2017 Squad - Where are the potential problems

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
si_bax

2017 Squad - Where are the potential problems

Post by si_bax »

Looking at what could be our squad next year we really need to invest in a centre and a kicker to play 80 minutes is a must. Also think we need someone that is proficient at loose forward as i am not sure how many games we are going to get from Lockers.

Full Back
Sam Tomkins
Lewis Tierney

Wing
Dom Manfredi
Joe Burgess

Centre
Oliver Gildart
Anthony Gelling

Stand off
George Williams
Jake Shorrocks

Scrum Half
Thomas Leuluai

Prop
Taulima Tautai,
Ryan Sutton,
Romain Navarette
Ben Flower,
Frank-Paul Nu'uausala,
Joe Bretherton

Hooker
Michael McIlorum,
Sam Powell

Second Row
Joel Tomkins,
Willie Isa,
Nick Gregson
Liam Farrell,
John Bateman,

Loose Forward
Sean O'Loughlin

Kicker
??

Most liekly leaving
Dom Crosby
Lee Mossop
Tony Clubb
Ryan Hampshire
South Sydney Warrior

Re: 2017 Squad - Where are the potential problems

Post by South Sydney Warrior »

Seem to have quite some depth in the forwards.

The outside backs, not so much.

Surely Wigan could purchase some out of favour centres from the NRL? Tautau Moga has big wraps but has been injury prone, and apparently Zak Hardaker is either back on his way here or to Leigh? Surely he'd go back to Leeds though...
NeeNawWarrior22

Post by NeeNawWarrior22 »

I think Tierney will be used on the wing for as long as Manfredi is injured.

Cover at FB will come from the signing of Escare if rumours are to be believed..?
Is FB Escare's only position or is he more of a versatile player in the outside backs?
si_bax

Post by si_bax »

NeeNawWarrior22 wrote:I think Tierney will be used on the wing for as long as Manfredi is injured.

Cover at FB will come from the signing of Escare if rumours are to be believed..?
Is FB Escare's only position or is he more of a versatile player in the outside backs?
I agree Tierney will be used at first on the wing but think he will also be used as cover for Sam.

As far as i am aware Escare can play full back and probably wing, cant seem him being able to cover at centre though
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

The problems are FB, wing, centre and goal kicker.

Even if Sam is fit for the start of next season if he is injured we have no cover as Tierney will be on the wing.

Manfredi is out for a while into next season so again if either winger one of whom as I said will be Tierney is injured we have no cover.

We only have two centres so if one is injured it's Bateman out of the pack again. Not ideal.

And we have no goal kicker.

I think these issues are obvious so you would hope the club would sort it out but we went into previous seasons with similar issues in the centres and goal kicker and it didn't address them.
thegimble

Post by thegimble »

Forwards are exceptional.

Halfs worry me a bit with another player returning. But if TL struggles then Powell could see him shift as long at MM is fit.

Kicker is a massive worry and technical in game kicking as well.

We are missing centre cover and a full back to cover if Tierney looks like the only back up.
si_bax

Post by si_bax »

Having just signed Escare it gives us a bit more cover at full back and the wing.

I am not sure about Liam Forsyth, dont think he will help us in the centre and not sure where he will fit in.

my worry is this quote from IL

"Arrivals into the 2017 Squad are now nearing completion"

still need a goal kicker and an out and out centre
AdamMac

Post by AdamMac »

Fantastic squad!

Won't be a better one in SL for depth.

:)
yokozuna

Post by yokozuna »

Goal-kicking still needs to be addressed for me. That's a big issue going into next season at the moment.

That aside, although we're not perfect in every area, we seem to have the depth to cover most scenarios.

Footballers spend 90 minutes pretending they're injured. Rugby League players spend 80 minutes pretending they're not.
No straw damn us

Post by No straw damn us »

George Williams and Lewis Tierney both kicked goals at academy level, Williams kicked along with Ryan Hampshire for England. Delighted to see "Brucie" Forsyth back at Wigan, good cover for wing or centre.