Shaun Wane

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
DaveO

Re: Shaun Wane

Post by DaveO »

fozzieskem wrote: The sport is in the entertainment business and it really needs to remember that,it was refreshing to hear IL saying he didn't think the attack was good enough,that's what I want to hear honesty and as ever with Lenegan you tend to get it.

I still don't know how Wigan won Saturday I don't know and to some extent it hid the issues of earlier in the season but also for me has opened the door to a bright future if the coaching staff and players are brave enough to follow it I hope they do.
Two good points. The club knows what was served up for most of the season wasn't good enough.

I also get it that Wane and the club think this is a great win due to the adversity suffered with injuries but the fact they acknowledge the issues regardless of this is key and why we should expect improvement next season.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

jobo wrote:
DaveO wrote:I hope CPW is right and the club agrees the boring play leading up to the last few weeks is an issue that needs addressing.

There is no doubt there is ample spirit in the side and that manifests itself best in the defence. The stats on that speak for themselves.

That said, the club (and the game as a whole) has to acknowledge that turning up for the last few weeks is not good enough when you expect fans to travel even short distances to attend 30 "preliminary" rounds. It should not have taken that dire game against Widnes to turn things around. There were unfortunately quite a few other games not far off that that should have been motivation to do so.

The injuries didn't help but we played some of the best RL with depleted sides anyway so that doesn't wash.

Is TL the answer as player/coach? That is putting a lot of burden on him before he gets here so I am not sure it is.

Winning the GF has probably guaranteed a lot more season ticket renewals than had we lost but if the route to retaining the trophy next year is the same as this, as in all defence and no attack, then I don't think people will wear it even if we win again.
Lots of the time we had a whole load of the team carrying injuries and playing with those injuries. I'm told at one stage, 17 of the 19 man squad were crocked but still turned out.

This was bound to have a huge impact on the quality of rugby on display.

To dismiss this as "not washing" is just plain daft.

Imo, it's down to the lack of an A team structure, rather than a flaw within the club.
We need at least two, three would be better, junior academy teams. The age groups need to be higher. Some of the lads who played first team RL for us this season haven't played more than 40 academy games! How is that preparation for SL??
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
ragman

Post by ragman »

I'm one of those people who have been saying for two years now that Wane isn't the answer. Consequently, I'm also one of those who needs to hold his hand up and acknowledge the massive achievment this season against all the odds.

However, I still believe that Shaun isn't the full answer. Not for one second can his enthusiasm, grit, loyalty, determination and defensive know-how be questioned. Cut him in half and he's cherry and white all the way through. I just believe that he needs help and support in attacking know-how.

I do want to see someone new at the club in an attacking coaching role (and I don't claim to know who it should be), but I wouldn't want to see Wane leave us either. He is an exceptional head coach, but can't be a one man band.
Barney841

Post by Barney841 »

I'm glad we won the gf of course I am but I agree with other people on here, that we can't play that kind of drivel all season and come good in the last five weeks of the season.
It will come and bite us in the backside in the end, teams will improve and get to know how we play.
No one can question Shaun's passion but it's not all about that, you still need that skill and finishing factor.
I still think how bad super league is though, even though we came good at the end of the season we should of been well out of the top 4 then really. It helped with the other teams not getting the right results. I still think we got abit lucky through out this season.
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

If we as a sport are to be taken seriously then a reserve grade or some such structure has to be put in place,this sort of thing doesn't cost the earth,it's easily put into place,it is just plain wrong to expect a boy to go up against a man yet that is what the RFL expects them to do.

Dual reg is a nonsense it simple doesn't work in its present form it could though if alongside a reserve/under23 grade,these lads have to be given a chance to grow and develop at a steady rate.

It's time the RFL and the clubs spent a few bob it will in the long run work and save them money.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

If Wane left today I would not lose sleep. It was no different when Dorahay left.
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

cpwigan wrote:If Wane left today I would not lose sleep. It was no different when Dorahay left.
If and when that happens I feel I would melancholic rather than sad,and of course it will happen at some point,but the club remains those that pass through as coach and its players of course leave us with happy memories but the club will be always there ready with new people to make more memories,
Longstanding

Post by Longstanding »

Well done Sean and his players.
I'M RENEWING MY SEASON TICKET, I THINK
I'VE SEEN LIGHT AT THE END OF THE TUNNEL.
CAN'T WAIT FOR NEXT SEASON NOW.