .
That pretty much sums things up for me too. Gave my season ticket to a friend for the Widnes and Catalans game. He gave me it back after one game, said thanks but he's got better things to do and that I should try watching union as its more exciting!
Sound & Vision - TV Audio Video - Sales - Service
Wandering Warrior

That final comment is rather defining re. onion.
I seriously expect us to be sitting fourth on Friday night.
That should shatter SW's delusions.
4 Generations

Post by 4 Generations »

I think we can win on Friday.The manner we do it may not be pritty. I hope im wrong and we play Champagne stuff,but its unlikely with the squad and recent performances.
Take the Sts game,i dont know anybody that could have predicted that score.Most expected a Wigan loss.We basically beet Sts up,had a couple of lucky ish trys and job done.The Widnes game next and we expected in the main to win,we get done with the worst display ive seen for many a year from BOTH SIDES.Frustration is perhaps a gentle explanation of the performance.Again thers been no consistent end product in attack.

12-22 WIGAN WIN

4G
Wandering Warrior

Hope you're right. Wane needs a win or the "yellow" van will be calling at his house to take him to K Ward in Bolton General!
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Apparently nothing to worry about and everybody is over reacting :roll: If you read the Wigan Observer.