Leeds say James Segeyaro will not be allowed to leave

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
josie andrews

Leeds say James Segeyaro will not be allowed to leave

Post by josie andrews »

Leeds chief executive Gary Hetherington has told James Segeyaro he will not be granted an early release from his contract - and says the club are now battling for the "integrity of the sport."

The 26-year-old made a big impact at the Rhinos after joining them, initially on loan, from Australian club Penrith in July, helping them win nine of their last 10 matches of the season to comfortably retain their Super League status.

Segeyaro officially took up a two-year contract in September, removing a get-out clause at the same time, but has stated his desire to remain in Australia, where he is enjoying an extended off-season break.

"I wouldn't say I was pressured into taking up an option to re-sign with Leeds, but I certainly didn't have the support network I lean on when I make key life decisions," Segeyaro was quoted as saying in The Sunday Telegraph in Australia.

"I told them I can't make the decision to take up the option without sitting down with my family.

"But we had a deadline and I had to make a decision. That's what I've explained to Gary throughout this period.

"I want to get on with my life and unfortunately that doesn't include going back to the UK. I just can't do it."

But Hetherington has reiterated the club's stance that Segeyaro, who has been heavily linked with a move to NRL champions Cronulla, is not for sale.

"The comments attributed to James have obviously come as a big disappointment and a surprise following my meeting with him and his manager Sam Ayoub last Wednesday," said Hetherington.

"When speculation first broke regarding Cronulla and their interest in James, I alerted both the RFL and NRL chief executives to the issue and the NRL confirmed a player cannot be registered with an NRL club whilst his registration sits with a Super League club, and in James' case he is registered with us and the RFL until the end of 2018.

"Interest in him from other NRL clubs has been reported but they know he is not for sale. However, I have no doubt this has become a key issue.

"The integrity of our game is now on the line and I hope to have further discussions with senior officials from the RFL and NRL at the earliest opportunity."

http://www.skysports.com/rugby-league/n ... d-to-leave
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
FWarrior

Re: Leeds say James Segeyaro will not be allowed to leave

Post by FWarrior »

Can players really be prevented from leaving if they want to? Sam Tomkins left the NRL, Sam Burgess left rugby union.
shaunedwardsfanclub

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

They can but I don't see any club making a player sit in the stand to see out his contract. Leeds are after a transfer fee in my view, that would be a win win given that they will pick a nice chunk of money for Hardaker.
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

He made the difference to Leeds that much was clear but you can't keep a player who doesn't want to play for you so yes I'd agree Leeds are after a fee for him
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

contracts are literally becoming transfer fee assurance now
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Wigan_forever19​85​ wrote:contracts are literally becoming transfer fee assurance now
And that's all they are :(
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

shaunedwardsfan​club​ wrote:They can but I don't see any club making a player sit in the stand to see out his contract. Leeds are after a transfer fee in my view, that would be a win win given that they will pick a nice chunk of money for Hardaker.
If Leeds were just afer a fee, why not say he can join Cronulla if they make a suitable offer? Why all the fuss?

I think Leeds are making a bit of a stand here. If players can be signed by other clubs and just walk away from a contract (fee paid or not) then this is as unfair on clubs as the situation was for players pre-Bosman.
AndyNick

Post by AndyNick »

Not often I agree with Uncle Gary but he's bang on the money here.

Segayaro has signed a legally binding contract to play for Leeds Rhinos and they are well within their rights to hold him to it. Similar to Sandow with Wire.

This is becoming an issue and needs nipped in the bud now before it escalates further. Players need to be shown that they can't just swan off to the other side of the world and everything will be fine we'll just cancel the legally binding document and let you go your own way. No actually if you want to sign for another club then they are going to have to play the asking price, or you can rot on the sideline til your current deal is up.

We were paid a sizeable transfer fee for Sam, and he went the right way about getting out of New Zealand. He didn't just fly home for the summer and no go back like both Segayaro and Sandow have done.

I hope that Leeds and Wire Stick to their guns on these and if it means that the players end up sat doing nothing for a season then I couldn't have less sympathy for them.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

AndyNick wrote:Not often I agree with Uncle Gary but he's bang on the money here.

Segayaro has signed a legally binding contract to play for Leeds Rhinos and they are well within their rights to hold him to it. Similar to Sandow with Wire.

This is becoming an issue and needs nipped in the bud now before it escalates further. Players need to be shown that they can't just swan off to the other side of the world and everything will be fine we'll just cancel the legally binding document and let you go your own way. No actually if you want to sign for another club then they are going to have to play the asking price, or you can rot on the sideline til your current deal is up.

We were paid a sizeable transfer fee for Sam, and he went the right way about getting out of New Zealand. He didn't just fly home for the summer and no go back like both Segayaro and Sandow have done.

I hope that Leeds and Wire Stick to their guns on these and if it means that the players end up sat doing nothing for a season then I couldn't have less sympathy for them.
Totally agree. As the players will be in breach of contract by not turning up they ought not to be being paid either. So we need the RFL to make sure a clubs salary cap is not affected by any of these players "wages", even though they are still registered to the clubs.

If they did this it would make the clubs position stronger. They would not feel so compelled to get a player off their books.
thegimble

Post by thegimble »

DaveO wrote:
shaunedwardsfan​club​ wrote:They can but I don't see any club making a player sit in the stand to see out his contract. Leeds are after a transfer fee in my view, that would be a win win given that they will pick a nice chunk of money for Hardaker.
If Leeds were just afer a fee, why not say he can join Cronulla if they make a suitable offer? Why all the fuss?

I think Leeds are making a bit of a stand here. If players can be signed by other clubs and just walk away from a contract (fee paid or not) then this is as unfair on clubs as the situation was for players pre-Bosman.
Not sure bit does the fee go on the cap as well in the NRL.