Brexit UK vote to leave Europe in historic referendum

Got anything else on your mind that isn't about the Warriors? If you do, this is the place to post.
Wandering Warrior

Re: Brexit UK vote to leave Europe in historic referendum

Post by Wandering Warrior »

I made a glib comment earlier re. Nissan and Landrover. The Nissan plant in Sunderland was due for investment, presumably for new model/model upgrade, this has now been deferred in the short term to see how the tariffs situation in Europe pans out. Furthermore, and one more closer to my heart, Jaguar/Landrover, owned by Tata India, have also stated that they will expect favourable conditions, whatever they may be, after Brexit.
No doubt both will ship out in the long term should the economics not be favourable?!
We live in a global World and whatever adverse happens in 'Little England' there'll be other countries in Europe ready to take up the production and offer the incentives to those Companies, who feel the need to relocate.
On the plus side, plenty Arkwrights could be springing up all over the show as we start 'retro living'.
When John Byrom plays on snow, he doesn't leave any footprints - Jimmy Armfield
Josie's friend

Post by Josie's friend »

Wandering Warrior wrote:I made a glib comment earlier re. Nissan and Landrover. The Nissan plant in Sunderland was due for investment, presumably for new model/model upgrade, this has now been deferred in the short term to see how the tariffs situation in Europe pans out. Furthermore, and one more closer to my heart, Jaguar/Landrover, owned by Tata India, have also stated that they will expect favourable conditions, whatever they may be, after Brexit.
No doubt both will ship out in the long term should the economics not be favourable?!
We live in a global World and whatever adverse happens in 'Little England' there'll be other countries in Europe ready to take up the production and offer the incentives to those Companies, who feel the need to relocate.
On the plus side, plenty Arkwrights could be springing up all over the show as we start 'retro living'.
You mentioned about JLR being close to your heart, I'll take that as you work there, you know what 2020 is and you attended the last town hall. Brexit has changed nothing and Europe isn't our major market since its dominated by the German companies. They are going nowhere, our plant is expanding again to meet demand. Tianjin had more of an impact on JLR then brexit and the insurance will eventually pay out.
i'm spartacus

Post by i'm spartacus »

DaveO wrote:
cpwigan wrote:Time will tell Ted. My opinion is less will do than those that threaten to. I do think the economy will be hit short term but long term we will be better.
And on what do you base that conclusion on?

You seem to be very good at making such statements about life after Brexit but are very short on giving your reasons for these opinions.

Yesterday May gave her biggest indication yet we will go for a "hard brexit" so we can control immigration and not be subject to the laws of the European Court of Justice (not the European Court of Human Rights).
Courts don't make law, in this instance, the ECJ interprets the law made by the unaccountable, unelected EU institutions. The European legal system is based on Roman law and not Common law as in England and Wales, so they are not bound by precedent as we are, which means there is no consistency in their decisions on any given day.
If we do the latter then everything we export to the EU which at the moment is covered by ECJ law won't be and so will be subject to customs inspections and testing. This is nothing to do with Tariffs but actual access to the market without a mountain of red tape to climb.
That just isn't true at all. All EU members have spent years ensuring technical harmonisation and product compliance across the entirety of the EU. Everything we export or import to and from the EU is fully compliant with EU requirements. That won't change because we chose to leave, and in order to maintain compliance, we only need meet any new standards that the EU dictates.

EU compliance would be required from any country exporting goods into the EU. The USA exports goods into the EU yet the USA doesn't answer to the ECJ.
She made a glib comment about we would be able to choose how to label our food. What she doesn't realise is, if we don't label it the same way as the rest of Europe we can't sell produce to the rest of Europe.
Most food produced in this country, is eaten in this country. For example, we have to label fruit grown and eaten in this country kilograms and grams. Anyone who needs to export to Europe can label accordingly, but the majority who don't sell to Europe shouldn't have to stick EU compliant labels on their produce just to sell it on Wigan market.
It is in fact a great example of what "taking back control" is a false promise. If we take back control and immediately start ignoring EU laws and rules governing goods and services we won't be able to sell them into the EU.
Maybe you or one of the other doom mongers can provide a common sense answer to the following.

The stated primary purpose of the EU is to remove trade barriers and promote trade. As stated above, everything we export to the EU is fully EU compliant. The EU exports far more into the UK than we export to them, so the imposition of any tariffs by the EU only means that we will reciprocate, hurting them far more than us.

