Relieve Wane ASAP, write the season off ..

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Exiled Wiganer

Re: Relieve Wane ASAP, write the season off ..

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

Tbf a lot was fair comment at the time.
That said, I must say he has pleasantly amazed me.
Looking again at the GF, he effectively went with 6 props to counter their thrust down the middle and just wheeled them on and off all game. Hence they got no momentum and our exceptional outside defence - take a bow Bateman and Farrell - just ate up anything coming their way.
Plus, the way that he has introduced offloads to allow Williams to work his magic in more broken field has made us so much better in attack. We scored more than Warringon in the 8s.
What the end of the season has made me do is reappraise more sympathetically the struggles earlier this year. So I will happily eat some humble pie (not that my portion need be as big as some...)!
TrueBlueWarrior

Post by TrueBlueWarrior »

Exiled Wiganer wrote:Tbf a lot was fair comment at the time.
Looking again at the GF, he effectively went with 6 props to counter their thrust down the middle and just wheeled them on and off all game. Hence they got no momentum and our exceptional outside defence - take a bow Bateman and Farrell - just ate up anything coming their way.
Plus, the way that he has introduced offloads to allow Williams to work his magic in more broken field has made us so much better in attack. We scored more than Warringon in the 8s.
What the end of the season has made me do is reappraise more sympathetically the struggles earlier this year. So I will happily eat some humble pie (not that my portion need be as big as some...)!
good post
'If you start listening to the fans it won't be long before you're sitting with them.' - Wayne Bennett
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Exiled Wiganer wrote:Tbf a lot was fair comment at the time.
So where were these tactics earlier in the season? And in the Challenge Cup?

With hindsight it looks increasingly like that awful loss to Widnes and the reaction was the galvanising factor for change.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

sheepsteeth wrote:Any more comments for this thread?
Mmm I replied not sure what happened to it. I stand by what I said at the time and why should I not. Plenty in Wigan RLFC felt the same were they wrong too.

Of course if being awful for 95% of the season and winning a GF; a GF we could have lost BTW, Atkins bombed 2 tries(to be fair we bombed one too) means you can crawl out the woodwork then fill your boots but do not hide and wait for a crash to happen then run to the scene and say I told you there would be a crash :roll:
Exiled Wiganer

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

That's a deranged response.

As to DaveO's point - Widnes may have been the road to Damascus moment, though that could have been a red herring, if my training theory holds up. We had beaten Saints 25 nil the previous game so the Widnes one is a stark anomaly among the last 7 games.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Not really just reality.
ian.birchall

Post by ian.birchall »

cpwigan wrote:
Mmm I replied not sure what happened to it. I stand by what I said at the time and why should I not. Plenty in Wigan RLFC felt the same were they wrong too.

Of course if being awful for 95% of the season and winning a GF; a GF we could have lost BTW, Atkins bombed 2 tries(to be fair we bombed one too) means you can crawl out the woodwork then fill your boots but do not hide and wait for a crash to happen then run to the scene and say I told you there would be a crash :roll:
Still being obnoxious then CPW?
Regarder une fille en bikini, c'est comme avoir un revolver chargé sur sa table:
Il n'y a rien de mal a ça mais il est difficile de penser à autre chose.

Now Europe is just for holidays.
TrueBlueWarrior

cpwigan wrote:

You change your viewpoints more than people change their underwear!!

Last year when we lost to Leeds there were no excuses, the best team won, any ifs and buts are irrelevant etc. according to you! Now all of a sudden that doesn't exist anymore and we could have lost, Atkins bombed 2 tries (what 2 tries exactly?) etc. because it goes against everything you want to happen to SW!!

Look SW gets things wrong and I wanted him replaced 2 seasons ago but again HE HAS PROVED ME WRONG AND BEING A WIGAN FAN I COULDN'T BE HAPPIER HE HAS! Does he need to improve things, absolutely, but can we not just enjoy the win for a couple of weeks at least?

I think posters are just happy we won and want to enjoy the moment for a while and look at improvements a bit later down the line.

Get off your high horse put your pint of bitter down and just relax, your knowledge is undoubted but your arrogance, ego, agendas etc. is becoming unbearable to be honest and its a shame because I do think you are a great poster most of the time!
'If you start listening to the fans it won't be long before you're sitting with them.' - Wayne Bennett
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

TrueBlueWarrior wrote:
cpwigan wrote:

You change your viewpoints more than people change their underwear!!

Last year when we lost to Leeds there were no excuses, the best team won, any ifs and buts are irrelevant etc. according to you! Now all of a sudden that doesn't exist anymore and we could have lost, Atkins bombed 2 tries (what 2 tries exactly?) etc. because it goes against everything you want to happen to SW!!

Look SW gets things wrong and I wanted him replaced 2 seasons ago but again HE HAS PROVED ME WRONG AND BEING A WIGAN FAN I COULDN'T BE HAPPIER HE HAS! Does he need to improve things, absolutely, but can we not just enjoy the win for a couple of weeks at least?

I think posters are just happy we won and want to enjoy the moment for a while and look at improvements a bit later down the line.

Get off your high horse put your pint of bitter down and just relax, your knowledge is undoubted but your arrogance, ego, agendas etc. is becoming unbearable to be honest and its a shame because I do think you are a great poster most of the time!
Exactly what I think & have said previously.
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
TrueBlueWarrior

God wrote:Dragging this post up,for a better word gloating. The grand final was 50/50 and you happy clappers gambled a win.

What if it went the other way and we didn't win? With the season we have had, what then?

Sat there eating you're prawn sandwiches celebrating shit rugby.

If it wasnt for the negativity from fans and media alike you wouldnt be celebrating anything this season.

If it wasnt for the negativity after the Widnes game with the fans and media putting Wane under pressure at press conferences and in person again you wouldnt be gloating.

The likes of these posts coupled with players like Tomkins goading fans makes me realise that the real fans, the proper fans who demand success are the reason you are celebrating a grand final win.

Without us critical fans the season would have turned into a non event, and you clowns would have lapped it up regardless.

Rant over.
But it didn't God! The last 5 weeks were thrilling, exciting RL that we come to expect, probably because we had some players back and kept a settled side!

I had given up during the season but happy I was wrong, I think we should now look forward to next season.