Gildart out for three months with 'serious back injury'!!

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Gildart out for three months with 'serious back injury'!!

Post by josie andrews »

Oliver Gildart is facing up to three months on the sidelines following a back injury sustained in Friday’s 26-18 loss at Leeds. The centre was hurt in a ‘crusher tackle’ by Leeds forward Brett Ferres that earned his opponent a spell in the sin-bin.

“He’s in pain, he’s struggling really bad,” said Shaun Wane. “He’s gone seeing a neurologist. We do know it’s a very serious back injury. “It’s going to be two or three months out, unfortunately. “Our only concern is making sure Oli’ is good and make sure his family’s looked after, and we manage this serious injury as best we can.”

The Rugby Football League’s match review panel will decide today whether to charge Ferres, who apologised to Gildart afterwards and said on social media he would “never intentionally want to hurt a player”. Wane added: “I just want the RFL to deal with it, that’s their job, my job is to make sure we beat Castleford on Thursday.”

Gildart was making his return to the team after a four-week layoff with a shoulder injury. The academy-product - who broke into the side two years ago - had made a sizzling start to the season, scoring five tries in his first three matches.

He said there was a “remote chance” centre Anthony Gelling and second rower Liam Farrell back to face the Tigers. He’s in pain, he’s struggling really bad Sean O’Loughlin, Joe Burgess, Lewis Tierney and Micky McIlorum could return either side of Easter. Sam Tomkins, Dom Manfredi and John Bateman are out longer-term.

http://www.wigantoday.net/sport/rugby-l ... -1-8472942
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
josie andrews

Re: Gildart out for three months with 'serious back injury'! I'll let the RFL sort it out

Post by josie andrews »

Wane on 'crusher' tackle

Shaun Wane is facing the prospect of more injury woe as he waits to see if Oliver Gildart will have to sit out next Thursday’s clash with Castleford.

The centre was making his return from a four-match layoff with a shoulder injury in Friday’s 26-18 loss to Leeds Rhinos but found himself on the wrong end of a ‘crusher’ tackle from Rhinos forward Brett Ferres.

It was his neck, he’s gone and he couldn’t breathe
Shaun Wane
Ferres was sin-binned for the offence a minute before half-time, but Gildart couldn’t carry on after coming back out for the second period.

“I’ll let the RFL sort it out. He’s not good at all,” Wane said when asked what he thought of the tackle.

“It was his neck, he’s gone and he couldn’t breathe.

Explaining why Gildart started the second half, Wane added: “Under the ruling, if he doesn’t go out he’s done for the game - once your 15 minutes are up - and that includes half-time.”

The genius of George Williams kept Wigan in the contest as the England No.6 danced over the Leeds line for two tries and Liam Marshall sped away in the second half to score.

But Ryan Hall, Joel Moon, Kallum Watkins and Carl Ablett all struck for Leeds, leaving Wane ‘devastated’ as his run without a win at Headlingley since 2012 rumbles on.

And the coach also said he wants to see more from Williams.

“We need some better stuff of him apart from that, the same with Tommy (Leuluai), the same with Sam Powell. We need to be better.”

“I’m depressed.

“I thought we could have won it. Just dumb, not smart enough.

“They’re a fantastic team. I thought they were the best team on the day, but effort - I’ve got a load of young kids who give everything - but at this level effort’s not enough.

“If we lacked effort then I’m gone but we’ll always come up with good effort.

“If we’d been a bit smarter at certain points in that game we’d have got it but I don’t want to take anything away from Leeds.”

Wigan host Castleford on Thursday looking to overturn a run of a draw and two losses, and despite not expecting a host of players to return from injury Wane is confident he can plot a win against a side which beat Huddersfield 52-16 last night.

“If we’re smarter then we’ve a chance against Cas,” he said.

http://www.wigantoday.net/sport/rugby-l ... -1-8470358
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
BriH

Re: Gildart out for three months with 'serious back injury'!!

Post by BriH »

Olly should sue Ferres for damages.
Garry Riley

Post by Garry Riley »

Ferres charged with a grade E, max of 8 game ban. Not enough even if he does get 8 games.
Sound & Vision - TV Audio Video - Sales - Service
5miler

Post by 5miler »

I suggested on another thread that if injured player is out for a long time then why not ban the responsible player for that length of time plus 1 game extra? 2-3 months is only a guess atm.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

WOLVES host Leeds Rhinos on Friday, kick off 8pm, and the visitors are set to be without a key player for their trip to The Halliwell Jones Stadium.

Second-rower Brett Ferres looks almost certain to miss Friday’s game after being hit with a dangerous contact charge from the RFL.

The England international was sin-binned in his side’s win over Wigan on Friday for a ‘crusher’ tackle on Oliver Gildart and now faces a Grade E dangerous contact charge.

Ferres does not have the option of an Early Guilty Plea for the charge.

http://www.warringtonguardian.co.uk/spo ... ves_clash/
BriH

Post by BriH »

He absolutely should get the max of 8 as a warning to other thugs,
The tackle should be outlawed and any player found guilty subsequent should get a 20 match ban.
Yes, I'm very very angry about this.
Olly's career could be over because of this.
OJ

Post by OJ »

Totally agree with 5miler on this - that's the very least Ferres should get.
Folk bang on about Ben Flower in the infamous grand final but at least Ben was provoked and didn't actually cause any serious injury to Lance Hohaia just provided him with the possibility of an academy award for acting.
This tackle was very deliberate and extremely nasty and hope the RFL grow a pair and recognise that but I'll not hold my breath
Never argue with an idiot. He will bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Toosmooth

Post by Toosmooth »

Gildart was pushing up. The only way for Ferres to complete the tackle, was to push him back down. It's unfortunate Gildart got injured, but a 4 game would be harsh IMO. Ferres has had a checkered past, but he's a victim of circumstances here.
yokozuna

Post by yokozuna »

Toosmooth wrote:Gildart was pushing up. The only way for Ferres to complete the tackle, was to push him back down. It's unfortunate Gildart got injured, but a 4 game would be harsh IMO. Ferres has had a checkered past, but he's a victim of circumstances here.
What? Ferres lifted him up in order to carry out a crusher tackle! He knew exactly what he was doing and the possible consequences.

Next you'll be advocating that he didn't mean to do what he did with a team-mate's wife, he just slipped and she was pushing back...
Footballers spend 90 minutes pretending they're injured. Rugby League players spend 80 minutes pretending they're not.