Cronulla game - Has the novelty worn off???

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
NICKYKISS

Re: Cronulla game - Has the novelty worn off???

Post by NICKYKISS »

I noticed today that all sections of the West, East and South stands that weren't already have gone from Green (good availability) to amber (limited availability). There's still plenty of tickets in all areas but it looks like the sales are ramping up now.
AndyNick

Post by AndyNick »

I know that there will be a 20k+ crowd there, My point was that at this stage last year there seemed to be a lot more hype and build up to it where as this year its been very quiet. There hasn't been the RFL pushing it, trying to get fans of all clubs involved.

Last year I was getting emails, texts, seeing social media posts all advertising the games at St Helens and Leeds as well as our own. This year I haven't seen a single advert for Wire's game and other than our own media channels nothing for our game.

Nezza Faz

Post by Nezza Faz »

More difficult for the RFL to fully publicise the WCS because they've arranged a full fixture list for all the Championship clubs on the same day.

Needless to say, those clubs would be none too happy to see the RFL attempt to positively smuggle their fans away from supporting their own home town club, whist at the same time putting their cash into the pockets of a SL club ?

I would think that interest and media support will increase considerably with the kick off to the new season, and that a full house will get there for this iconic, one-off game.

AdamMac

Post by AdamMac »

Should be close to a sell out you would of thought!

Excellent
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

I'm sure it'll be a good crowd in the end,but i must admit last year there seemed more urgency around the game,maybe its just me though.

I think cost has played a factor in it as well but now the date is edging ever closer it does seem to have picked very nicely.
shaunedwardsfanclub

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

Good news, heading for a full house. Let's hope we can put a show on.
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
stevethegas

Post by stevethegas »

Two years back in the first of the expanded series, it was only the Wigan game that produced any real opposition to the Aussies. But last year was a real disappointment, and of course we haven't seen Micky Mac since.

But over the past 2 closed seasons we seem to have lost good players to other clubs and sports, and have always wondered how we'd fare in the league. But I must say this year it feels more the other way round.

Against Salford lass tweak, with the game apparently won by half time, it's hard to keep the intensity with the WCC coming up.

So all in all, I believe we'll get a competitive game. We need one for the league's street cred.

The question posed in the title of this blog is has the novelty worn off. Well, as someone who really was at the Manly game, the answer is most definitely NOT.

Can't wait. I'm bringing 18 people (including a couple of RL virgins) up the M6 so let's hope it's an easier drive than the usual Friday night.

Come on Wigan!!!!!!
Stevethegas
si_bax

Post by si_bax »

shaunedwardsfan​club​ wrote:
Good news, heading for a full house. Let's hope we can put a show on.
This is how its looking at the moment, i am surprised the South Stand still has quite a few tickets left. I think we will get just over 20 thousand

Exiled Wiganer

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

The novelty certainly has not worn off. Got my 5 this morning, and for kids young (9 and 12) and old (92) that we are taking, this is pretty much as big as it gets. It will be so difficult, but I am hoping that, with Tommy back and George a year older, Escare a real threat from full back, and FPN and Tautai big and knowledgable enough to stand their ground, we will give a good account of ourselves. I think it will be much more like Brisbane '15 and St George than last year's game.