A W O L

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
dontshootthemessenger

Re: A W O L

Post by dontshootthemessenger »

and presumably , if diamonds logic is upheld , players can retire from union and sign for league ?
Panchitta Marra

Post by Panchitta Marra »

dontshootthemes​senger​ wrote:and presumably , if diamonds logic is upheld , players can retire from union and sign for league ?
They could, but would they want the wage reduction in doing so?
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

If upheld it could see an exodus of top league players because union sides can get away without paying fees which makes getting top players simply about wages
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
billyc38

Post by billyc38 »

Didnt the bunnies pay a massive fee to Bath to bring slammin sam back to league
Nezza Faz

Post by Nezza Faz »

billyc38 wrote:Didnt the bunnies pay a massive fee to Bath to bring slammin sam back to league
Yeah Billy, I think you're right and £300,000 (or Dollars ?) rings a bell.

I'd imagine Diamond has been playing the "wild card" with this "retirement from League" thing, after all what would happen to him (or any player) if he later wanted to return to rugby league, as a good few already have done, in both the Uk and Australia ?

Be interesting to see what the legal implications of this would be - any lawyers on here ?
Panchitta Marra

Post by Panchitta Marra »

Nezza Faz wrote:
billyc38 wrote:Didnt the bunnies pay a massive fee to Bath to bring slammin sam back to league

I'd imagine Diamond has been playing the "wild card" with this "retirement from League" thing, after all what would happen to him (or any player) if he later wanted to return to rugby league, as a good few already have done, in both the Uk and Australia ?

Be interesting to see what the legal implications of this would be - any lawyers on here ?
Maybe the NRL weren't quick enough on the uptake to suggest Sam was retiring from Yawnion.
The two Aussies going to American football probably won't be questioned as it's a totally different sport, but so is Yawnion to league. I see this scenario as difficult to defend against and maybe players contracts have to be now directed towards protection against retirement and reinstatement into another sport. Where I work, to move between contractors there is a period where the employee has to be away from site for a number of weeks before he/she can restart for another company. This is just a simple control to try and deflect moves and maybe the RFL has to look at secure player contract option wording.
Nezza Faz

Post by Nezza Faz »

Panchitta Marra wrote:
Nezza Faz wrote:

Maybe the NRL weren't quick enough on the uptake to suggest Sam was retiring from Yawnion.
The two Aussies going to American football probably won't be questioned as it's a totally different sport, but so is Yawnion to league. I see this scenario as difficult to defend against and maybe players contracts have to be now directed towards protection against retirement and reinstatement into another sport. Where I work, to move between contractors there is a period where the employee has to be away from site for a number of weeks before he/she can restart for another company. This is just a simple control to try and deflect moves and maybe the RFL has to look at secure player contract option wording.

Whichever way it's looked upon, as a non legal person, I'd say it's a fundamental breach of Employment Law. To make it up that you want to retire, any good Barrister will put it if that's what you wanted, you should only have signed a ONE YEAR contract.

I don't think the Courts would look favourably upon those inducing others to break their contract of employment either, whether retirement from the sport is an issue, or not. And most likely, NOT, because the contract is with the Club (Cas in this case), and NOT the sport.
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
thegimble

Post by thegimble »

Panchitta Marra wrote:
dontshootthemes​senger​ wrote:and presumably , if diamonds logic is upheld , players can retire from union and sign for league ?
They could, but would they want the wage reduction in doing so?
Not if the cap gets increased which could be the real end issue of this. As bad as this sounds the RFL has to react and only conclusion is to get rid of the cap and let some of the League clubs go after union players.

If a player breaks his contract he can be sued. A real precedence was set this week with Tony Pulis. Going to cost him 5 million. Imagine if Cas did the same so Solomona and he had to pay 500k (just a comparison and guess) of his own money he would be broke for life.
Shaun1967

Post by Shaun1967 »

If Sale get away with this, the RFL should offer Josh Charnley a huge bung to 'retire' from Rugby Union to get him back into our game.
“Usually the fans that abuse players like Sam have never done anything of any note themselves. They’re nobodies, whose greatest claim to fame is abusing someone who has, and these so-called ‘Eddie the Experts’ pretend to their mates that they have."

WALLY LEWIS