Widnes match off

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
doc

Re: Widnes match off

Post by doc »

On RL Fans it is showing a 3pm kick off on Sunday with the match being televised. Is this a bit of spin i.e. bad news it's off then hey everyone we've pulled out all the stops and we will play it on Sunday to be announced tomorrow?
sheepdip

Post by sheepdip »

Makes you wonder how the hell Leneghan was able to become a successful businessman.
"A STRONG LEEDS IS GOOD FOR THE GAME" (Gratian, H 2006)
WiganWoman1968

Post by WiganWoman1968 »

Latics fans are loving this.
Widnes claim they weren't consulted?
It will be interesting to see what the rules are on postponement. Especially if football team can play the day after.
From World Champions to this. Our PR really is poor. You wouldn't run your own small business like this.
doc

Post by doc »

I know this sounds bad but maybe a points deduction would be a good thing. If we then missed out on the League Leaders because of it IL might grow a pair next time they come asking us to call off a match.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

doc wrote:On RL Fans it is showing a 3pm kick off on Sunday with the match being televised. Is this a bit of spin i.e. bad news it's off then hey everyone we've pulled out all the stops and we will play it on Sunday to be announced tomorrow?
News article on official web site discounts Sunday as an option in no uncertain terms. To do U turn on that would make the club look stupid. Even if it does already.
OJ

Post by OJ »

Never argue with an idiot. He will bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.

DaveO

Post by DaveO »

WiganWoman1968 wrote:Latics fans are loving this.
Widnes claim they weren't consulted?
It will be interesting to see what the rules are on postponement. Especially if football team can play the day after.
From World Champions to this. Our PR really is poor. You wouldn't run your own small business like this.
I long ago gave up on listening to Latics fans. No point.

I can't believe IL would unilaterally call a match off in breach of RFL rules. Widnes can say what they like and will do so to try and mollify their own fans who may be out of pocket also and I can't blame them if they do.

I'd be astonished of IL was in breach of the rules.

However that doesn't let him off the hook for all the disruption and cost to fans such as EW and others who spend a small fortune supporting Wigan. If neither us nor Latics could play this weekend due to the weather then despite being majorly out of pocket long distance fans would just have to accept it. Shit happens. But Latics playing and us not? There is no shit.
endoman

Post by endoman »

Thought we had a mega refurb last year so this sort of thing couldn't happen? Yet we come to our first match and the pitch is already v poor. Of course we will have 2 months or so away so it can be re laid again this year, making bugger all difference again. You simply couldn't make this stuff up! Was a ten hour round trip for us on Sunday, I shan't be repeating in a hurry. No wonder RL is in the mess it's in.
Kittwazzer

Post by Kittwazzer »

doc wrote:I know this sounds bad but maybe a points deduction would be a good thing. If we then missed out on the League Leaders because of it IL might grow a pair next time they come asking us to call off a match.
Don't think its a case of him 'growing a pair'. As long as the current set up prevails, we will always have to do as we're told. I can picture the meeting ending with Sharpe saying to Lenegan "Sorry, but is there any reason you're still here?"!

How humiliating must it be for someone of Lenegan's business stature to be spoken down to by some slip of a kid who couldn't even run a chip shop!
thegimble

Post by thegimble »

I long ago gave up on listening to Latics fans. No point.

I am with you DaveO.

Maybe us having to play second fiddle to them makes them happy. But it will not last long give the situation they are in. They go down another division they will not return any time soon.