Why would a union predicated on having no barriers to free trade, want to create major problems to their own businesses through erecting barriers which are entirely at odds with the primary purpose?

i'm spartacus

Post by i'm spartacus »

Wandering Warrior wrote: We live in a global World
Indeed we do, and we've just left a Union of 28 countries to join the other 168.

Political union is not a requirement for trade
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Dave, simple common sense and logic. Of course it will be a hard Brexit did anybody seriously think otherwise? The EU is too big to get everybody to agree and no free movement kills any chance of an easy agreement. As the first to leave, the big fear is the knock on effect if we leave easily, others will follow.

Common sense, the 6th richest country in the world offering a big market for all countries is always going to ve wanted in terms of trade. Poop happens and the BofE and the Govt use what they need to do to recover. No different to when the Banks shafted us all.

Brexit will be ok, JoePublic might take a bufferung early doors as we always do but we always bounce back
Wandering Warrior

Josie's friend wrote:
Wandering Warrior wrote:I made a glib comment earlier re. Nissan and Landrover. The Nissan plant in Sunderland was due for investment, presumably for new model/model upgrade, this has now been deferred in the short term to see how the tariffs situation in Europe pans out. Furthermore, and one more closer to my heart, Jaguar/Landrover, owned by Tata India, have also stated that they will expect favourable conditions, whatever they may be, after Brexit.
Brexit has changed nothing and Europe isn't our major market since its dominated by the German companies. They are going nowhere, our plant is expanding again to meet demand. Tianjin had more of an impact on JLR then brexit.
If you say so, heard the same about British Steel, also owned by Tata in case you didn't know?
I take it you're another Brexit halfwit who hadn't a clue what you voted for?
It's good to see that you all have the business acumen to know what's going to happen, perhaps you can go and help Maggie May, she hasn't got a clue which flipper to hit next!
Wiganer Ted

Post by Wiganer Ted »

We export 44% of our total exports to the EU.
The EU export 8% of it's total exports to us.
We need them as an export market more than they need us.

If we don't agree to open borders we will face being excluded from the single market and customs union. Tariffs will be introduced.
Should tariffs be introduced then many Foreign Companies in the UK have said they will re-locate to the EU.
Other EU countries therefore will benefit from the tariffs and firms re-locating from the UK to them. We will lose jobs they will gain them. They will gain increased production and we will suffer production losses.

The meetings I went to the "Leave" MP's promised departing the EU would mean we could restrict immigration, retain free trade with the EU and not pay any further contributions into Europe.
All they have to do is deliver that and we'll all be happy.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Ted surely you never believe politicians from whatever party.
Wandering Warrior

Wiganer Ted wrote:We export 44% of our total exports to the EU.
The EU export 8% of it's total exports to us.
We need them as an export market more than they need us.

If we don't agree to open borders we will face being excluded from the single market and customs union. Tariffs will be introduced.
Should tariffs be introduced then many Foreign Companies in the UK have said they will re-locate to the EU.
Other EU countries therefore will benefit from the tariffs and firms re-locating from the UK to them. We will lose jobs they will gain them. They will gain increased production and we will suffer production losses.

The meetings I went to the "Leave" MP's promised departing the EU would mean we could restrict immigration, retain free trade with the EU and not pay any further contributions into Europe.
All they have to do is deliver that and we'll all be happy.
As you know Ted, they won't achieve what they have said, and the plebs will take the hit!
As an aside Hammond has said today that hard times are ahead, who believes that?
:wink:
Josie's friend

Post by Josie's friend »

Wandering Warrior wrote:
Josie's friend wrote:
Brexit has changed nothing and Europe isn't our major market since its dominated by the German companies. They are going nowhere, our plant is expanding again to meet demand. Tianjin had more of an impact on JLR then brexit and the insurance will eventually pay out.
If you say so, heard the same about British Steel, also owned by Tata in case you didn't know?
I take it you're another Brexit halfwit who hadn't a clue what you voted for?
It's good to see that you all have the business acumen to know what's going to happen, perhaps you can go and help Maggie May, she hasn't got a clue which flipper to hit next!
I don't say so at all my information came from the JLR town hall meeting, you said JLR was close to your heart so I assumed you knew exactly what you were talking about and not making assumptions. Reverting to insults seems to be a remainer trait.
Before the Brexit vote Unite tried to push its members to vote remain by scaremongering, the management then spoke to us saying to not let anyone tell you how to vote and our jobs are safe.
Misinformation from people like yourself doesn't help anyone