Looks like Sam Powell as starting hooker this season

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Caboosegg

Re: Looks like Sam Powell as starting hooker this season

Post by Caboosegg »

Wormburner wrote:could somebody who knows about stats maybe post a list featuring MM, SP, Roby and 2 or 3 other current SL Hookers, then maybe that would end the argument :)
really would it? due to injury we can't compare last season and if we go of 2015 you could argue the SP hadnt developed enough to compare.

but

MM 2015 stats (when he played split with SP)

Tries:2
Tries assist:6
Tackle:688
Metres Made:1243
AG:5.84

SP 2015

Tries:1
Tries assist:2
Tackle:422
Metres Made:446
AG:4.29

SP 2016 (when he played alot more than MM the year before)

Tries:6
Tries assist:3
Tackle:1120
Metres Made:515
AG:4.67
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
Wormburner

Post by Wormburner »

Caboosegg wrote:
Wormburner wrote:could somebody who knows about stats maybe post a list featuring MM, SP, Roby and 2 or 3 other current SL Hookers, then maybe that would end the argument :)
really would it? due to injury we can't compare last season and if we go of 2015 you could argue the SP hadnt developed enough to compare.

but

SP 2015

maybe overall career would be better
Let's is a contraction of “let us.” You use it to make suggestions about what you and someone else should do. Let's is NOT a promise
Peet_1987

Post by Peet_1987 »

Wormburner wrote:
Caboosegg wrote:

but

SP 2015

maybe overall career would be better
from the 2016 stats it looks like SP did most of our packs tackling (which is probs true) and he played more minutes than he may normally would. This could impact on his running game and looking at 2016 stats it did, this in my opinion is his best atribute - he is a great impact number 9 rather than a starting one.
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

Peet_1987 wrote: from the 2016 stats it looks like SP did most of our packs tackling (which is probs true) and he played more minutes than he may normally would. This could impact on his running game and looking at 2016 stats it did, this in my opinion is his best atribute - he is a great impact number 9 rather than a starting one.

this is were stats fail though, SP was in the main a 80 min hooker in 2016,

both were 40 min hookers in 2015, that would suggest to me that is MM played 80 he would have better stats than SP, but again you can't prove that.

lots of people had issues with SP last season and he certainly earned his strips but i don't understand this sudden MM isnt worthy to tie his shoe laces approach,

they are both different style hookers, my preference is MM but i can see having both as the Boon it is
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
ian.birchall

Post by ian.birchall »

But for me last season proved that one hooker, whoever it is, can play 80 minutes which frees up an interchange spot, come back Nicky Kiss or even Bill Sayer.
Regarder une fille en bikini, c'est comme avoir un revolver chargé sur sa table:
Il n'y a rien de mal a ça mais il est difficile de penser à autre chose.

Now Europe is just for holidays.
Panchitta Marra

Post by Panchitta Marra »

shaunedwardsfan​club​ wrote:
FWarrior wrote:
Wandering Warrior wrote: And me.
+3
Add my name to that list. Although I think it is only right that Micky has to oust Sam.
I fully agree with that too SEFC, it's Sam Powell's position for me based on last season.
I don't think Mac will back down unless his injury forces him to.
Wandering Warrior

Post by Wandering Warrior »

ian.birchall wrote:But for me last season proved that one hooker, whoever it is, can play 80 minutes which frees up an interchange spot, come back Nicky Kiss or even Bill Sayer.
Are you serious?
Sayer was 50 years ago and Kiss 30.
That was then, we are talking now! Get real for God's sake.
Generally top clubs have interchange at hooker.
When John Byrom plays on snow, he doesn't leave any footprints - Jimmy Armfield
wall_of_voodoo

Post by wall_of_voodoo »

Wandering Warrior wrote:
ian.birchall wrote:But for me last season proved that one hooker, whoever it is, can play 80 minutes which frees up an interchange spot, come back Nicky Kiss or even Bill Sayer.

Generally top clubs have interchange at hooker.
Ok you claim so back that up!

Name all the teams who regularly use one of their bench spots for a dedicated hooking replacement?

I remember reading a book with comments from Ricky Stuart, during an ashes series the then coach was seriously considering dropping Gary Schofield from the team. The Aussies WANTED him to play, knew his weaknesses. So they made big media noises about " how good Schoefield was" and "the Aussies would never consider dropping him". He played and the result was what the Aussies wanted

Does everyone understand the allegory here? Just because two ex players with links at rival clubs claim MM should play, do you not wonder why they would say that? More to the point what their currents clubs must think of them wanting to face such a "legend" on the behest of Morley and co

Don't get me wrong. I want MM to play, but not walk into the side as though last year never happened and we as a team need to start considering his 20 minute by the clock stint every match again
I'm a better fan than you
Because I don't "Boo"!!!

Yes I bloody know transfer fees do not count on the salary cap for those illiterates that need it explaining to them because they assume everyone is as thick as they are :roll:
FWarrior

Post by FWarrior »

Warrington, Leeds
Wandering Warrior

Post by Wandering Warrior »

And Hull.
When John Byrom plays on snow, he doesn't leave any footprints - Jimmy Armfield