10 Years for IL

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Wiganer Ted

Re: 10 Years for IL

Post by Wiganer Ted »

IL has done an excellent job.
The whole club is unrecognisable from the days of Whelan's ownership and Mo running the place.
He talks about the expectation of trophies or the very least reaching Finals. That they have achieved.
That expectation has now transferred to us fans who have come to expect the same.
robbobillinge

Post by robbobillinge »

Can I add my positive comments re the IL interview. At a time when, as Bilko observed on Twitter, 9 Superleague Clubs do not have a reserve team, the RFL starts blathering on about centrally funded contracts. If IL and like minded owners can enable change at the top it would be his (or their) greatest legacy.
Bilko

Post by Bilko »

You see they don't even need reserves as such. Put Under 19s up to 20s again with 3x over age allowed per matchday. It worked well I thought. No added cost. Then make Under 16s up to Under 17s.
jobo

Post by jobo »

IL has directed the club well. There are one or two things worth a gripe but overall think he's been 9/10.

As for reserves, can't for the life of me understand why we can't go back to the old system of Colts, B and A teams. They don't all have to be full time pro's.
FWarrior

Post by FWarrior »

Unfortunately Jobo youngsters signing for those age groups cost far more than now and most were as you say part time. Changing the age categories or loan/even creating a reserve team in C! would be better solutions.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

jobo wrote:IL has directed the club well. There are one or two things worth a gripe but overall think he's been 9/10.

As for reserves, can't for the life of me understand why we can't go back to the old system of Colts, B and A teams. They don't all have to be full time pro's.
I agree on both points.

IL drops 1 mark from 10/10 for me due to the silly PR exercises he has indulged in when players have been lured away for big bucks and the fact he seems desperate to re-sign them if things don't work out for them to prove a point - so maybe 8/10 after all :wink:

I am not sure what the solution is but the lack of a reserve grade has hampered RL for years, ever since Hetherington managed to get the old A teams scrapped. Dimwit.
NICKYKISS

Post by NICKYKISS »

Over the years he's been in charge we talk about how good Maguire had been or debate the job Wane is doing, we talk about how important certain players have been to us but ultimately without Lenagan none of the success we've had would have been possible. The club was in a poor place and he's grabbed hold of it from top to bottom and turned it back in to a club we can all be very proud of.

He doesn't get everything right and sometimes he takes some flak but to me he's a Wigan legend in his own right. Here's to another ten years.