I know it's easy to moan about the standard of RL thesedays but..

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
DaveO

Re: I know it's easy to moan about the standard of RL...

Post by DaveO »

When people say defences are on top these days so tries like some of these will never be scored I think it is worth asking why.

I don't think it is just because coaches are smarter and players fitter. It is also rule changes down the years as well.

The 10m rule is a big one. While in theory this should give the attack more space they still have to cover the ground and it lets the defence slide better. Playing off 5m also meant more chips and guile so you had to be more creative to get past the defence.

The interchange rule also means teams do not tire as quickly and can also put on better tacklers. Look what we did in the GF replacing two props with better defensive ones. Fewer interchanges would make that harder to do.

Ball steeking is another. While that should be an advantage to the defence it also turned defence into attack and made the tackle less predictable.

I am sure there must be other rule changes that have subtly altered the balance.

One of the big complaints we have had this past season is a lack of imagination on attack in the last 20m. We are very predictable but how much of that is poor play v just not much option?
Bilko

Post by Bilko »

moto748 wrote:
Bilko wrote:Funnily enough, Inga's debut from 1994 is my Wigan TV Retro pick tomorrow.

Bradford cup semi from 92 (a pick for later in the month) is mesmerising quality.
Great work, thanks! I watched that Salford Lancashire Cup game the other night. Terrific stuff. That little Aussie half-back Salford had looked some player, didn't he?
Most sides seemed to have a decent and dangerous half back 20 odd years ago. These days you struggle to find any. I think the difference personally is fitness and the amount of subs now makes half back play so much harder with less tiring forwards.

If you like the Wigan TV stuff watch out for "12 Derbies of Christmas" coming up in December! Got a range of matches v Saints including one from 1982!!
Bilko

Post by Bilko »

PS hadn't seen DaveO's reply when I posted but I basically feel the same.
Wintergreen

Post by Wintergreen »

Bilko wrote:Funnily enough, Inga's debut from 1994 is my Wigan TV Retro pick tomorrow.

Bradford cup semi from 92 (a pick for later in the month) is mesmerising quality.
Is that the one where they told him to stay on the wing?

And he did.........

lol

So funny, he was miles away from the action.........but he was on the wing..........