Widnes match off

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
endoman

Re: Widnes match off

Post by endoman »

Kittwazzer wrote:
doc wrote:I know this sounds bad but maybe a points deduction would be a good thing. If we then missed out on the League Leaders because of it IL might grow a pair next time they come asking us to call off a match.
Don't think its a case of him 'growing a pair'. As long as the current set up prevails, we will always have to do as we're told. I can picture the meeting ending with Sharpe saying to Lenegan "Sorry, but is there any reason you're still here?"!

How humiliating must it be for someone of Lenegan's business stature to be spoken down to by some slip of a kid who couldn't even run a chip shop!
Very true, I don't know the answer, seems like our own ground is impossible? Imagine a ground and community club type place like the Aussies have, etc. An identity. Something we have never had at Robin Park. We could even stand up!! Others have managed it, the World Champs should not be in this position.
WiganWoman1968

Post by WiganWoman1968 »

DaveO wrote:
WiganWoman1968 wrote:Latics fans are loving this.
Widnes claim they weren't consulted?
It will be interesting to see what the rules are on postponement. Especially if football team can play the day after.
From World Champions to this. Our PR really is poor. You wouldn't run your own small business like this.
I long ago gave up on listening to Latics fans. No point.

I can't believe IL would unilaterally call a match off in breach of RFL rules. Widnes can say what they like and will do so to try and mollify their own fans who may be out of pocket also and I can't blame them if they do.

I'd be astonished of IL was in breach of the rules.

However that doesn't let him off the hook for all the disruption and cost to fans such as EW and others who spend a small fortune supporting Wigan. If neither us nor Latics could play this weekend due to the weather then despite being majorly out of pocket long distance fans would just have to accept it. Shit happens. But Latics playing and us not? There is no shit.
I agree with you on those points that poor weather may mean you have to postpone matches whether you are a football or a rugby supporter. And we all have to put up with that. But we are postponing and Latics are still playing. Any business man or woman can see that that doesn't line up. It looks bad.
WiganWoman1968

Post by WiganWoman1968 »

thegimble wrote:I long ago gave up on listening to Latics fans. No point.

I am with you DaveO.

Maybe us having to play second fiddle to them makes them happy. But it will not last long give the situation they are in. They go down another division they will not return any time soon.
But they still own the ground so they still have the power. Is what people are saying! Ian L could grow 6 pairs and he still wouldn't be able to have any influence. :(
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Why can't we reverse the fixture?

Play at Widnes ground tomorrow & play at the DW on 2nd July?
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
endoman

Post by endoman »

josie andrews wrote:Why can't we reverse the fixture?

Probably having the pitch dug up in July for Latics.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

endoman wrote:

I realised it would still be under its six week maintenance programme after I posted it
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Widnes Vikings wish to apologise for the confusion surrounding the status of their fixture with Wigan Warriors, scheduled for tomorrow evening.
James Rule, CEO of Widnes Vikings, says: "At 6.30pm, I received a call from Kris Radlinski who informed me that Wigan Atheltic and Ian Lenagan had agreed to the postponement of our fixture, due to the condition of their pitch and the importance of Wigan Athletic's upcoming fixture.
As we have not been involved in any consultation prior to this announcement, we are unable to comment further at this stage. We will do so in due course."
Widnes official page
jasonnlouise

Post by jasonnlouise »

About time we looked into funding our own stadium we wouldn't have this problem,we'll be lucky not to get punished for this.
endoman

Post by endoman »

josie andrews wrote:
endoman wrote:

I realised it would still be under its six week maintenance programme after I posted it
I only posted in jest, you couldn't make it up could you?
EDINBURGH-WARRIOR

Post by EDINBURGH-WARRIOR »

josie andrews wrote:
Widnes Vikings wish to apologise for the confusion surrounding the status of their fixture with Wigan Warriors, scheduled for tomorrow evening.
James Rule, CEO of Widnes Vikings, says: "At 6.30pm, I received a call from Kris Radlinski who informed me that Wigan Atheltic and Ian Lenagan had agreed to the postponement of our fixture, due to the condition of their pitch and the importance of Wigan Athletic's upcoming fixture.
As we have not been involved in any consultation prior to this announcement, we are unable to comment further at this stage. We will do so in due course."
Widnes official page
Not including Widnes in the discussions re this postponement is at best discurscurtious and downrite ignorant.Gobal coverage of Superleague is a laugh . Lennigan cant even comunicate with his own fans or a club 10 miles down the road .

Regards EW
2002 and EW is hooked