Charnley to return in a season

Got a hot rumour from a source inside the club, or just something you heard down the pub? Then what are you waiting for, post it on The Rumour Mill.
TrueBlueWarrior

Re: Charnley to return in a season

Post by TrueBlueWarrior »

Wiganer Ted wrote:IL brought in Escare and Navarette. Escape is looking very good so far.
FPN, he doesn't look to bad either!
'If you start listening to the fans it won't be long before you're sitting with them.' - Wayne Bennett
Jimmy Birts

Post by Jimmy Birts »

Josie's friend wrote:Last season Josh was our best winger by far, if we can get him back we should. Looking forward to see how Lewis develops, I prefer him over Dom already. He seems to have a better rugby brain than Dom (if that makes sense lol)
You taking the mick?
Tierney is still a bombscare in defence
Josie's friend

Post by Josie's friend »

Jimmy Birts wrote:
Josie's friend wrote:Last season Josh was our best winger by far, if we can get him back we should. Looking forward to see how Lewis develops, I prefer him over Dom already. He seems to have a better rugby brain than Dom (if that makes sense lol)
You taking the mick?
No I think he's doing well, I'd like Josh back but I'm happy with how Lewis is playing. He'll only get better as the season goes on.
Peet_1987

Post by Peet_1987 »

Josh would make good cover in the centres for me as we still lack in depth in these positions - I think Tierney isn't quite good enough for superleague, he isn't tall enough or big enough Josh and Dom are far better in my opinion
thegimble

Post by thegimble »

Josie's friend wrote:
Jimmy Birts wrote:
You taking the mick?
No I think he's doing well, I'd like Josh back but I'm happy with how Lewis is playing. He'll only get better as the season goes on.
I agree also if we could not give Charnley the contract he got at Sale what makes people think he will come back on the same or lower.

Unless the cap gets changed then a player who will want as much as Josh wants will take players out of the squad. Tierney is an invaluable asset to the side given how much he will be on. We can not afford to have 3 international class wingers in the side earning so much.

We could be having a problem also with Gildart he will command a wage increase soon and he deserves it. We need to tie Burgess and Gildart down with any extra money we have instead of brining a player back.
Wiganer Ted

Post by Wiganer Ted »

Marshall is now lined up to play wing, with Gildart rested.
Tierney was as safe as you can get at Widnes as they kicked every downfield kick at him. He also looked very quick for his try.

The longer Josh is away the more difficult it will be for him to re-sign especially with the salary he would expect. The only way I could see him come back would be if he arrived the same time as a big earner departed.
Suzieb

Post by Suzieb »

No doubt Josh was a fantasic for Wigan during his time there but chose to move on wouldnt be fair for him to return and drop the wingers now they are doing a great job and i wouldnt have Sam back in Escari isnt doing a bad job either
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Suzieb wrote:No doubt Josh was a fantasic for Wigan during his time there but chose to move on wouldnt be fair for him to return and drop the wingers now they are doing a great job ....
If the club thought he'd improve the team and he was available they would sign him if they could. Fairness doesn't come into it.

As to salary (as others have mentioned), if he was surplus to requirements at Sale any offer from Wigan would not have to match his Sale salary. It would just have to be enough to stop him joining another RL club if he was coming back this way.
yokozuna

Post by yokozuna »

Could do with him back now for a few months!
Footballers spend 90 minutes pretending they're injured. Rugby League players spend 80 minutes pretending they're not.
endoman

Post by endoman »

Scored his first try for Sale last night.