Dom Crosby Leaves Wigan

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
TrueBlueWarrior

Re: Dom Crosby Leaves Wigan

Post by TrueBlueWarrior »

Panchitta Marra wrote:
TrueBlueWarrior wrote:
fozzieskem wrote: I read it as "doing it on the cheap" :lol:
How is it cheap if its the same value?
Two for the price of one can be seen as good business with the right product.
Praise the lord!!
'If you start listening to the fans it won't be long before you're sitting with them.' - Wayne Bennett
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

A "bogoff" at ASDA can be seen as a bargain..till it gives you an upset tummy!! :lol:
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

TrueBlueWarrior wrote:
fozzieskem wrote:
TrueBlueWarrior wrote: What has that got to do with it? We are not talking about the players we are talking about money and what certain phrases actually mean!
Really do like being obtuse dont you?

Two players against one player the two players earning less in all probailty than Croby was earning,i dont know,you dont either.

Its called doing it on the cheap not cost effective,its called asset stripping.
Far too many assumptions there for that to have any real point!
:wink:

We will leave it there :D
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

TrueBlueWarrior wrote:
DaveO wrote:
TrueBlueWarrior wrote: How is it cheap if its the same value?
Value is a rather double edged term here. Money-wise you might get two for the price of one but is either of them as good?

Bottom line is, are we weaker or stronger with Dom gone?

I think, today, the answer is weaker. Wire are stronger. Double self inflicted whammy.

Looking to the future we have lost a 25 year old prop who just had arguably his best season for the team who I'd expect to get better. So for this deal to work we need the two mentioned get as good as Dom and quick.

This isn't like Smith. Smith is 29 and as good as he is going to get. Dom is not yet in his prime, so whatever happened to developing a player and then benefiting as they mature?

This isn't a loyalty thing where I expect the club to stick by a player just because he is from Wigan.

Looks like they screwed up the salary cap.

Maybe if Dom had ridden a BMX bike to work someone else would have go the chop! :wink:

We seem to go into each season with a new team. The sort of continuity Leeds had, we never do and I think that is a pity.

It is not just about success (though I think a big reason for Leeds success was that continuity) but supporters like to support players as well as the team. Youngsters in particularly like to have their heros and if the club ships them out regularly then that shirt with the name on the back doesn't look so good anymore and they might not bother buying another.
Really? A few decent games and a good GF! Where everyone played well? He missed a lot of games!!
So the club sold him and now he's not really that good? Really?

By your measure Clubb should have left with him.

We sold the best prop on the park in the GF to our rivals and replaced him with two untried less experienced players.

We often cry out for experienced players which is why when we signed FPN I was pleased. Now when one of our own starts to edge into the experienced category we undermine this by selling him.

Whether two players for one represents value for money in pure monetary terms is irrelevant. We could probably trade Bateman for four juniors. Would that be value for money?

Are Dom's replacements both going to play at the same time? I doubt it so all we have done is weakened the pack. Whenever Dom would have played we now have to play an untired player.
TrueBlueWarrior

Post by TrueBlueWarrior »

DaveO wrote:
TrueBlueWarrior wrote:
DaveO wrote: Value is a rather double edged term here. Money-wise you might get two for the price of one but is either of them as good?

Bottom line is, are we weaker or stronger with Dom gone?

I think, today, the answer is weaker. Wire are stronger. Double self inflicted whammy.

Looking to the future we have lost a 25 year old prop who just had arguably his best season for the team who I'd expect to get better. So for this deal to work we need the two mentioned get as good as Dom and quick.

This isn't like Smith. Smith is 29 and as good as he is going to get. Dom is not yet in his prime, so whatever happened to developing a player and then benefiting as they mature?

This isn't a loyalty thing where I expect the club to stick by a player just because he is from Wigan.

Looks like they screwed up the salary cap.

Maybe if Dom had ridden a BMX bike to work someone else would have go the chop! :wink:

We seem to go into each season with a new team. The sort of continuity Leeds had, we never do and I think that is a pity.

It is not just about success (though I think a big reason for Leeds success was that continuity) but supporters like to support players as well as the team. Youngsters in particularly like to have their heros and if the club ships them out regularly then that shirt with the name on the back doesn't look so good anymore and they might not bother buying another.
Really? A few decent games and a good GF! Where everyone played well? He missed a lot of games!!
So the club sold him and now he's not really that good? Really?

By your measure Clubb should have left with him.

We sold the best prop on the park in the GF to our rivals and replaced him with two untried less experienced players.

We often cry out for experienced players which is why when we signed FPN I was pleased. Now when one of our own starts to edge into the experienced category we undermine this by selling him.

Whether two players for one represents value for money in pure monetary terms is irrelevant. We could probably trade Bateman for four juniors. Would that be value for money?

