Attendance?

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
cpwigan

Attendance?

Post by cpwigan »

I thought Hull after the CC would have packed the place. Worrying for RL as a whole.
shaunedwardsfanclub

Re: Attendance?

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

Sadly it is a dying game!
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

So it seems, I can remember when Hull were relegated then promoted and became very successful and they would pack the Boulevard and travel away in their thousands.
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

11 and a half thousand there about I think it was,football as it has with Wigan has taken over the old rugby towns,the premier league is killing the sport frankly.
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

mickw wrote:
fozzieskem wrote: 11 and a half thousand there about I think it was,football as it has with Wigan has taken over the old rugby towns,the premier league is killing the sport frankly.
not in Wigan or hull
Footballs tentacles has done plenty damage here MIck and Hull as well,add in the fact the sport is in the doldrums isn't helping,but when these skill,for the want of a better word,dips occur league has always managed to come back stronger but this time I'm not so sure.

The sport is in serious trouble and while there is plenty of other pastime to point the finger at football is the main damage doer in my opinion,even in Wigan.
yonmon

Post by yonmon »

Reduce prices and reduce injuries. People want to see the better players playing not sat in the stand. There will of course always be injuries in a high impact sport but anything that can be done to reduce the risks should be looked at as long as it does not take away from the game to much.
5miler

Post by 5miler »

Did you see how empty it was at Langtree park on Thursday night? The attendance given for CC Final was 77000 but the top tier was virtually empty.
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

Action needs to be taken as the game is in deep trouble,ignoring the issue of sparse crowds won't help,the issue of cost has to be a factor,in my callow youth when dinosaurs such as stock,aitkin and Waterman ruled the pop charts I being flush with a few bob would go the football on the Saturday and the rugby on the Sunday I just don't see that happening now as it's just too expensive to watch both sport so you have to choose.

Don't know what the answer is either but if the sport is to survive in this country something has to give.
eccywarrior

Post by eccywarrior »

I think its to do with the sport being run by idiots and the game not being taken seriously. Until they scrap the league structure and go back to if you win league your champions and have relegation then attendances will keep dropping.
IN WANE WE TRUST
Pedro the Exile

Post by Pedro the Exile »

RL had a golden opportunity back in the late 1980's-1990's when we had some world class players and it was a fabulous game to watch.Wembley used to be rammed for the CC (albeit a smaller capacity than the new venue)and International RL was a genuinely exciting prospect -60,00 + at Wembley to watch GB v Australia etc etc.
Unfortunately it didn't seize the moment-in my view it ignored the international competition and is now paying the consequences-and was then faced with a resurgent professional RU and an ever dominant Premier League.
I think its gone past the tipping point and is in a slow decline .Sure,we will get the rip snorting derbies with big crowds but they will be the exception.The international game is playing catch up and lets face it ,the Aussies aren't that bothered as their domestic game is so big.Superleague is losing its best players to NRL and in some instances to RU as the money,opportunity and the exposure are immeasurably greater.
I have a horrible feeling that we've missed the boat and will become an increasingly marginal sport and possibly revert to a form of semi professionalism.It doesn't help when the standard of play is so average a lot of the time.
Its seriously bad when I get more excited about England v australia RU than RL!And yes-on TV Wembley looked about 2/3 rds full-and thats with 2 of the best supported teams in superleague playing.
Lets hope I'm wrong.