A magnificent effort

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
cpwigan

Re: A magnificent effort

Post by cpwigan »

Post of the year :lol: comedic :exc:
Panchitta Marra

Post by Panchitta Marra »

Exiled Wiganer wrote:I have a theory about the Widnes game.
I also follow cycling and there the big guns aim to be in peak condition for 4 week blocks. Prior to which they do heavy training, which will leave them lacking sharpness for a period before the benefits kick in. I wonder whether that was a factor here. It is unarguably the case that we have finished the 4 big games since Widnes much more strongly - scoring, iirc the last 12, 21 (!), 12 and 10 points in those games. That suggests to me that we timed our physical peak to perfection. We did similar in 2013, where but for Flower we would have strolled to victory after a fantastic run of form leading up to it.
In any event, the backlash from the fans - or "critics" as Wane insultingly called us - was so great after that debacle that it clearly focused minds.
And it all turned out nicel!!!
Fitness peaking is a very valid point EW, you just have to ask yourself how many times a top athlete can peak in a 9 month period and I'd suggest they'd struggle to manage it successfully two times.
An athlete can also back off in a period of races that he or she is less interested in winning, whereas in Rugby League you have to continually win to gain the points to achieve a top 4 position.
I remember some posters being quite outspoken regarding Shaun Wane rotating his team in the run up to the 2013 Grand Final after winning the challenge cup that season. I wasn't too fussed about it having trained as an athlete from 8 years of age upto 15 then started playing rugby league. I wasn't a great distance off even time in my prime, but the lad I trained with held the 100m record in Cumbria at the time and for a number of years.
The rotation of players worked for us in 2013, something Hull and Warrington maybe didn't quite get right this season, although I do believe that Hull FC's challenge cup celebrations knocked them back considerably.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

It was bollocks in this case though PM.
Panchitta Marra

cpwigan wrote:It was bollocks in this case though PM.
What was bollocks in this case CP?
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

It had nothing to do with peaking nonsense PM. The competition was/is poor and we got the right players backat the right time whilst the youngsters benefitted from the experience.
Wintergreen

Post by Wintergreen »

cpwigan wrote:Balance in terms of star quality and workhorses is vital IMO and despite being (wrongly IMO)maligned for so called stupidity I really like Gelling as a centre and as an entertainer. In a dull season Gelling keeps you wanting to watch him/Wigan.
Yep. In an interview about his career, Hanley picked out Brian Case as an example of a "machine".

Enough said.
Exiled Wiganer

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

The facts I was reflecting on are 4 wins built on multiple tries in the last 20
minutes. Which suggests greater fitness than the opposition. For a month,
which reminded me of theories in other sports...
i am no more privy to their training patterns than any other fan, but it makes sense of an otherwise puzzling change.
TrueBlueWarrior

Post by TrueBlueWarrior »

We are clearly fitter than all the other sides!
'If you start listening to the fans it won't be long before you're sitting with them.' - Wayne Bennett
Wiganer Ted

Post by Wiganer Ted »

The last four weeks were a magnificent effort.
That Widnes defeat was utterly dreadful and I said in the bar after the game t hat it would be a watershed moment for the club.

The way the team(squad) responded has been outstanding. Beating both Hull and Warrington twice to win the Grand Final was magnificent.
A real turnaround which took us from despair to elation due to the team's efforts and improved results. The manner in which they play improved and were great to watch once again.

That last four weeks made a massive difference and turned around what had been at times a dismal season into a superb ending.
Panchitta Marra

cpwigan wrote:It had nothing to do with peaking nonsense PM. The competition was/is poor and we got the right players backat the right time whilst the youngsters benefitted from the experience.
I'm not saying it was this season CP, not planned anyhow.
I still think key players condition did matter especially on the night and it was by sheer fluke.
Liam Farrell, Dom Crosby and Ben Flower had all previously suffered injuries, with John Bateman suspended from playing.
All 4 were decent performers on Saturday night and all were fit and extremely fresh. My suggestion is that the period of rest massively benefited their condition for the final.
Simms, Hill and even Clarke looked a bit jaded to me, maybe partly resultant from the Challenge cup defeat, but they were ever present just about all season and I would guess not far from burn out, and a total contrast to the Wigan players I've just mentioned.