'Electric' Escare will deliver the thrills

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Southern Softy

Re: 'Electric' Escare will deliver the thrills

Post by Southern Softy »

Can we all calm down a bit please? Escare attacking is a fabulous sight - Escare defending is hide behind the sofa time. He was left out at Cats last season for that reason. I hope that he has been having long sessions with the defensive coaching team, which might help him make the transition from flashy but erratic to a serious Wigan player.
FWarrior

Post by FWarrior »

You cannot coach electric speed! you can coach defence.
Wandering Warrior

Post by Wandering Warrior »

Southern Softy wrote:Can we all calm down a bit please? Escare attacking is a fabulous sight - Escare defending is hide behind the sofa time. He was left out at Cats last season for that reason. I hope that he has been having long sessions with the defensive coaching team, which might help him make the transition from flashy but erratic to a serious Wigan player.
I don't see as people are particularly going over the top, there is just expectation re. his speed!
When John Byrom plays on snow, he doesn't leave any footprints - Jimmy Armfield
Southern Softy

Post by Southern Softy »

FWarrior wrote:You cannot coach electric speed! you can coach defence.
Agreed but Catalans didn't seem to be able to do it. I hope our guys can. Ainscough had electric speed but it didn't work out. Warrington seem to have done it with Kevin Penney to a degree so it's not impossible.
Otherwise, another player who goes 'walkabout' when supposed to be defending wouldn't help.
moto748

Post by moto748 »

Well, plenty of us were saying (me included) that Lewis Tierney was too lightweight and not a strong enough defender, but look how he'd improved by the end of the season! So I don't see why we can't do the same with Escaré. Wouldn't read too much into Cats not seeming to be able to bring him on, they aren't Wigan, are they?
FWarrior

Post by FWarrior »

SS, Catalans became a disaster zone last season. Far more going on off the field than ever reported which is why several stars were let go and better people brought in to replace them for 2017. Wigan is a far better environment for any RL players.
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

moto748 wrote:Well, plenty of us were saying (me included) that Lewis Tierney was too lightweight and not a strong enough defender, but look how he'd improved by the end of the season! So I don't see why we can't do the same with Escaré. Wouldn't read too much into Cats not seeming to be able to bring him on, they aren't Wigan, are they?
I have a soft spot for young Lewis,always hard having a famous dad i dont think he's a full back but a more than useful addition on the wing with that pace of his.
moto748

Post by moto748 »

You're right about that: look at Mitchell Pearce; a fine half-back by any sane standards, but still gets slagged off by Aussie fans for 'not being as good as his Dad'.
Woody1989

Post by Woody1989 »

If there's one thing Shaun Wane and his coaching staff are good at, it's setting up a defence. If anyone can teach Escare how to defend properly, it's them.
TrueBlueWarrior

Post by TrueBlueWarrior »

Southern Softy wrote:
FWarrior wrote:You cannot coach electric speed! you can coach defence.
Agreed but Catalans didn't seem to be able to do it. I hope our guys can. Ainscough had electric speed but it didn't work out. Warrington seem to have done it with Kevin Penney to a degree so it's not impossible.
Otherwise, another player who goes 'walkabout' when supposed to be defending wouldn't help.
For all his faults as a coach, coaching defending isn't one of them that can be thrown at SW, so I think he can improve Escare defensively!!
'If you start listening to the fans it won't be long before you're sitting with them.' - Wayne Bennett