2021 World Cup

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
AndyNick

2021 World Cup

Post by AndyNick »

World cup to be held in England in 2021, Whilst i'm happy in the fact that the games will once again be on our doorstep, I can't help but think we've missed a golden opportunity to showcase our game across the pond.

Since being awarded the 2019 Rugby Union World cup, Japan has gone Rugby mad and this would have been a prime opportunity for League to do something similar. Perhaps it's come a few years too soon, We've got Toronto competing in the Championship 1 next season so after seeing how they get on, maybe look to go there for a future edition.

Hopefully this time the RFL won't waste the opportunity to ride the crest of the wave the 2013 edition created.
jasonnlouise

Re: 2021 World Cup

Post by jasonnlouise »

They are considering a joint USA / Canada bid for 2025 hopefully Toronto Wolf pack will be a success by then,but I do agree Rugby League in general seem to be afraid to push it's boundaries the Americans love contact sports maybe some of our teams could have gone over like the NFL teams do over here to give it a boost
Josie's friend

Post by Josie's friend »

Why is it a wasted opportunity? For a start we get to see our own sport, secondly no one would go and watch it. If they can't even drum up enough support in London what chance does the US have.
Imo unless we turn in to the NRL North (or whatever that was called) the sport is in danger of returning to amateur status. The RFL sat back after the successful 2013 World Cup and removed funding from almost all local RL schemes.
If that opportunity to go to union comes up again I really think we'd take it along with saints, wire and Leeds doing some sort of merge with Leeds RU.
England vs France on the red button shows how big our sport is
AndyNick

Post by AndyNick »

Why would nobody go an watch it? Marketed properly with a good ticketing strategy then it would have every chance. A couple of posters and $60 a ticket then you're right nobody would go. I'd certainly go over for it.

People keep on about looking to expand the game but then we keep it exclusively in 3 countries. We've even seen it with the 4 Nations. People upset because the RFL has taken games away from the M62 corridor.

Like I said in my original post, I think 2021 has come too early to look to take it to the States but come 2025, particularly if the Wolfpack go well in the next couple of years then it has to be seriously looked into. The Potential snag is it is Australia's turn and I can't see them giving that up.

The simple fact is that the 2013 Competition was a big success. The whole country was talking about Rugby League, and rather than use that to launch the game to the next level, the RFL sat back and watched the hype die down. They did a rubbish sponsorship deal with a bit part energy company and once again Rugby League finds itself confined to the Red Button, Premier sports and a small side column in the papers. The 4 Nations will come and go, and no-one outside of the Rugby leauge community will bat an eyelid.
Josie's friend

Post by Josie's friend »

This is the thing "if marketed properly" outside Australia marketing is shockingly bad.

They've been given £15m by the government and £10m for local development (without looking in to it I bet a massive chunk goes to the south). So £25m funding in total to host a World Cup & development. Wouldn't even buy Benteke

Now we have 4 years to raise the cap to keep our star players and capture quality foreigners, help fund local clubs which keep kids of the street and teach them valuable life lessons. Renegotiate with sky to be more beneficial and promote the game, if not Premier sports which while would bring in less income initially would be promoted in the way it deserves. Our own footy show promoting players in their own right and not just another name on the team sheet.
We have a fantastic sport that could be massive again as long as the people running it show ambition.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Josie's friend wrote:This is the thing "if marketed properly" outside Australia marketing is shockingly bad.

They've been given £15m by the government and £10m for local development (without looking in to it I bet a massive chunk goes to the south). So £25m funding in total to host a World Cup & development. Wouldn't even buy Benteke

Now we have 4 years to raise the cap to keep our star players and capture quality foreigners, help fund local clubs which keep kids of the street and teach them valuable life lessons. Renegotiate with sky to be more beneficial and promote the game, if not Premier sports which while would bring in less income initially would be promoted in the way it deserves. Our own footy show promoting players in their own right and not just another name on the team sheet.
We have a fantastic sport that could be massive again as long as the people running it show ambition.
Good post. The RFL just sit back in Red Hall & do sweet FA!!!
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

Josie's friend wrote:This is the thing "if marketed properly" outside Australia marketing is shockingly bad.

Ambition = keeping all funding in the heartlands?
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