Are Dom's replacements both going to play at the same time? I doubt it so all we have done is weakened the pack. Whenever Dom would have played we now have to play an untired player.
I have never thought he was 'that good', nothing to do with the club selling him!! He had a cracking Gf game but who didn't? You could count on one hand the amount of real top quality games he has had when our backs have been against the wall and he drags us out of the s***!!

As much as you are trying to make out that I think he is not that good because we are selling him, equally you are making out he is better than what he actually is, are you not?

What has Tony Clubb got to do with it?

By the way when all our props are fit, Dom would at best be 4th choice, probably 5th!!
'If you start listening to the fans it won't be long before you're sitting with them.' - Wayne Bennett
boggart

Post by boggart »

It makes me smile, all the folk nodding sagely, agreeing with Mr.L's business acumen, saying 'that's what we business-types have to do',whilst struggling man-, or woman-fully with his arithmetic. Who knows, you may be a Mr.L yourself one day, and not only in your dreams. The comment about Dom Crosby being greedy, implying he did this to himself, isn't worth the time required to reply to it, although it does pose some questions about the attitudes and basic meanness of spirit out there. As a fan, with no pretensions to business super-stardom, I think we've lost an honest, hard-working young prop, already more than holding his own, and with the potential to get better, perhaps by developing a ball-playing game to go with his effort(there's me missing Lee Crookes again). Not the flashiest, but I never saw him shirk it when things got difficult. Warrington have gained the same, Tony Smith is no fool. I expect some of you hard-nosed ones out there who live 'in the real world etc' will disagree, but Mr.L didn't make his millions from being a charity. Equally, some of the more exploitative imports excepted, I find it hard to blame a player who's career, short anyway, could end with each game, or even in training these days, for making what he can, financially, while he can. If you're jealous of the lad you went to school with making 20 times as much as you do, I'm afraid you'll have to put up with it, but don't blame the player himself. Mr.L shouldn't be to affronted when the business practices he applies as just good business, are applied to him, and neither should you. Any road up, letting Dom Crosby go, stupid.
Wiganer Ted

Post by Wiganer Ted »

A prop list of FPN, Flower, Clubb, TT, Sutton, Bretherton and Navarette seems very strong. Joel might be in there too.
The signing of FPN has strengthened the front row massively but he will have come at a cost. Probably a very high cost.
FPN could well be one of the best props in SL next season.
I'm very happy with the squad for 2017 as it's looking now.
old hooker

Post by old hooker »

TWO EYED WARRIOR wrote:Am i right in assuming that Dom Crosby came through the ranks of the club?

In this case what about some of the salary allowance for Crosby under the SC regulations ?

I know dates and Doms Dual reg and Loan to Widnes may have come into play in affecting his worth as a player but nevertheless the lad is home grown and surely has some worth to the club in terms of exemption ?

We also have the fact that we are letting go a prop who is 86 games under his belt and is harderned prop for one so young

Yet we now have 2 players with a total 37 games between them both so i am baffled how, on the field, we are better off

In my opinion we are not better off.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

TrueBlueWarrior wrote: I have never thought he was 'that good', nothing to do with the club selling him!! He had a cracking Gf game but who didn't? You could count on one hand the amount of real top quality games he has had when our backs have been against the wall and he drags us out of the s***!!

As much as you are trying to make out that I think he is not that good because we are selling him, equally you are making out he is better than what he actually is, are you not?

What has Tony Clubb got to do with it?

By the way when all our props are fit, Dom would at best be 4th choice, probably 5th!!
He got picked regularly and I see no reason to expect your first choice props to go uninjured. Circumstance has proved so called reserve props get plenty of games. What is going to be different next season?

I think fans views of pecking orders don't always tally with Wane's nor take into account improvement and form v other players. What Clubb had to do with it is you said Crosby had missed a lot of games. Well so has Clubb and there is a question mark over his long term fitness so if Crosby's injury record is an issue worthy of letting him go we have several players in front of him.

DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Wiganer Ted wrote:A prop list of FPN, Flower, Clubb, TT, Sutton, Bretherton and Navarette seems very strong. Joel might be in there too.
A prop list of FPN, Flower, Clubb, TT, Crosby and Sutton is stronger and more the the point has PROVED it so why break that up? With Clubb injured and Flower suspended Crosby and Sutton proved up to the task when required. Those six over the season took us to the GF and a win.

Bretherton and Navarette are young players who are only being mentioned because they were in the press release as IL tries to soften the blow.

Can't see how anyone can conclude we are not weaker. Would we have won the GF with Bretherton instead of Crosby? I doubt it and Bretherton wasn't picked before him.

I'd have less issue with this if the club had signed Navarette (or Bretherton) on a new mega deal because they thought he was destined to be the best prop on the planet, had offered him a shed load to sign for five years and were about to build the pack around wither but it doesn't read like that to me. Reads more like salary cap mismanagement.