Re: World Champions

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Wandering Warrior

Post by Wandering Warrior »

I knew Escare was a half decent player at Cats, I suspect he could go up a level now with the back up he'll get with us.
It was a wonderful performance all round and capped off with the convicts' sons belly aching about the weather, the pitch and the officials!
Pass me the Hendricks and cucumber. :D
When John Byrom plays on snow, he doesn't leave any footprints - Jimmy Armfield
Wiganer Ted

Post by Wiganer Ted »

A great win.
Hope everyone who watched enjoyed a memorable event.
Well done to the players and coaching staff who made it all possible.
Kittwazzer

Post by Kittwazzer »

So Tommy is better than ever, George is world class and Morgan Escare is set to go really far. Can't disagree with any of that.

Which leaves us with an elephant in the room. And a very expensive one!
Wandering Warrior

Post by Wandering Warrior »

Yes, and it squirts water at itself! :D
When John Byrom plays on snow, he doesn't leave any footprints - Jimmy Armfield
cow yeds

Post by cow yeds »

Bateman was immense today.
mjdodge13

Post by mjdodge13 »

I was on the phone earlier talking about the game and started to mention the top performers such as Burgess and Williams..........by the end of the call I had mentioned the entire team (nearly) Tommy was immense in defence,, the entire pack worked themselves into the ground, especially Farrell and Bateman who were fantastic all day long, then Escare at full back was great in defence and showed very good game management. Gildart was a threat and is growing into a top class centre.........the list goes on and on, (shame Isa wasn't playing the game would have suited him.......week in week out top performer).............well done boys
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

Hard to criticise anyone but for me i'd have placed Escare,Bateman and Tommy in that order before George for man of the match,not that it really matters as they all performed superbly well.

While i think Escare is perhaps the long term answer to goal kicking i trust other young uns,shorrocks in particular get the kicking sorted to keep the right sort of pressure on him,but it's looking good though with Escare.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Great win. As Monie used to say defence wins matches but the attack looked pretty good as well.

I think the contribution Tommy will make to this side is obvious from that game. As someone else pointed out his defence is immense. So glad he is back.
standishcat

Post by standishcat »

My only quibble is I wanted Budgie to get MOM! :roll:
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Rugby league so brutal, says Latics boss

Latics manager Warren Joyce will be back at the DW Stadium tomorrow to watch stable-mates Wigan Warriors bid for a world title.

Shaun Wane’s Super League champions face Australian champions Cronulla Sharks in the World Club Challenge.

I’ve been to the last 10 Grand Finals, no matter who’s been playing

Joyce’s brother Wayne works for Warriors in their community department, and the ex-Manchester United Under-21s boss played the sport as a teenager - when his school teacher was none other than veteran BBC commentator Ray French.

“I’m going to be coming along, to have a nosey,” said Joyce, ahead of today’s mouthwatering derby with Preston.

“I remember the Sydney Roosters coming in to Manchester United last year to have a look round the facilities, the coaches talked to the reserve players, and it was really good.

“Obviously I’m a keen rugby fan - and this is the first time my brother has come good with getting me some tickets instead of the other way around!

“I’m very much looking forward to the game - hopefully after we’ve got three points on the Saturday.”

Joyce has watched Wane lead his side to the Super League title twice in the last four years.

“You obviously don’t get much spare time in this job, but I watch a lot of the night games and I’ve been to the last 10 Grand Finals at Old Trafford - no matter who’s been playing,” he said. “They’ve always been good occasions.”

Joyce revealed he showed rugby league to an American friend Lance Walker, who was once a conditioning coach at American Football giants Dallas Cowboys.

“He couldn’t believe it when he saw rugby league,” added Joyce. “He said, ‘We’ve got some big guys, but there’s no way they’d hit each other without padding - there’s no way’.

“He couldn’t believe the ferocity of the game, he was amazed. And I think people over here do take rugby league for granted a little bit. They’re used to seeing players hit one another with such ferocity, and they just think it’s normal.

“But people coming in from another country, they appreciate how fit, how brave, how strong the players are - and you take their hat off to them.”

http://www.wigantoday.net/sport/rugby-l ... -1-8396316
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan